The tag reads: UNITED NATIONS PEACE KEEPING FORCES

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

The tag reads: UNITED NATIONS PEACE KEEPING FORCES

Post by TripleF »

I bought this at the flea market yesterday and this hand writtern tag was attached and the guy said he was told
it was fact.

Any help in verifyuing!!

PS - Any extra letters in words automatically become silent :mrgreen:
Attachments
IMG_1790.JPG
IMG_1791.JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: The tag reads: UNITED NATIONS PEACE KEEPING FORCES

Post by edge213 »

Looking forward to the answers to this.
I know nothing about it.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

That's really a good find Scott if the claim can be backed up. Is it a Swiss Army?
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

dlr110 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:04 pm That's really a good find Scott if the claim can be backed up. Is it a Swiss Army?
Indeed it is.
SCOTT

dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

TripleF wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:05 pm
dlr110 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:04 pm That's really a good find Scott if the claim can be backed up. Is it a Swiss Army?
Indeed it is.
This is the closest one I've found, but of course it doesn't prove anything.
Victorinox_German_Army_Knife_1985.JPG
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Nice story, but to me it looks like a run-of-the-mill Victorinox Trooper. The Trooper is simply the civilian version of the GAK (German Army Knife).

https://sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Trooper
Attachments
(Image courtesy of sakwiki)
(Image courtesy of sakwiki)
Josh

/|\

“Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature, unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping.”
— Hubert Reeves
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Greenman wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:29 pm Nice story, but to me it looks like a run-of-the-mill Victorinox Trooper. The Trooper is simply the civilian version of the GAK (German Army Knife).

https://sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Trooper

Yup, kinda thought it was a make believe story....thanks pal! ::handshake::
SCOTT

KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

I suspect that; this hand written tag was used as a selling gimmick. Not that you were duped, Scott, but that you found it interesting and 'different'. Nevertheless, IMHO, I would think that if the seller presented it as "fact", then he should have some sort of viable story to prove his tag statement, or at least asked more questions from whomever told him it was a fact. If not, then I just see it as another deceptive selling strategy. I could be wrong, and don't mean to be overly judgmental, but I am playing devil's advocate here. Either way, you got yourself a nice little knife. ::tu::

BTW: I just spent 30 minutes conducting an extensive net search for knives being issued to UN Peace Keeping forces and came up with nada, zilch, nothing.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I have two knives that were supposedly issued to the German military(not NATO);one made by Aitor in Spain and the other a Wengerinox marked Mauser. Cannot verify this but that is what they were supposed to be.
Attachments
AitorGranCapitan1.JPG
MauserMulti-Blade1.JPG
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

knife7knut wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:07 pm I have two knives that were supposedly issued to the German military(not NATO);one made by Aitor in Spain and the other a Wengerinox marked Mauser. Cannot verify this but that is what they were supposed to be.
Ray, both knives you show are civilian versions. Since its creation, the Bundeswehr has had two models.
1. GAK108mm 5110-12-162-8215 from 1976 to 2003
2. GAK 111mm (One Hand) 5110-12-355-6854 - 2003 -
Attachments
156157391c6j77.jpg
ohgak1112071jx2.jpg
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I am not really sure if it is correct or not. The UN could easily have just bought plain Troopers, but I don't see any evidence to support this. Honestly, if I'd saw the tag, I probably would have asked for some proof. Even something word of mouth like the seller, or someone he knew saying they were issued the tool while overseas. Typically, there would be a marking on the knife with "UN" an NSN, or similar.

There is a NATO version of the Trooper, with NATO on the engraving panel printed in white capital letters.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Eustace wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:37 pm
knife7knut wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:07 pm I have two knives that were supposedly issued to the German military(not NATO);one made by Aitor in Spain and the other a Wengerinox marked Mauser. Cannot verify this but that is what they were supposed to be.
Ray, both knives you show are civilian versions. Since its creation, the Bundeswehr has had two models.
1. GAK108mm 5110-12-162-8215 from 1976 to 2003
2. GAK 111mm (One Hand) 5110-12-355-6854 - 2003 -
Georgi:Thank you for that qualification;I will add the info to my files.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

KLJ77 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:19 pm I suspect that; this hand written tag was used as a selling gimmick. Not that you were duped, Scott, but that you found it interesting and 'different'. Nevertheless, IMHO, I would think that if the seller presented it as "fact", then he should have some sort of viable story to prove his tag statement, or at least asked more questions from whomever told him it was a fact. If not, then I just see it as another deceptive selling strategy. I could be wrong, and don't mean to be overly judgmental, but I am playing devil's advocate here. Either way, you got yourself a nice little knife. ::tu::

BTW: I just spent 30 minutes conducting an extensive net search for knives being issued to UN Peace Keeping forces and came up with nada, zilch, nothing.
Come to find out this model was actually a NATO issued knife, check the bvariations in this link:
https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Trooper

My model is 111mm, not 108mm
SCOTT

Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

I’m unfamiliar with the UN or NATO issuing gear of any type other than campaign medals or identification. The member states issue their regular gear to Soldiers that serve in peace keeping missions. The US forces involved use their own gear and the US spends their own money anytime it conducts a UN or NATO operation. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

TripleF wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:49 am
KLJ77 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:19 pm I suspect that; this hand written tag was used as a selling gimmick. Not that you were duped, Scott, but that you found it interesting and 'different'. Nevertheless, IMHO, I would think that if the seller presented it as "fact", then he should have some sort of viable story to prove his tag statement, or at least asked more questions from whomever told him it was a fact. If not, then I just see it as another deceptive selling strategy. I could be wrong, and don't mean to be overly judgmental, but I am playing devil's advocate here. Either way, you got yourself a nice little knife. ::tu::

Come to find out this model was actually a NATO issued knife, check the bvariations in this link:
https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Trooper

My model is 111mm, not 108mm
The NATO version of the Trooper had the NATO compass rose emblem and the letters “NATO” stencilled in white in the rectangular engraving panel on the mark side of the OD nylon scales. This stencil can be removed with hard usage and/or exposure to solvents.
Attachments
Random image found on the internet
Random image found on the internet
Josh

/|\

“Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature, unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping.”
— Hubert Reeves

Return to “General Knife Discussion”