Anyone else like Pal/Remington transition knives?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
oldpocketknives

Anyone else like Pal/Remington transition knives?

Post by oldpocketknives »

Pretty cool early Pal knives that are always marked Pal Blade Co rather than Pal Cultery Co. I assume these would be from late 1930's/early 1940's when Pal used the leftover Remington parts. This is a 4" stockman with lighter colored bone handles. And no, this is not an affiliate link! :lol: :lol:
Attachments
pal1.jpg
pal2.jpg
pal3.JPG
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right" - Henry Ford

Check out my website: https://oldpocketknives.com/
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Anyone else like Pal/Remington transition knives?

Post by doglegg »

Cool looking old knife. I think the only Pal I have in the Navy general knife. ::tu::
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

I’m a sucker for stockmans and that makes me drool.
Here are some even earlier ones - Pal Brand. I believe these would be pre 1935. I’ll throw in my battered RH 36 Pal military knife.
4C37528F-0194-4276-A6CB-5AA9DB34942B.jpeg
AA75B0E7-3CD6-4400-8251-25CAE281D065.jpeg
0770071C-C6CF-423F-AB6D-0BAB418C4732.jpeg
E6B2A1C8-53A7-4870-814A-2C1CB365BBD1.jpeg
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

C7D1AA01-3C2C-4A22-9133-E0A67E98732A.jpeg
92C21712-B0F9-42E6-BE47-F7381AAA014D.jpeg
A bit better shots of the stag’s tang and the whole pen.
I really like Pal. I try to nab any I run across. Probably sentimental because my first decent fixed is the wood handled one.
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

A shot of the RH 36 tang.
E4C36EB2-F0B0-41AC-8104-91FEE68F2C00.jpeg
oldpocketknives

Cool knives, thanks for posting Zoogirl. I really like that stag fixed blade! You are right, I think the PAL BRAND knives are earlier then the other markings. They could be of German origin.

Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

A little Pal/Remington timeline. Pal and Pal Cutlery Co was first used as a brand by UK&R, (Utica Knife & Razor) in or around 1924. In 1934 Pal Blade Co was formed in Chicago, a different firm than UK&R. In 1939 Both Pal Blade and Pal Cutlery merged. In 1940 they bought Reminton's cutlery division. Remington/Pal transition knives are considered those with both Pal and Remington blades in them or knives put together by Pal from Remington parts, more often seen in fixed blades. I would not call any of the knives shown so far as "transition" knives. A Remington RH 36 doesn't look like a Pal RH 36 except for the fact that it is a 6" blade knife with a leather handle.

Many of the UK&R Pal Brand fixed blade knives were made in Germany or Czechoslavakia although some were made by Union Cut Co/KA-BAR.
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Thank you, Gunsil.
I did know about the German assembly. I’m going to assume that stopped in about 1939!
I only have one, rather battered, Remington. The scales are brown material that I assume is celluloid. I guess it’s part of the Pal history anyway. Here it is -
image.jpg
Gunsil wrote:A little Pal/Remington timeline. Pal and Pal Cutlery Co was first used as a brand by UK&R, (Utica Knife & Razor) in or around 1924. In 1934 Pal Blade Co was formed in Chicago, a different firm than UK&R. In 1939 Both Pal Blade and Pal Cutlery merged. In 1940 they bought Reminton's cutlery division. Remington/Pal transition knives are considered those with both Pal and Remington blades in them or knives put together by Pal from Remington parts, more often seen in fixed blades. I would not call any of the knives shown so far as "transition" knives. A Remington RH 36 doesn't look like a Pal RH 36 except for the fact that it is a 6" blade knife with a leather handle.

Many of the UK&R Pal Brand fixed blade knives were made in Germany or Czechoslavakia although some were made by Union Cut Co/KA-BAR.
image.jpg
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Gunsil wrote:A little Pal/Remington timeline. Pal and Pal Cutlery Co was first used as a brand by UK&R, (Utica Knife & Razor) in or around 1924. In 1934 Pal Blade Co was formed in Chicago, a different firm than UK&R. In 1939 Both Pal Blade and Pal Cutlery merged. In 1940 they bought Reminton's cutlery division. Remington/Pal transition knives are considered those with both Pal and Remington blades in them or knives put together by Pal from Remington parts, more often seen in fixed blades. I would not call any of the knives shown so far as "transition" knives. A Remington RH 36 doesn't look like a Pal RH 36 except for the fact that it is a 6" blade knife with a leather handle.
Here is a "transition" knife I bought a long time ago.Remington stamp looks very crude on the tang and the PAL fine Cutlery etch is on the master blade only. Also the model #(R7543)is etched into the pile side of the tang rather than stamped.
You also mention the Utica Knife & Razor Co. I have a deer foot folder that is stamped, "U.K.&R.Co. Montreal" on the tang. This was obviously made in either Germany or Austria(possibly Czechoslovakia).I wonder if they were affiliated.

Attachments
RemingtonPALR7543-1.JPG
RemingtonPALR7543-3.JPG
RemingtonPALR7543-4.JPG
RemingtonPALR7543-5.JPG
RemingtonPALR7543-6.JPG
U.K.&R.Co.MontrealDeerFootFolder1-2017.JPG
UK&RMontrealTangStamp.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Now that little pen knife is a fine example of a true PAL/Remington transition knife. Also they can be found with Remington and PAL tang stamped blades in the same knife.
oldpocketknives

I love that the pen knife has a Pal blate etch and a Remington tang stamp! Very nice knife Knife7Knut. Sorry, I should have included pictures of tang stamps...mine has the Pal stamp on main blade and Remington circle stamp on the spey blade. Happy 4th everyone!
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_6376.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_6375.jpg

Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Boy, I coulldn't see that on the first photos!! That is another great example!
bladecollectorr

Post by bladecollectorr »

I may have landed one of these transition knives today for a happily spent $15.00. I have a couple questions.

I'm pretty sure the knife is a Pal version Remington R6904 and it looks like "R"-something is what I'll see on the rear of the main blade when I get the knife. Link to good pics of a Remington R6904:
https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... fe-c-1930s

I've read everything I can find about PAL and have found no reference to the simple tang stamp on my knife.

1. Where does this tang stamp fit in? Does this imply a manufacture date?

2. Did Pal continue to use the same Remington model numbers on their Pal branded pocket knives (such as this one) after the buyout?

Any answers would be much appreciated.
01 mark.jpg
02 pile.jpg
03 pile closed.jpg
04 spring.jpg
05 top view.jpg
06 main tang.jpg
07 secondary tang.jpg
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
bladecollectorr

Post by bladecollectorr »

I just found this regarding my tang stamp. PAL USA in a circle was found on their smaller knives. Mine seems to have a little flag coming out of the top of an oval so it's not quite the same.
pal 1.jpg
I don't always respond to great posts but I always appreciate seeing them. Thanks for posting! ::tu::
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

I guess I missed posting this one. I bought it off a fellow in my club because I like the old bones. When I got home, I had a better look, after I cleaned up the tang a bit. Yeehaw, Pal! ::ds::
CC86F827-3A81-498D-8820-911E9B9CF974.jpeg
E31FC266-98D9-4711-984F-5153CF5C5DE5.jpeg

Return to “General Knife Discussion”