Why do they call it “Winterbottom “

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Why do they call it “Winterbottom “

Post by QTCut5 »

Joe, that Copperhead(?) is sweet! I think that's the best example of Winterbottom bone I've ever seen. Very nice.

As for coloration, check out these two Queen 51's.
P7190003.JPG
Admittedly, I don't have a lot of experience with Winterbottom bone; so, half the time I can't tell the difference between genuine WB bone and imitation WB Delrin. (Both of my 51s look like Delrin to me.)

What year did Queen begin using Delrin instead of bone for WB handles? Did they use both bone and Delrin concurrently?

~Q~
~Q~
wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

We all know Queen used WB but so did Schrade for a very short run....Here's the factory, and a 1930s Gearge Schrade automatic.
Attachments
winterbottom-pic6.png
PRESTO%20WINTERBOTTOM%20BONE%20001.JPG
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

QTCut5 wrote:Joe, that Copperhead(?) is sweet! I think that's the best example of Winterbottom bone I've ever seen. Very nice.

As for coloration, check out these two Queen 51's.

P7190003.JPG

Admittedly, I don't have a lot of experience with Winterbottom bone; so, half the time I can't tell the difference between genuine WB bone and imitation WB Delrin. (Both of my 51s look like Delrin to me.)

What year did Queen begin using Delrin instead of bone for WB handles? Did they use both bone and Delrin concurrently?

~Q~
Q, check out that article posted on the first page of this thread. It says they transitioned over to Delrin by the late 60’s. It reads like they were having handles made in both for over 10 years, and started using Delrin in the 50’s.
That’s very helpful article, I’m going to bookmark that one.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

These pictures show Case's use of Winterbottom. The gold Winterbottom 6165 is a Tested XX era knife (~1920 - ~1940). The three equal end patterns are all W.R. Case & Sons (~1905 - ~1914).
Attachments
Case Tested XX 6165 Winterbottom #2a small.jpg
WR Case & Sons 06245 Winterbottom #2a.jpg
WR Case & Sons 6345 P Red Winterbottom #2b.jpg
WR Case & Sons Red Winterbottom 6394 #2.jpg
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Some more ladies.
20190602_103615.jpg
bottom one is faux bone or plastic if you prefer. ::super_happy:: ::handshake::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Case has a new fence row jigging that looks like a new take on Winterbottom. I kind of like these. Haven’t seen many olive green bone knives I didn’t like.
SSk
Attachments
16026.jpg
16026.jpg (10.81 KiB) Viewed 2686 times
16025.jpg
16025.jpg (9.57 KiB) Viewed 2686 times
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

I've been watching and looking at all the fine samples you folks have been putting on display. Can't say that Winterbottom really does anything for me.

But that's me. More for you guys!! Ain't gonna stop me from lookin'. Maybe it'll grow on me. :)
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

The last time I ordered from Culpepper, I got this pair of Winterbottom slabs. I agree that they are not for everyone or every knife, but they have their moments. Now to find a good candidate for these.
IMG_2938.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

The closest thing I have is this little Whitetail. I don’t know what the scales actually are. They are unusually thick anyway.
92B926A8-05BF-48F3-B1B0-75026FBDC271.jpeg
7F7633AC-EA79-4474-873E-C0209488D259.jpeg
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

FRJ wrote:That's very creative jigging, Greg. Have you ever seen jigging like that before?
Yes Joe, I have. If you will look Jerry's(RalphAlsip) post you will see that his Case and Son's knives have similar jigging. ::nod::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

::tu:: ... Thanks Greg.
Joe
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

RalphAlsip wrote:These pictures show Case's use of Winterbottom. The gold Winterbottom 6165 is a Tested XX era knife (~1920 - ~1940). The three equal end patterns are all W.R. Case & Sons (~1905 - ~1914).

Those are some of the best looking Winterbottom bones I have seen. Especially that last one.
SSk
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

gsmith7158 wrote:Here's an old Case and Son's knife. The lines intersect on it.
That jigging reminds me of the style of early 50's Japanese knives. Never saw anything like that on a USA made knife! ::shrug::
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Finally managed to snag a Queen #51 with genuine Winterbottom Bone...not Delrin like my other 51s...and I must say, the difference is more than obvious. I much prefer the Bone.
P6200008_1.JPG
This GEC #99 Wall Street has what they call "Burnt Orange Springfield Bone" handle scales. Not sure what "Springfield" means exactly, but it has a somewhat Winterbottom-like appearance, IMO.
P6200017.JPG
~Q~
~Q~
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

QTCut5 wrote:Finally managed to snag a Queen #51 with genuine Winterbottom Bone...not Delrin like my other 51s...and I must say, the difference is more than obvious. I much prefer the Bone.

P6200008_1.JPG

This GEC #99 Wall Street has what they call "Burnt Orange Springfield Bone" handle scales. Not sure what "Springfield" means exactly, but it has a somewhat Winterbottom-like appearance, IMO.

P6200017.JPG

~Q~

That Queen is really fine. I thought that same thing about the Wallstreet as well.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I picked up this Queen #51T off eBay with what I believed was an unusual color of Winterbottom Bone; however, after I got it in hand and compared it to my other Winterbottom handled #51s, I now think it's actually Winterbottom Delrin that's been dyed brown. Can't say as I've ever seen this color of Winterbottom handle before.
P3050018.JPG

For comparison: Here it is between a "typical" WB Delrin #51 and a genuine WB Bone Dan Burke #51
P3050036.JPG
~Q~
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

That’s a new one for me too Q. I like it, not as well as the bone but it’s nice to see it done like that in brown.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

That is an interesting color, Q.
Could it be brown delrin? When I enlarged the 1st picture and noticed the handle material around the center pin doesn't seem to show any light colored material below the pin.
The color reminds me of the brown delrin handles on some of the Case knives.
Your 2nd picture very well shows the identical molded imitation Winterbottom jigging pattern on the regular Queen 51's.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

I got a workhorse series that's dark chocolate.
Attachments
20210307_105413.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:12 am It reads like they were having handles made in both for over 10 years, and started using Delrin in the 50’s.

SSk
Not likely since the factory where they made/make Delrin wasn't finished until 1960.

Note the name of the factory. I wonder if that is where the Winterbottom name came from since the name at the top of the sign (as always click to enlarge) is "Winterbottom.Carter & Co". "Winterbottom is a surname originating in the U.K. (Winterbottom arose in the south-east corner of Lancashire, on the Cheshire and Yorkshire borders.) so that kinda makes sense to me.
Attachments
winterbottom-pic6.png
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Forgot all about this thread...but, I think this 1958-60 Queen #51 belongs here since it has a genuine Winterbottom Bone handle. ::nod::
P5220001.JPG
P5220002.JPG
~Q~
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

That’s the nicest old Winterbottom Queen I have seen. Very nice Q, what a great addition to the collection.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:35 am That’s the nicest old Winterbottom Queen I have seen. Very nice Q, what a great addition to the collection.
Thank you, Mark. I'm discovering that all Winterbottom is not created equal; the faux WB Delrin is often quite dull or 'flat' and generally lacks the charm, magnetism and unique 'personality' that is more characteristic of genuine WB Bone. (IMO, YMMV).

Here's another Queen with a genuine Winterbottom Bone handle (the only one in my collection that is NOT a 51 Mini Trapper pattern!)

1983 Queen 6155 "Old Pattern LockBack"
PB060100.JPG
PB060101.JPG
~Q~
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

QTCut5 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 4:49 pm
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:35 am That’s the nicest old Winterbottom Queen I have seen. Very nice Q, what a great addition to the collection.
Thank you, Mark. I'm discovering that all Winterbottom is not created equal; the faux WB Delrin is often quite dull or 'flat' and generally lacks the charm, magnetism and unique 'personality' that is more characteristic of genuine WB Bone. (IMO, YMMV).

Here's another Queen with a genuine Winterbottom Bone handle (the only one in my collection that is NOT a 51 Mini Trapper pattern!)

PB060100.JPGPB060101.JPG
Q, you've been showing some really nice winterbottom.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

QTCut5 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 4:49 pm

PB060100.JPGPB060101.JPG
Q, You really have an eye for nice WB knives. I always envy collectors that can focus on something in particular, seems like my attention is like a butterfly sampling cup after cup.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”