POS Roundtable 2020

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: POS Roundtable 2020

Post by treefarmer »

Just now gettin' back in the house, had to leave after I opened a package from South Florida around noon! Well I did take a nap before I went to the woods this evening. :)
Our man Tony (aka Tsar Bomba) sent a heavy box our way, it weighed 2 pounds and was full of real stuff! :roll: I did appreciate his selection of several pieces of special cutlery from the well know knife maker P.A. Kistan, his work never ceases to amaze me! The orange Barlow is a piece of work, it is boldly marked STEELLESS/PAKISTAN. :)
STEELLESS BARLOW made by our man P.A. Kistan
STEELLESS BARLOW made by our man P.A. Kistan
Then there was another from Mr. Kistan, looks like a Mini-Trapper. I imagine Jerryd or Q will try to talk me out this one. It has fat wooden handles.
As I rooted through Tony's contribution, I spotted another amazing knife. It was imported all the way from far away China. I believe it is very innovative in that Barlow knives have been redesigned and will soon all look like this:
Barlow, new style
Barlow, new style
Tony included a real Robeson Daddy Barlow 512224, well used but could still be used:
Robeson 512224 Daddy Barlow
Robeson 512224 Daddy Barlow
The box also contained Keen Kutter, K01881, beautiful old bone handles but sadly the blades are almost none existent. ::shrug:: Included too was a small Western 6504 that is stamped WHITTLER under the number, well used of course. There is also an IDEAL knife from Providence and a razor lookin' thing with what may be a horn handle/frame, stamped on the fairly sharp blade is KASIM (?) Also in the wad was a brand spankin' new Remington big Barlow from China, interesting handles. ::tu::
Truly the most interesting knife is a little yellow handled Colonial Tuxedo. The nail file is actually riveted to a tang rather than being one piece.:
Colonial Tuxedo with 2 piece nail file blade.
Colonial Tuxedo with 2 piece nail file blade.
Last of all, Tony what on earth is this?:
Tony, Tony
Tony, Tony
The whole pile:
014.JPG
Thank you Tsar Bomba for an interesting POS! ::handshake::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

cody6268 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:09 am
glennbad wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:45 pm I had a package on my desk at work today, along with a note from my co-worker who dropped it off (something about finding a new job maybe???)

Well, Doglegg, you sure know how to play this game. I see you sharing some nice knives on the forum. Apparently, you kept all of those to yourself, LOL.

Don't get me wrong, there are a few interesting items, so it's not all hopeless, but there are definitely stinkers in there.

Well done!

POS2020.jpg

Oh yeah, the keychain screwdriver is something only a zoomie could appreciate!

Those little pen screwdrivers are quite handy to have. Advance Auto has them for like a couple bucks, and I buy one every time I'm there. Main reason--uh, every time I use them, I lose a couple of the bits. A: leaving it on the workpiece B: forgetting to put the cap back on.
Cody, I may regret throwing in the screw driver when I have to start repairing my glasses with tape. ::dang::
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Oh Philip, maybe you can hide some of those under all that fallen timber. Condolences. ::tear::
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

treefarmer wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:16 am The box also contained Keen Kutter, K01881, beautiful old bone handles but sadly the blades are almost none existent. ::shrug::
It's a good knife if you keep the blades closed. ::rotflol:: Believe it or not, even the pen blade can be opened. There's still a remnant of the nail nick and I have used that blade to cut (very small) things before. ::nod:: it's built on the Camillus #41 frame, if you're interested in attempting to revive it. As you said, the bones are real nice.
Last of all, Tony what on earth is this?
:lol: I suspect it's what the post-war Japanese believed people in the West used to eat their food outside.
Thank you Tsar Bomba for an interesting POS! ::handshake::
I'm glad it survived the transit without getting shunted off to a bomb squad or a HazMat team. I'm even gladder I was able to get rid of that pile! I hope it brings you enjoyment. :mrgreen:
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

It's amazing what shows up in the POS Roundtables! How did we acquire such wonderful pieces to share with each other. I'd be hard pressed to own up to buying or trading for most of this stuff but I'm still guilty of owing more POS fodder. Lookin' forward to next year! ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
EWMailman

Post by EWMailman »

Well, i thought it odd to see buzzards circling the building when I got to work yesterday (they are not normally in SC Pa. this time of year), but the mystery was soon solved. My box from knifegnome was inside waiting. The buzzards must have followed it from Florida. Anyway, I opened it last night and this is what I found: Imperial--China--Victorinox--Sabre (Japan)--Vignos--Case. I think I will actually find a use for the Vignos and the Case. My wife has put in a request for one to use in the chicken coop (appropriate destination!!!) so, all in all, not too bad. Thanks Scott.
Attachments
DSC01263.JPG
DSC01264.JPG
DSC01265.JPG
DSC01266.JPG
DSC01267.JPG
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

EWMailman wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:36 pm I think I will actually find a use for the Vignos and the Case. My wife has put in a request for one to use in the chicken coop (appropriate destination!!!) so, all in all, not too bad. Thanks Scott.
LOL... I read this as your "wife's request for..... chicken POOP".... LOL.

You know.... I'm just glad the stink isn't able to come thru the net..... This thread would be a REAL STINKER....

:shock: ::barf::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Well I got my batch last night from petesknives and it’s an odd bunch, the American Blade lockback is cool. Thanks
Attachments
7D8171B5-CF0D-4D16-BE6E-4CFD607B2826.jpeg
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

So...... was there any blades in the razor blade box?
(I have the razor that fits those meat slicers....)
:shock:
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

EWM, glad it's you and not me but the little florist knife and the sodbuster look like pretty knice knives. ::nod::
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

galvanic1882 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:50 pm Well I got my batch last night from petesknives and it’s an odd bunch, the American Blade lockback is cool. Thanks
The American Blade does look out of place. Hope it is not too bad contaminated from the rest.
bladebuddy

Post by bladebuddy »

Jody744, hope you are feeling better now that you got rid of the poo package.
I checked the tracking number and it looks like the package was diverted to a bovine quarantine holding pen because of some brown ooze leaking from it. Sounds interesting, can’t wait to get it. ::barf:: ::barf:: ::barf::
Steve B.
Keep your edge sharp, otherwise you just can't cut it.

Looking for Carrier Cutlery and early Robeson with Elmira tang stamps.
richard

Post by richard »

i went out this morning, to find the mail woman, slumped over the mail box.
she had this brown box in her hand,i had to give her a shot of whiskey, to get her on her way.
i opened the said box, with caution.
inside i found many delights. and one beast of a thing.stamped LF&co. new britan ?
thank you jerry for being my +1 drawer.
i will clean up the colonial's and the meriden.
my 14 year old daughter has claimed. the swiss knife,and the camping tool.
my wife wants the bear mop lock knife.
i will use the pruning knife with the anchor on it , on my fruit trees in the fall.
and the small blade with the para cord on it.
the LF & CO KNIFE. is truly some thing out of a night mare, that only freddy kruger would carry.
thanks again jerry, there were no socks , only a strange leather finger puppet ?
Attachments
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

That is really a treasure trove, richard. Jerry knows real "kwality" or is it "koalaity" when he sees it. ::groove::
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Richard, anytime both wife and daughter make claims it is a good day. ::tu:: ::tu::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Richard, please, please, please be sure to caution your daughter to be extremely careful with the Swiss knife. That sucker is so sharp it will cut you just by looking at it. I was carrying one for a while and used it to cut some pizza. When I tried to wipe the pizza goo off the blade with a paper napkin, it sliced through several layers of napkin and sliced me. True story. As far as the camping knife, good luck getting that bad boy apart and if you do, good luck getting it back together again. :lol: :lol: :lol:

So the Queen claimed the Queen of the crop? :lol: :lol: Maybe it will get carried now. ::woot::

As for the rest of it? Pure low rent district.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
richard

Post by richard »

thank you for the warning jerry.she will just get the camp tool for now. the bear mop is real nice,my girlfreind. might get it.not the wife. :D
the colonial swell end jack is really nice to me,i will keep that for sure.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

This year David, DM11, drew my name in the POS Roundtable. Although David has been a member here for about three years I don’t know him very well. I got a PM from him telling me he had mailed me two packages a day or two apart in the first one had been mailed on the 22nd.
My wife and I were gone most of last week while we had our hardwood floors refinished. We got home Friday and immediately had all of the nose hairs singed out of our nasal passages by the smell of the Swedish Finish that was applied to the hardwood floor. I went to the PO Box Sunday to get the mail and the first box was small and they had put it in my PO Box. When I got the mail out and saw the box I thought this could not possibly be related to the POS Roundtable because I didn't smell anything. And then I thought oh wait, the hardwood floor finish has probably removed my sense of smell at least temporarily. So I did something, in retrospect rather foolish; I got in my car and opened the package! For those of you who are new to the POS exchange I recommend you never opened the POS box/envelope in any enclosed space, especially not a car! It can be deadly! ::teary_eyes::

But because my brain was still mush from two days of smelling hardwood floor finish I foolishly open the box in the car but I managed to dodge the bullet! No noxious green vapors rolled out of the box, no acrid fumes assaulted my abused nasal passages; instead in the box lay two beautiful Camillus Barlows! I opened the first one and it could have been fresh from the Camillus factory 20 years ago! It was absolutely gorgeous! I'm thinking to myself, David does not understand what a POS exchange is all about! I opened the second Barlow, and it had been used and someone had sharpen it badly, it had a little belly taken out of the blade. Nothing that could not have been straightened up and made into an outstanding user, just not a perfect mint Camillus Barlow. ::disgust::
2020 POS - a.jpg
2020 POS - b.jpg

Now I knew for sure that David did not understand what a POS Roundtable was all about! I knew I was going to have to gently break it to him that he had somehow missed the mark for POS Roundtables and teach him some of my finer points and techniques of how to rid ones shop and collection of those smelly little things that accumulate in the corners. I feel a tutorial a brewing! ::hmm::

While I waited for Monday to roll around ::pace:: I began thinking of the pointers I would give David after opening the second box which would no doubt be at least as good as the first box. ::nod::

Monday rolled around and I went to the post office and picked up THE BOX. The postal clerk made retching sounds as I left and the woman behind me was holding her nose. I thought that was particularly rude because I had just taken a shower that morning! My sense of smell still had not recovered from the Swedish Finish on the hardwood floor. Once I got into the car and shut the door I began to notice there actually was a rather foul odor emanating from the box. I rolled the windows down and quickly drove home, leaving the wretched smelling box on the front porch until I could deal with that that evening.

Monday evening rolled around and I went outside to feed the cat and retrieve the offending box. My wife's cat, named Jorge, was in the neighbors yard pretending like he was puking, Jorge always has been one for dramatics. There were two dead crows and a squirrel laying on the porch between the package and the cat's dish. I thought perhaps Jorge had enjoyed better than usual hunting that day but then I could see the crows were not actually dead they had just held their breath so long they passed out. The first time I've ever seen red-faced crows! ::censored::

I got the box and walked into the house and as I walked into the family room and out to my shop my wife said, "Would you please go outside if you have gas?!" I had told her the package was coming and she is familiar with the annual POS ritual. I said, "It's not me hon, just the POS box." She said, in a loud near hysterical voice, "You shut that door real good and turn the fan on in that shop! Don't you come back in here until all of the odor is gone!" And just before and I got the door closed, a crochet hook came flying through the rapidly closing crack of the door at warp speed and stuck in the opposite wall of my shop. For some reason when my wife yells her hands seem to make throwing motions. I think it's a genetic disorder. ::paranoid::

I went in the shop and after turning on all three vacuums I use for my dust collection system, turning on the air conditioner to blow fresh air and donning my respirator I opened the box. There, in its own little baggie was a very innocent looking Camillus number 53. I opened it up and noticed it had a little staining and it needed to be cleaned up, but it was nowhere near a POS! Now I was really worrying about David's comprehension of the term POS. Maybe he came from a retail background and thought POS meant point-of-sale?
2020 POS - c.jpg

Well, I would have to straighten him out in a private PM, no point in embarrassing the poor fellow in front of all the other forum members! ::nod::

I look back in the box and there was another plastic bag with something in it... :shock:
2020 POS - d.jpg

The shocking thing was I recognized those smelly little POSs! They were POSs I had pulled out of my toil.., I mean culled from my herd last year! I sent POSs to David last year and here I was thinking I sent them to Glennbad..... of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most!
But you should note that I am NOT completely insane, I DID NOT open that last baggie! ::cb::

When the smoke and stench had finally cleared and I stopped laughing, I went back into the house and told my wife that I had received knives that I had sent out in a previous POS Roundtable. My wife having somehow forgotten the previous stench chuckled and observed, "I have heard of regifting, but I've never heard of re-POSsing. There must be a law against it, it sounds terribly unsanitary!" ::uc::

Well played David! ::not_worthy:: ::clapping:: ::not_worthy::
I will spare you my tutorial on how to do a proper POS exchange.
I will save it for some needy newbie just as soon as I add a new chapter on re-POSsing.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Dale. A 53? You got a 53 and it has the pattern stamped on it and everything? That's a great little knife and it boggles my mind that Camillus would only make the pattern for such a short time (that has to be it because they are so difficult to find). You lucky duck.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Jerry I was thinking the same thing. A 53 in the POS exchange, Wow! You have joined the ranks of a small club. Congrats. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::handshake::
Scale Military

Post by Scale Military »

Tracking number: LM130730947CA
Watch out Tsar, you have a "package" coming your way.
I even found a couple of memes to put it in perspective.......... ::super_happy::
Attachments
Bombs-Away-Screams-Below-meme.jpg
The drop - Imgur.png
William C. Westmoreland "The military don't start wars. Politicians start wars."
George S. Patton Jr. "Live for something rather than die for nothing."
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

::rotflol::

I'll be in my nuclear bunker. :mrgreen:
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

I just found out that my pos has made it into Canada. Unfortunately, it’s in Quebec. ::teary_eyes::
Quebec has been looking for a reason to separate from the rest of Canada for decades. I hope it doesn’t cause an incident! ::paranoid::
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
bladebuddy

Post by bladebuddy »

Well my poo package from Jody arrived. The postman’s Jeep was being followed by our local fire departments HAZMAT team truck. The driver said it looks like my package could be used as a training exercise in disposal of toxic material.
I let them have their fun and retrieved the box from the dumpster after they left.

The actual contents didn’t seem all that bad, the green keychain has a light that works, the red SAKs are in good condition made in China, the little black lock back is actually a Buck USA 425. Knice knife! The name Walt is etched on the blade (Walt if you are reading this send me a PM and I’ll get it back to you). The gold keychain is a unused Colonial with Fraternal Order of Eagles, aerie no. 763 Shelby Ohio printed on it. Next is two sheaths from Frost.
The red handled tactical is a Tomahawk but one side of the handle is sticky like the plastic is deteriorating. This must be S part of POS. The bone handled cigar jack is the real gem. It’s a Boker that has a main blade that can pivot about 270 degrees. It’s the only knife in my collection that can do that. Thanks for the pile Jody.
Attachments
A97ECD4E-87C2-4638-9E2D-96D3A12EEA1F.jpeg
Steve B.
Keep your edge sharp, otherwise you just can't cut it.

Looking for Carrier Cutlery and early Robeson with Elmira tang stamps.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Well played my Ga. buddy. ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009

Return to “General Knife Discussion”