Do you recognize anything about this tang stamp? Thanks in advance!

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
PACKLEAD3R

Do you recognize anything about this tang stamp? Thanks in advance!

Post by PACKLEAD3R »

Thank you in advance!
Attachments
20191203_171902.jpg
20191203_171826.jpg
20191203_171920.jpg
20191203_171915.jpg
20191203_171755.jpg
Stay fluid and ever changing... "I heard it in some movie, sometime, someday. Shucks it's hard to say" ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::

J.Gilmer ::handshake::
ea42

Re: Do you recognize anything about this tang stamp? Thanks in advance!

Post by ea42 »

That's a George Kay Knife. He operated a cutlery company in Esopus NY during the mid to late 1800's if I remember correctly. How about a pic of the whole knife? It's not often you see knives from that maker. More often than not it's a hobo knife.

Eric
PACKLEAD3R

Post by PACKLEAD3R »

Oh yeah you bet I can & will. So... Should Goins Encyclopedia have something about it? I'm not seeing it. 1800's like none made in 1900's? Sorry I'm still a little green to it all.

Split back whittler missing a blade and a pen blade was welded on original ? Probably not
Attachments
15754282002953367966824363035638.jpg
Stay fluid and ever changing... "I heard it in some movie, sometime, someday. Shucks it's hard to say" ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::

ea42

Post by ea42 »

Very cool! The welded blade might be original, but it sure didn't come that way. Hey, it works and that's what counts for a user. Definitely not 1900's. I think he closed up shop by 1890 or even sooner.

Eric
PACKLEAD3R

Post by PACKLEAD3R »

What is the value on something like this example? I couldn't find anything in Goins Encyclopedia, or OPG to collectable knives. Thanks! Great info and I appreciate it.

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Not much. Rare does not necessarily equal valuable. Condition leaves much to be desired. I’d guess $10 at best. Maybe $20, if you find a buyer that wants to add a different stamp to their collection, or has some connection to where it was made. JMO

Pocket knives follow the same economic rules as other goods - supply and demand. Even if supply is low you have to have demand.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
PACKLEAD3R

Post by PACKLEAD3R »

Very true. I put it in with mine. Untill a better example comes along. Would you say the Knife pattern plays as much a part as the brand or is it all brand and condition? Sorry I'm definitely still wet behind the ears when it comes to value.
Thanks for your insight.

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Pattern plays a part. Regardless the pattern someone probably collects it, but some patterns like trappers and whittlers for example, are popular with a lot of collectors (before someone jumps on me, those are just some examples :lol: ). For example I’m a sucker for whittlers and have overpaid for some. ::facepalm::

Other patterns like small pens, as a general rule don’t seem to bring top dollar. Maybe they’re just too common. ::shrug:: Lots of supply! Of course there are some who collect them too, and there are some that for whatever reason are expensive.

But there are other factors, like handle material, color, or just about anything else you can think of, that appeal to someone. For example there are threads here on AAPK bemoaning that small pearls don’t have higher value. Same for Case Classics. And so on. Someone thinks they should be more valued and asks “why not.” Hard to explain why some knives are more sought after than others. ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “General Knife Discussion”