New China Knives ???????

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
DARRELL MAINES

New China Knives ???????

Post by DARRELL MAINES »

it seems we are being flooded by listings of new junk china knives that can be bought at any flea market for $5.00. They have high prices on them trying to prey on someone. It disgusts me to see them at a flea market where you can’t find good antique knives anymore. I do enjoy this website where we can talk and buy good knives. Please do not waste our time having to scroll through junk to get a descent knife. There is a place for those knives to be sold but it is certainly not here. Guys chime in let me know if I am wrong. Thanks Darrell
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: New China Knives ???????

Post by glennbad »

Hi Darrell,

I'm not sure if you are referring to forum threads or the sellers' stores on this site. While I am strongly opposed to the influx of knives from companies like Rough Rider, Steel Warrior, etc., I do realize they aren't going anywhere anytime soon. They are not horrible knives for the price, but they certainly aren't my cup of tea either. Some people like them though, and I guess that is their business.

The most important thing we can do if anyone is against these knives, is to not buy them. Also, freely and frequently support other cutlery companies for the U.S., Germany, etc.

Glenn
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Some folks like 'em. For some, it's what they can afford. Either way, and this goes for all steel that has a cutting edge, to each his own.
My thoughts on selling here on AAPK, sell what you want, just be accurate in the description and fair on the price. If someone wants it, they'll buy it.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

It would be discriminatory to dictate what type of knives are sold here and for what price they are sold for. I don't think we want that.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

There is a wide range of knives made in China. Some at the lowest end are not good knives. Then there are very inexpensive knives that are good, they take & hold an edge and are built to be used. Rough Rider and SanRenMu are 2 excellent examples. And then prices rise all the way to $1000 for the most 'advanced' tactical folder made, period.
My point is that one cannot lump all Chinese knives into one group and discuss them as all being more or less the same.
kj
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

If the OP is talking about the Frost Cutlery knives from the AAPK store "E&R Sporting Goods", I'm thinking most of those are Pakistani, not Chinese. And, to be fair, they posted a total of 15 Frost Cutlery knives, so not much scrolling is required. IMHO, E&R Sporting Goods has the right to sell any knives they want, and they also have the right to list them at any price they want. In turn, you have the right to buy them or ignore them. That's how capitalism works.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I'm sorry. The older I get the more stoopid I get. I just don't get the point the OP is trying to make.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Darrell, while I don't claim to "know how you feel", I do try to look at both sides of the discussion. I don't really care to sift through all that kind of stuff either, however, let's not forget that another store here brings added revenue that enables this site to continue.

The ability for AAPK to remain in operation depends solely on one thing: M-O-N-E-Y. Without it, this site doesn't exist. I would rather have this site operational than not at all.

Just my 2 cents.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

kootenay joe wrote:There is a wide range of knives made in China. Some at the lowest end are not good knives. Then there are very inexpensive knives that are good, they take & hold an edge and are built to be used. Rough Rider and SanRenMu are 2 excellent examples. And then prices rise all the way to $1000 for the most 'advanced' tactical folder made, period.
My point is that one cannot lump all Chinese knives into one group and discuss them as all being more or less the same.
kj

I agree w/ Roland, Not all Chinese knives are made the same. I deplore the 5 dollar junk knives that are sold on TV where you get 100 knives for 100 dollars. Those arent’ collectibles. I agree w/ you if you are saying that we shouldn’t waste time talking about, posting or debating those types of knives. But if there are people on here who really like these and want to collect them, then that’s up to them. I don’t agree w/ silencing others I disagree with. I simply don’t look at the posts on those types of knives. But honestly how would I know that a Rike knife from China is worth 300 dollars if I didn’t read about it here? Don’t assume that all knives made in China are bad, cause they aren’t. Just like all knives made here in USA are good or better, cause they aren’t. AAPK is the place to learn about those differences. I learn something new every day on here, literally. And my opinion on certain knives have changed. Interestingly where my opinion has changed the most is on Chinese knives. That change was for the better.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I'll add that one of the things I have always liked about this forum is that any member can post about any knife without being belittled or told to go away. I see no reason why sellers shouldn't be extended the same courtesy.

I don't like beets but I'm not going to tell my local Farmer's Market to take them off the shelves.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
TwoFlowersLuggage

Beets ARE nasty. Whoever decided that beets should be put on a salad should be forced to use only Pakastani knives in their kitchen...
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:Beets ARE nasty. Whoever decided that beets should be put on a salad should be forced to use only Pakastani knives in their kitchen...
Now yer messin' :lol:
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:Beets ARE nasty. Whoever decided that beets should be put on a salad should be forced to use only Pakastani knives in their kitchen...

AMEN, preach it brother!
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

I wonder if Pakistani knives will evolve like Chinese knives have in terms of steel quality, fit and finish and if so, who will fill the void. ::hmm::
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

DARRELL MAINES wrote:it seems we are being flooded by listings of new junk china knives that can be bought at any flea market for $5.00. They have high prices on them trying to prey on someone. It disgusts me to see them at a flea market where you can’t find good antique knives anymore. I do enjoy this website where we can talk and buy good knives. Please do not waste our time having to scroll through junk to get a descent knife. There is a place for those knives to be sold but it is certainly not here. Guys chime in let me know if I am wrong. Thanks Darrell
I do not understand Darrell's point. I have made plenty of posts about China knives, but I mostly keep them in the Chinese Factory Manufactured Knives forum. Maybe if someone wandered into that section of AAPK without realizing it then they might feel like Darrell. Just looked at the Knives for Sale or Trade forum: I do not see any Chinese knives there.
Mel
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Yes, I have seen an influx of individuals selling stuff in the store that have never posted here to my knowledge. And I understand the knives you're talking about. I feel the prices of those knives from that particular seller are a bit inflated to say the least. That being said, I've found a LOT of knives here I normally would not be able to afford, for half price or less what they would be on the big auction site.

Nothing really wrong with Chinese knives,(esp. Rough Rider and Boker Plus) but I prefer a secondhand, well-used American made knife as a "user" to any Chinese knife any day. Equally inexpensive, but far better. Currently, as my main EDC knife, I've got a Boker USA penknife in decent shape that holds a wicked edge. It cost me a dollar, on eBay. Don't know why no one wanted it.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

jerryd6818 wrote:I'm sorry. The older I get the more stoopid I get. I just don't get the point the OP is trying to make.
::shrug::
gino

Post by gino »

This topic has come a long way in the last several years as I think back to the 5 years I spent as a moderator here some of the most heated and controversial threads and posts involved Chinese made knives in which almost all had to have some type of moderation due to language or plain nastiness between members
Good to see a decent discussion
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

The comment I’m about to write is pure speculation about the intent of the original post. My speculation is that Darrell was referring to the AAPK store in regard to items such as https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... asy-folder. See picture below.

Although I don’t have an interest in a knife like this, I’m grateful for the AAPK store as both a buyer and very small time seller. Part of my daily AAPK routine is to use the “New Products” feature available in the store to see the new listings posted in the store so I usually see things that don’t interest me only once. Don’t ask me how many times I see the items that do interest me (lol). :D
Attachments
F1F94B7A-5305-4601-811E-1DCC945AC977.jpeg
DARRELL MAINES

Post by DARRELL MAINES »

Thanks for all the input. I in no way intended to offend anyone. Some understand my views others don’t. Guess that’s why we call it a democracy. I in no way wanted to discriminate against anyone or run down anyone’s store. I guess I misunderstood what we actually wanted to achieve in our club. Happy hunting to all. At least you all had something to talk about today. I will try to keep my thoughts to myself from now on. It is just not worth getting upset over Darrell
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

DARRELL MAINES wrote:Thanks for all the input. I in no way intended to offend anyone. Some understand my views others don’t. Guess that’s why we call it a democracy. I in no way wanted to discriminate against anyone or run down anyone’s store. I guess I misunderstood what we actually wanted to achieve in our club. Happy hunting to all. At least you all had something to talk about today. I will try to keep my thoughts to myself from now on. It is just not worth getting upset over Darrell
I certainly see no reason for you to keep your thoughts to yourself: I do not think anyone was offended by anything you said. Puzzled, maybe. I hardly ever look at the stores, so I had no clue what you were talking about.
Mel
TwoFlowersLuggage

Of course you should speak your opinion. I will defend to the end your (or anyone's) right to do so. However, that doesn't mean I have to agree with your opinion, and I will also fight to the end for my right to disagree with you (or anyone). The only thing the people in this "club" agree on is that we like pocket knives. Everything else is up for grabs. :D
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Oh, don't be silly. No one is offended. Confused maybe but certainly not offended.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jody744 »

I have numerous knives from USA, some from England, Germany , Japan , Italy , Switzerland , etc. Not to cause trouble but I have a knife from AG Russell that was made in China that I like a lot. In fact I traded a western lockback to a member here for it a few years back. To each their own, I buy what I like. And for newbies and youngsters I figure price comes into play for them. When I was young I bought many Parker and Frost knives in addition to my Victorinox knives, because the quality for me then matched the cost for me. And I still have them all and enjoy them. I would like to add that I am not offended by the OP either, this is just me expressing my opinion ( as if it matters :lol: )
"I like Case, Queen, S & M, Fightn' Rooster and many more."
(quote stolen from one of Jody Brown's posts)
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

Its been a good read this thread. I cannot see any market for knives like the ones listed above here amongst this community of knife afficionados, collectors, users and hoarders. I wouldn't accept them if offered free of charge, with or without a puppy. As far as knives from China go whatever a buyer wants to spend there are knives. Roland mentioned the Lake knives, AG Russell has a large pertof his wares manufactured there and then the new tactical makers with high end offerings. Down to the junk peddled by Wild Bill and the like. All comes down to $$$.

Taiwan has more mainstream high end knives. The factory Soyderco uses is downright silly in the precision of their offerings. I had a link several devices ago to that factory they also made the titanium handles for the Buck Mayo TNTs and Waimea knives.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”