Victorinox

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Sut Tatersaul

Victorinox

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Hi, All:
I have been reviewing my small, 'Hodge Podge' collection of knives. I have a few Victorinox Swiss Army knives. Most of them are the "Classic SD' models. I shouldn't be collecting more knives, but, if and when I do, the small SD model seams to me to be a good choice. I'ts a relatively inexpensive knife to collect, and there are are so many types available.

I'd like to hear what you folks think about the Victorinox 'Classic S D knife. What Things about them, that makes one type more connectable than others, and if they have any bad design flaws.

Thanks in advance, for your expertise, that I hope that you will share with me.

Sut Tatersaul
It's Mind Over Matter, If You Don't Mind, It Don't Matter
eveled

Re: Victorinox

Post by eveled »

I started collecting them once then realized I didn’t need another collection. So they became stocking stuffers. There are an amazing number of variants to look for. From the sports ball, edelweiss, every color, on and on.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

A good solid, light duty pocket knife with plenty of functions and at a really cheap price tag. Counting versions made for promotional/co-branding use, I think thousands of versions have been produced.

And no design flaws at all. I just wish they'd figure out how to give us aluminum handles, yet retain the toothpick and tweezers. A version of the larger "Master Craftsman" made for the Dutch Air Force in the 1960s did.
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

AB371AE0-6157-4F0E-9308-904A8F0FC14C.jpeg
6624C837-CDED-42A0-A567-9AC30F0042CD.jpeg
I just bought this yesterday. I fell in love with the motto ‘The mountains are calling, and I must go’.
I paid $2.50Cdn for it and then found out it’s a 2016 special edition. Yay!
These little guys really are the handiest things!
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

zoogirl wrote:AB371AE0-6157-4F0E-9308-904A8F0FC14C.jpeg6624C837-CDED-42A0-A567-9AC30F0042CD.jpegI just bought this yesterday. I fell in love with the motto ‘The mountains are calling, and I must go’.
I paid $2.50Cdn for it and then found out it’s a 2016 special edition. Yay!
These little guys really are the handiest things!
Nice one Ann! The little ones are as nice as the larger models and just as addictive. I usually see full size models for as low as a dollar and if they are in good shape find it hard to pass them up.The special editions can be quite collectible too. I recently bought a set of six Wengerinox special edition knives for $50 and found out the set was worth close to $800 on the open market!
I have also amassed quite a few of the smaller models for 50 cents apiece that had various advertising on them.A couple were Chinese knockoffs but the majority of them were either Victorinox or Wenger. What started out as one or two has morphed into nearly a full drawer in my large cabinet of them. ::dang::
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

DSC06013.JPG
My 2 Classics with friends!!

Red.. Nice score on thatun.. ::tu:: Got my wife the same one for Christmas a few yrs ago and paid ALOT more than you!! ::facepalm:: She has it clipped on her sling pack..
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

This is what happens when you put two of them too close together:they multiply! :mrgreen:
Attachments
SwissArmyKnives&Such 001.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Sut, I believe the only difference between the “Classic” and the “Classic SD” is that one blade on the SD has a screwdriver tip. Hence the SD for screwdriver. Maybe you knew that already. ::shrug::

Nice well made little knives, very popular. Very handy for light duty everyday tasks encountered by today’s urban and suburban population. Available in just about every color you could want.

Not sure if this is helping you or not as I’m not sure exactly what you want to know, nor what else to tell you. ::facepalm:: I don’t “collect” them but I have several. I don’t carry them either, too small and lightweight for me. Seems like they just accumulate - people give them to me as Christmas stocking stuffers, etc. Nice little knife if that’s your thing.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

jmh58 wrote:DSC06013.JPG

Red.. Nice score on thatun.. ::tu:: Got my wife the same one for Christmas a few yrs ago and paid ALOT more than you!! ::facepalm:: She has it clipped on her sling pack..
Thanks!
I think it’s going into my camping purse. I was sort of considered hanging it off the strap on my hiking stick. The stick has ‘The road goes ever on’ cut into it. Yeah, I did. ::facepalm:: It would make a nice pair.
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Hi, All:
One type of SD, that caught my eye, is the 'Stayglow'. A couple of you folks show them in pictures posted in this thread. Has anyone tried polishing the scales made of that material? The Stayglow knives seem to be priced quite a bit a higher, than a SD with other type scales. If one can't polish a lower priced SD, with scuffed scales, it wouldn't make sense to me, to buy one, that I couldn't refurbish.
Sut Tatersaul
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Probably the last 20 or 25 years that I worked I toted a SAK every day.
20190618_200012.jpg
My meager pile.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Sut Tatersaul wrote:Hi, All:
One type of SD, that caught my eye, is the 'Stayglow'. A couple of you folks show them in pictures posted in this thread. Has anyone tried polishing the scales made of that material? The Stayglow knives seem to be priced quite a bit a higher, than a SD with other type scales. If one can't polish a lower priced SD, with scuffed scales, it wouldn't make sense to me, to buy one, that I couldn't refurbish.
Sut Tatersaul

They don't scratch as readily, since they are a nylon-type plastic; thus there's no need to ever polish them (plus, it's not supposed to be shiny). Unlike the current ones, they're solid, while most newer scales are hollowed out with reinforcing ribs.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

zoogirl wrote:
jmh58 wrote:DSC06013.JPG

Thanks!
I think it’s going into my camping purse. I was sort of considered hanging it off the strap on my hiking stick. The stick has ‘The road goes ever on’ cut into it. Yeah, I did. ::facepalm:: It would make a nice pair.
::nod:: ::tu::

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

zoogirl wrote: Thanks!
I think it’s going into my camping purse. I was sort of considered hanging it off the strap on my hiking stick. The stick has ‘The road goes ever on’ cut into it.
::tu:: Ann, you just need to add “and the party never ends”! :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Mumbleypeg wrote:
I think it’s going into my camping purse. I was sort of considered hanging it off the strap on my hiking stick. The stick has ‘The road goes ever on’ cut into it.

Ken
One of my favorite performers! Got several of his albums and a couple of VHS tapes of him on Austin City Limits. Between him and James McMurtrie and a ton of other Texas troubadours I could listen to nothing else.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

knife7knut wrote:
Mumbleypeg wrote:

Ken
One of my favorite performers! Got several of his albums and a couple of VHS tapes of him on Austin City Limits. Between him and James McMurtrie and a ton of other Texas troubadours I could listen to nothing else. I personally like Corpus Christi Bay and Merry Christmas(from the family)
AR Norby

Post by AR Norby »

While I have a couple dozen SAK's I only have two Classics that sit in a box unused. I find the blade, too narrow and too hard to put a decent edge on, the scissors are too small and the file is useless. The two I have were given to me and I did carry one with my keys for a year or so and rarely used it.
Perception is Reality
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here is the limited edition set I bought awhile back.The name of it is,"The Life" and the artwork is by a Swiss artist.
Attachments
WengerCollection#2184TheLife 2018 $50 1 005.jpg
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

I realize now, after observing my newly acquired SD, with Stayglow scales, that one wouldn't polish those satin finished scales. I assumed that these StayGlow scales, would rather brightly glow in the dark. The scales on mine glow very little. I've tried hanging them in direct sunlight, to possibly rejuvenate them. They still don't glow. Do these scales loose their ability to glow?
Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jody744 »

My first love, have carried a Vic almost daily for over 30 years, the huntsman is a favorite, typically carry a pioneer edc
"I like Case, Queen, S & M, Fightn' Rooster and many more."
(quote stolen from one of Jody Brown's posts)
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Received this Victorinox via email this morning from my daily SMKW mailing list.
First knife that ever made me hungry.
IMG_3078.JPG
IMG_3077.JPG
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Sut Tatersaul wrote:I realize now, after observing my newly acquired SD, with Stayglow scales, that one wouldn't polish those satin finished scales. I assumed that these StayGlow scales, would rather brightly glow in the dark. The scales on mine glow very little. I've tried hanging them in direct sunlight, to possibly rejuvenate them. They still don't glow. Do these scales loose their ability to glow?
Sut.. I have 3yr StayGlow SD on my key ring.. Glows BRIGHTLY every day its exposed to light..
Also have a StayGlow Feildmaster that is at least 10yrs old and when exposed to light, will glow BRIGHTLY..

Return to “General Knife Discussion”