Why do they call it “Winterbottom “

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Why do they call it “Winterbottom “

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Every time I see a Wintertbottom bone handled knife I wonder why they call it “winter bottom”? I know what winter is and I know what the bottom is or “a” bottom is, but I can’t figure out how they came up with that name. Anyone know?
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Why do they call it “winter bottom “

Post by Railsplitter »

I think it was some guy's last name.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

From msteele6 back in 2009

Winterbottom bone is bone manufactured by the Winterbottom Bone Company, it is always bone with long parallel grooves cut into it. I have never seen any where the grooves are not parallel to the handle. Generally there are only five or six of these grooves per handle.

A look at almost any old Queen knife will give you a perfect example of Winterbottom bone (not all are Winterbottom bone but most are). Even the imitation Winterbottom bone which is used on the later knives will give you a good example of what the real thing looks like.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

That would explain it. I know my bottom gets kinda wide in the winter, but it doesn’t look like that. Couldn’t figure out how they came up with that name. Thanks
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Here is an interesting and informative article about Winterbottom: https://www.traditionalpocketknives.com ... ne-history.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

treefarmer wrote:Here is an interesting and informative article about Winterbottom: https://www.traditionalpocketknives.com ... ne-history.
Treefarmer

Interesting article. Seems like I learn something new on here everyday.. Than you for posting that.
SSk
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

I recently bought an old Queen 2-blade folding hunter, and the WB handle was a uniform yellow/ivory color. Was it brown on ivory when new, and the brown just wore away?
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

treefarmer wrote:Here is an interesting and informative article about Winterbottom: https://www.traditionalpocketknives.com ... ne-history.
Treefarmer
Excellent ::tu:: ::tu::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I've noticed that the winterbottom bone on old Case knives mostly seems to come with the lines in a crossing pattern. I wonder if that came from the same company? ::shrug::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

tallguy606 wrote:I recently bought an old Queen 2-blade folding hunter, and the WB handle was a uniform yellow/ivory color. Was it brown on ivory when new, and the brown just wore away?
Here is one I have tallguy, It's hard to say what a knife has gone through by previous owners and all bone is different.
I'm sure you know this. I'm just trying to contribute. :D
I had a picture of Mr. Winterbottom and his employees in front of a boxcar with the floor heaped with bone. I guess I deleted it.
Treefarmer
Good one Philip.
Attachments
DSCN8291.JPG
Joe
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

FRJ wrote:
tallguy606 wrote:I recently bought an old Queen 2-blade folding hunter, and the WB handle was a uniform yellow/ivory color. Was it brown on ivory when new, and the brown just wore away?
Here is one I have tallguy, It's hard to say what a knife has gone through by previous owners and all bone is different.
I'm sure you know this. I'm just trying to contribute. :D
I had a picture of Mr. Winterbottom and his employees in front of a boxcar with the floor heaped with bone. I guess I deleted it.
Treefarmer
Good one Philip.
That might be the nicest Winterbottom bone handles ever. Very nice.
I also learned that Winterbottom is one word and not two. Auto correct doesn’t like that as one word, unless it’s capitalized.
SSk
FRJ

Re: Why do they call it “Winterbottom “

Post by FRJ »

Thank you. ::tu::
Joe
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Here's an old Case and Son's knife. The lines intersect on it.
Attachments
20190601_203005.jpg
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

That's very creative jigging, Greg. Have you ever seen jigging like that before?
Joe
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

In response to tallguy606's comment on the color of a Winterbottom handles color, here is a picture (my avatar) of identical Queen Pattern #49s, both have the '58-'60 stamp, one of course is almost mint and the other well used. I suppose "pocket time" polishes out the dark lines down in the grooves. I don't know if the real Winterbottom bone was dyed or scorched to create the dark lines. Maybe somebody can help with that information.
001.JPG
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Joe, that Copperhead(?) is sweet! I think that's the best example of Winterbottom bone I've ever seen. Very nice.

As for coloration, check out these two Queen 51's.
P7190003.JPG
Admittedly, I don't have a lot of experience with Winterbottom bone; so, half the time I can't tell the difference between genuine WB bone and imitation WB Delrin. (Both of my 51s look like Delrin to me.)

What year did Queen begin using Delrin instead of bone for WB handles? Did they use both bone and Delrin concurrently?

~Q~
~Q~
wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

We all know Queen used WB but so did Schrade for a very short run....Here's the factory, and a 1930s Gearge Schrade automatic.
Attachments
winterbottom-pic6.png
PRESTO%20WINTERBOTTOM%20BONE%20001.JPG
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

QTCut5 wrote:Joe, that Copperhead(?) is sweet! I think that's the best example of Winterbottom bone I've ever seen. Very nice.

As for coloration, check out these two Queen 51's.

P7190003.JPG

Admittedly, I don't have a lot of experience with Winterbottom bone; so, half the time I can't tell the difference between genuine WB bone and imitation WB Delrin. (Both of my 51s look like Delrin to me.)

What year did Queen begin using Delrin instead of bone for WB handles? Did they use both bone and Delrin concurrently?

~Q~
Q, check out that article posted on the first page of this thread. It says they transitioned over to Delrin by the late 60’s. It reads like they were having handles made in both for over 10 years, and started using Delrin in the 50’s.
That’s very helpful article, I’m going to bookmark that one.
SSk
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

These pictures show Case's use of Winterbottom. The gold Winterbottom 6165 is a Tested XX era knife (~1920 - ~1940). The three equal end patterns are all W.R. Case & Sons (~1905 - ~1914).
Attachments
Case Tested XX 6165 Winterbottom #2a small.jpg
WR Case & Sons 06245 Winterbottom #2a.jpg
WR Case & Sons 6345 P Red Winterbottom #2b.jpg
WR Case & Sons Red Winterbottom 6394 #2.jpg
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Some more ladies.
20190602_103615.jpg
bottom one is faux bone or plastic if you prefer. ::super_happy:: ::handshake::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Case has a new fence row jigging that looks like a new take on Winterbottom. I kind of like these. Haven’t seen many olive green bone knives I didn’t like.
SSk
Attachments
16026.jpg
16026.jpg (10.81 KiB) Viewed 2685 times
16025.jpg
16025.jpg (9.57 KiB) Viewed 2685 times
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

I've been watching and looking at all the fine samples you folks have been putting on display. Can't say that Winterbottom really does anything for me.

But that's me. More for you guys!! Ain't gonna stop me from lookin'. Maybe it'll grow on me. :)
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

The last time I ordered from Culpepper, I got this pair of Winterbottom slabs. I agree that they are not for everyone or every knife, but they have their moments. Now to find a good candidate for these.
IMG_2938.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

The closest thing I have is this little Whitetail. I don’t know what the scales actually are. They are unusually thick anyway.
92B926A8-05BF-48F3-B1B0-75026FBDC271.jpeg
7F7633AC-EA79-4474-873E-C0209488D259.jpeg
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

FRJ wrote:That's very creative jigging, Greg. Have you ever seen jigging like that before?
Yes Joe, I have. If you will look Jerry's(RalphAlsip) post you will see that his Case and Son's knives have similar jigging. ::nod::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”