Need help identifying

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
jashearer3

Need help identifying

Post by jashearer3 »

Hello wondering if anyone could help ID this pocket knife I found in the woods. It was about 7 inches deep in the soil along a trail. Thoughts on type and year? Thanks !
Attachments
C4DBD229-0A2D-40A5-9987-43619CBA1779.jpeg
Gunsil

Re: Need help identifying

Post by Gunsil »

Ahh, another metal detecting knife. As with most a positive ID will never be made. It is called a barehead (because it has no lower bolster) swell end Jack knife. Swell end because the back end is wider than the front end with the bolster on it. Jacks are knives with usually one or two blades that fold out from the same end of the knife. It looks like you put some shiny preservative on it? Hard to tell what the handle material is. The shield is called a "bomb" shield and those were used by many companies and cannot be used for ID unless the maker's name is on it. Looks like steel bolsters so it was a cheaper or working man's knife. Could have been made anywhere from the early 1900s to the later 1900s, we will never know. I have been detecting for over forty years and have found many of these old relics. Since 99.9% are undatable and have no value to anybody else I have tossed all the ones I have found in the trash along with all the other broken rusty things we dig up.
kootenay joe

Re: Need help identifying

Post by kootenay joe »

I buried a Schrade old timer small jack knife in the garden and left it there for 12 months. When i dug it up it looked like an old relic. The Delrin handles were still intact but the blades and liners had deep corrosion. Had i not buried it i would have guessed it had been in the ground for at least 10 years.
kj

Return to “General Knife Discussion”