Favorite knife you bought in 2018

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
wazu013

Re: Favorite knife you bought in 2018

Post by wazu013 »

This OTF has been surprisingly durable and fun to carry.
DSCN1525.JPG
DSCN1526.JPG
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Some pretty great acquisitions being shown by everyone for this year congratulations all.

My favorite for the year is not one knife but a set of Ulster salesman sample Barlows,
Attachments
IMG_9169.jpg
IMG_9171.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

jlw257 wrote:It’s looks like 2018 was a great year for Knife collecting, some real nice knives have been shown here ::tu:: ::tu::

Here my favorite one for 2018 I got from Tom ( Olderdogs1 )
Case Tested XX Rogers Bone 6380 Whittler
JLW, you got a beauty there. Lots of pretty knives but that one steals my heart. Good choice. ::tu::
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

JohnR wrote:Some pretty great acquisitions being shown by everyone for this year congratulations all.

My favorite for the year is not one knife but a set of Ulster salesman sample Barlows,
Fantastic all around!
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
Pile Driver

Post by Pile Driver »

John those Ulster barlows are superb
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

40F26429-5495-4424-A3B1-14D72E681236.jpeg
3DFC4E40-7021-4C3D-99FB-63D9819E3BA8.jpeg
41571B76-85BC-4A54-A842-3D3D8B1AC918.jpeg
These would be my favorites and I believe they are all from this year, although I may be pushing it on the Stock. I honestly can’t remember if I got it this year or earlier.

These guys, and a two blade wood and brass Chinese Special are my EDC crew. The Premium Stock hangs out in my backpack. It’s actually made in Italy and I have no idea of its age but I think maybe as old as ‘40’s. The Buck is 2004. I picked it and the spider up from $5 Knife Guy. The Buck is my pocket carry and the spider, which has no other marks, belongs in my purse with the Coast. I didn’t mean for the spider to be an EDC but I just love the look of it and can’t quite get around to putting it away!

Oh, almost forgot! My favourite fixed blade!
image.jpg
This is my Pal Brand, which I think is pre 1935, as it’s “Pal Brand” not “Pal Blade”. That’s a wooden handle. I really love this knife, my first fixed since I lost my childhood one. I got it this spring at the Abbotsford Swapmeet.

I notice I’m far from the only poster that can’t pick just one!
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

JohnR wrote:Some pretty great acquisitions being shown by everyone for this year congratulations all.

John, fabulous collection of Ulster Barlows ::tu:: ::tu:: !!
Lloyd
Wally Taylor

Post by Wally Taylor »

Hands down, the knife that Tim Withers of Stockton, Ca made for me. It's one of his versions of the Loveless Chute Knife with Interior Mammoth Ivory scales.Tim has mad skills as a knifemaker. His soldering work on this piece is so well done it looks as if it's one piece of steel. It's made of ATS-34 steel. His polishing is top knotch too.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Wally Taylor wrote:Hands down, th knife that Tim Withers of Stockton, Ca made for me. It's one of his versions of the Loveless Chute Knife with Interior Mammoth Ivory scales.image.jpegimage.jpeg
Wally, Man that is one sweet knife. Oh, how I wish I had one. That’s one of the nicest looking knives I have ever seen.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

For me, it would have to be this five inch, easy-open, swell-end jack by Terrier Cutlery with a large hawkbill master and sheepsfoot secondary.

Made by Robeson 1910 - 1916.

That's a standard 3 5/8" EO alongside for size comparison.

Although factory drilled for a bail, I do not think that one is original.

Robeson made this pattern with a large spear blade master. I've never seen a Robeson like this one and as to Terrier, this is the only one I've ever seen and I've never heard of another.

Charlie
Attachments
Terrier EZ Opener 1.jpg
Terrier EZ Opener 2.jpg
Terrier EZ Opener 3.jpg
Terrier EZ Opener 4.jpg
Terrier EZ Opener 5.jpg
Terrier EZ Opener 6.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

I've had quite a prolific year in the Case buying department ... but this one stands out as my BEST of 2018. It is a 1980 #47 - nothing special ... what makes it so great is the transformation. It didn't look like much in the ad, thus I got it for a song - seller wasn't a knife person and had no detail in the ad. After some elbow grease, a thorough cleaning up and full Lansky treatment, it turned into a fabulous knife - tight as a drum and snap on all blades is fiercely hard. This is my best of 2018 ... a true diamond in the rough - proudly sits in my all time top 3:

BEFORE ---->
spkpsuD.jpg
AFTER ---->
R0cafmt.jpg
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
Wally Taylor

Post by Wally Taylor »

Thanks sharpnshiny! I am humbled at Your enthusiasm for my Chute. I have a friend who is a pretty famous engraver. His name is Ron Skaggs, and I'm thinking about having him do some work on it. I really like the beauty of its simple lines, but if he work on it, the value will go up. The sheath has a pocket with a bar of Ivory, and the pocket has an oval cut out, so Ron is going to scrim a color Woolly Mammoth's head and tusks on the sheath. To show You Ron's skill level, here is a life-sized Eagle' head carved out of a section of Mastodon Ivory that I bought from Ron earlier this year. He is just an incredible artist, so I will probably have him do some work on the knife.
image.jpeg
Kingston73

Post by Kingston73 »

My most carried knife I bought this year has been my m4 pm2. My favorite that I just started carrying lately is my old ww2 era Kingston.
209F58C3-CC34-4AE8-B287-F9E7325C64A0.jpeg
6A92F5B7-55E4-4645-91EE-C06F806D1486.jpeg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Wally Taylor wrote:Thanks sharpnshiny! I am humbled at Your enthusiasm for my Chute. I have a friend who is a pretty famous engraver. His name is Ron Skaggs, and I'm thinking about having him do some work on it. I really like the beauty of its simple lines, but if he work on it, the value will go up. The sheath has a pocket with a bar of Ivory, and the pocket has an oval cut out, so Ron is going to scrim a color Woolly Mammoth's head and tusks on the sheath. To show You Ron's skill level, here is a life-sized Eagle' head carved out of a section of Mastodon Ivory that I bought from Ron earlier this year. He is just an incredible artist, so I will probably have him do some work on the knife.image.jpeg
Wally, I have heard of Ron Skaggs. I don’t have any of his work but I know he is impressive. That eagle’s head is amazing. You have some pretty incredible items in your collections. I have admired that Loveless knife design for many years.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Wally Taylor wrote:Hands down, the knife that Tim Withers of Stockton, Ca made for me. It's one of his versions of the Loveless Chute Knife with Interior Mammoth Ivory scales.Tim has mad skills as a knifemaker. His soldering work on this piece is so well done it looks as if it's one piece of steel. It's made of ATS-34 steel. His polishing is top knotch too. image.jpegimage.jpeg

Here are two Loveless design knives that I have. Master Seizo Imai made this before his death in 2014. I would have chosen these as my favorite but I didnt’ buy them this year.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_4340.jpeg
IMG_4345.jpeg
Wally Taylor

Post by Wally Taylor »

Wally, I have heard of Ron Skaggs. I don’t have any of his work but I know he is impressive. That eagle’s head is amazing. You have some pretty incredible items in your collections. I have admired that Loveless knife design for many years.
SSk[/quote

Ron is doing some pretty famous knives now. Here is just one of them:
image.jpeg
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

That's a beauty!
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Drop point buck.JPG
Buck 110. Bos 5160 drop point blade. Oak scales.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

After scrolling back through my eBay purchases for the year, I finally settled on these two. The first a full size #54 Case Trapper, the second a #07 Case Mini-Trapper. I think you will agree, they have to be admired as a pair.
Attachments
CASE 2017 Trapper 6254 Star Spangled Banner Natural Bone - Mark Open Labeled.JPG
Case 2017 Mini Trapper 6207 SS Star Spangled Banner Natural Bone - Labeled.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Lots of great knives purchased in 2018. I didn't buy many knives this year. This is up there at the top of the knives I did buy. A Keen Kutter 2245 that Roland (Kootenay Joe) was kind enough to part with.
Attachments
RIMG1506.JPG
RIMG1507.JPG
Dan
Lakelife

Post by Lakelife »

It will be a rare knife of 2018 for me and one of the first I bought since inheriting my dads collection . We have Chicago cutlery kitchen knives so I know they make good quality stuff so far as I know made in USA. I found a folding 4 inch fillet knife at a yard sale . Markings LH4 USA on blade . Wooden handles it called The Traveler . Very good shape and very cheap because he said he had bass pro sharpen in and he lost the sheath .
Attachments
20181216_115452.jpg
20181216_115658.jpg
20181216_115446.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Traveler: made by Camillus.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Dan, i had forgotten about that swell center jack. It is a beauty for sure. I am honored that you named it your 'knife of the year'.
kj
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I have to add another favorite to this fine thread.

I posted an old knife earlier but I also bought a modern knife that I can't leave out.

Thanks for looking.
Attachments
DSCN2190.JPG
DSCN2193.JPG
DSCN2195.JPG
DSCN2200.JPG
DSCN2203.JPG
DSCN2205.JPG
DSCN2209.JPG
DSCN2214.JPG
DSCN2226.JPG
Joe
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Kind of like a butterfly knife and a penny knife had a baby! I think I like it! Where does one find such a beauty?
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”

Return to “General Knife Discussion”