Help...with knife brand

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Rangerman

Help...with knife brand

Post by Rangerman »

Can anyone help me identify this knife? Found it in my Dad’s collection when he passed.

Thank you
Attachments
B2538AD2-F23A-46FB-AD11-DA973FB512F5.jpeg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Help...with knife brand

Post by 1967redrider »

🤔 With a Patent Number stamped like that I would guess Imperial. But there's a way to look up Patent Numbers too.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Maybe an Imperial? They were known for putting the patent number on their tang. Please measure the the length of the knife when closed, and take clear close-up pictures of any stamps, engravings or markings on any of the blades.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Rangerman

Post by Rangerman »

Closed - 3 3/8”

Blade 2.5”

Can’t really make out the last three digits on patent number so I attached two from a slightly different angle.

Thanks for the help.
Attachments
147CCBD9-98B1-447C-83B7-B4618C6F6A94.jpeg
53571902-9DD3-4E38-8509-D73882AAE822.jpeg
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

OK, this will require some speculation, but it's the best I've got...

If you look here : http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/ ... atents.htm

There is one patent number that might match: http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/ ... 297855.pdf

The application was filed in 1940 & granted in 1942 to Utica Knife Company.

That doesn't mean your knife is from 1942, it means it was *after* 1942. But, in my (limited) experience, they tended to put the last patents that applied on the knife, and as you can see from that patent list, they were making improvements all the time. So, (again, speculation) I would say the knife is probably 40s or 50s. Maybe. It could have been made by Utica under contract to someone else, and perhaps that is why it isn't stamped Utica. I don't know much about Utica & Imperial, so hopefully someone else can use my speculations to provide more help.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett

Return to “General Knife Discussion”