Where did everyone go?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Tsar Bomba

Re: Where did everyone go?

Post by Tsar Bomba »

This is turning into quite the epic thread. First of all, ::welcome:: to those of you who might not have posted before, and thanks for participating! It is appreciated. There are no bad opinions and there are no stupid questions, so keep it coming!

To address the overriding question of the thread, I think we're just seeing a natural ebb and flow so many forums and other social sites go through from time to time. While some of the forums with lesser traffic might seem quiet, I think GKD and the other general forums are plenty active and give me a daily dose of knife knuttery to satisfy my need for it. Whatever Bryan and the AAPK mods, friends and regulars are doing is working just fine by my eye.
jerryd6818 wrote:I learned to pronounce Camillus from a page in the 1946 catalog.
Back when it came in the mail? ::poke:: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
bestgear wrote:The hardware guy beat the software guy to the punch.....God help us ::facepalm::
And all is right in the world. 8)
TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:Jerry - if it makes you feel any better, that is also how I pronounced Camillus. I was showing off a recent Camillus purchase to one of my co-workers, and I said CAM-ill-us - he looked at me funny, then said: "do you mean cah-MILL-us?" I said: "uh, I don't know, maybe - I guess so?" He started laughing and replied that he grew-up just down the road from cah-MILL-us... I'll never mispronounce it again!
Am I the only one who never had a problem with "Camillus" (since I had visited the city in NY as a kid) but STILL can't get "Cattaraugus" right? ::shrug::
jerryd6818 wrote:There's space set aside on AAPK for "Modern Knives". If there were a contingency of AAPK members who's interests lay in that quarter, you would see more activity in that forum. But I suspect that since there is not an active interest by the membership and there is no hard fast Nazi rule against posting modern knives in forums other than the one set up for that purpose, the subject is low traction and traffic in that arena is diluted among other forums. Your opinion please.
The focus is definitely on traditionals in the general forums, but I do appreciate the lax attitude towards people posting photos and threads about moderns, multi-tools, etc.

Knives are knives, and while we might prefer one style or one pattern to another, I think a little variety is the spice of life. While I personally focus on mostly traditionals when I post here -- indeed, most of the time I post in the "EDC" thread I'm only showing off the trads in my pockets and not the ubiquitous modern or "tactical" folder clipped to my RFP or sheathed on my belt -- I appreciate the hands-off approach towards posting photos or threads about the modern folders in the main forums. Being able to show off my GEC or Schrade next to a Spyderco or Kershaw is a pleasing benefit to posting on AAPK. Some other forums are a little more...let's say "stern" about that sort of thing, and it creates a hostile and intimidating atmosphere for new posters as well as regulars who might not post as often as some. AAPK really has struck the perfect balance IMO and that's a primary reason it is the #1 knife stop on the internet IMO.

Okay, enough rambling from me. :lol:
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
BigJim2x

Post by BigJim2x »

Well, I haven't posted much but enjoy reading the posts. I have a few moderns and a lot of slip joints but found this forum mostly to become more proficient at sharpening. A lot of my searches had led me here. I check in periodically to see what others have to say. I don't add to the discussion but am amused by many.

Jim
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

BigJim2x wrote:Well, I haven't posted much but enjoy reading the posts. I have a few moderns and a lot of slip joints but found this forum mostly to become more proficient at sharpening. A lot of my searches had led me here. I check in periodically to see what others have to say. I don't add to the discussion but am amused by many.

Jim
Welcome Jim. Glad to have you! :)
BigJim2x

Post by BigJim2x »

One other thing, I have never entered any of the giveaways. I am not exclusively a user although everything I've bought was intended to be - I guess I have quite a collection for not being a collector.

Jim
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

BigJim2x wrote:One other thing, I have never entered any of the giveaways. I am not exclusively a user although everything I've bought was intended to be - I guess I have quite a collection for not being a collector.

Jim
Show some pics Big Jim. We like pics! :)
BigJim2x

Post by BigJim2x »

Show some pics Big Jim. We like pics! :)

I am picture posting challenged

Jim
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

BigJim2x wrote:Show some pics Big Jim. We like pics! :)

I am picture posting challenged

Jim
Some one will be around shortly to help you out. Guys can someone give Big Jim instructions to follow?
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

The venerable Jerry D. has posted detailed instructions in a sticky thread within the Tips & Tricks forum:

viewtopic.php?f=98&t=50258#p534132

Lots of other useful information in that forum as well:

viewforum.php?f=98
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Three years late but none the less a genuine Welcome To AAPK Big Jim.

Thanks for posting that Tony. Ya beat me to it Buddy.

There's even instructions for posting pictures from Apple products and Android phones. If the Tips & Tricks Forum doesn't have a thread that covers what you're using, please let us know and someone will post a tutorial. Cause that's the way we roll on AAPK. ::handshake::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Welcome Big Jim!
Go read that tutorial and show us some of those knives!
(Posting pics aint that hard.... even I can do it....LOL)

Mike
:D
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

The "drag and drop" is my favorite method.

Get your screen set up like this:
Drag & Drop 0.jpg
Left click on the image you want to post and hold down on the mouse key while dragging the image over to the AAPK text area. Once you have the image on the text area, release the mouse button.
Drag & Drop 3.jpg
Once the image is completely loaded to AAPK the "Place Inline" button will show up like this. If you don't use the "Place Inline" feature, images will show up below your text in the sequence in which you loaded them. Pressing the "Place Inline" button for an image will place that image in the text area wherever your cursor is.
Drag & Drop 4.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
S2K

Post by S2K »

I'm new here. (First post.) From my perspective newbies don't/shouldn't post much at first because we're here to learn. As with anything, with time comes the knowledge to make your posts worthwhile. (And I am learning to be sure!)
T.J.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

S2K wrote:I'm new here. (First post.) From my perspective newbies don't/shouldn't post much at first because we're here to learn. As with anything, with time comes the knowledge to make your posts worthwhile. (And I am learning to be sure!)
Makes sense, S2K. WELCOME!!
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

jerryd6818 wrote:The "drag and drop" is my favorite method.

Get your screen set up like this:
Drag & Drop 0.jpg
Left click on the image you want to post and hold down on the mouse key while dragging the image over to the AAPK text area. Once you have the image on the text area, release the mouse button.
Drag & Drop 3.jpg
Once the image is completely loaded to AAPK the "Place Inline" button will show up like this. If you don't use the "Place Inline" feature, images will show up below your text in the sequence in which you loaded them. Pressing the "Place Inline" button for an image will place that image in the text area wherever your cursor is.
Drag & Drop 4.jpg
JerryD is the man ::tu:: ... so I'll take this opportunity to give JerryD a HUGE thanks for helping so many with lots of the technical aspects of AAPK ::tu:: ::handshake::

Agreed drag and drop is no doubt so very easy - if you have photos loaded on computer for sure and while using an iPhone is somewhat different still very easy...
Railsplitter wrote:
S2K wrote:I'm new here. (First post.) From my perspective newbies don't/shouldn't post much at first because we're here to learn. As with anything, with time comes the knowledge to make your posts worthwhile. (And I am learning to be sure!)
Makes sense, S2K. WELCOME!!
My opinion - Actually part of learning for new members looking to learn is to post their knives for show and comment - that is great beginning exercise in learning as well as what Rick noted as to reading posts - but all new guys should never hesitate to ask anything - and I mean anything - everybody here was new at one time and nobody was born with a roll of knives from the womb and a shelf of reference books :lol: :lol: ... If one ever looked back at my first posts I asked anything and everything (lubing etc; books that are helpful; etc etc) and quite frankly it got me moving up the incline of learning much faster... even if a question has been asked before we can direct by link to older posts or some folks may have a new or better answers to old questions ::nod:: ...
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Thank you for that GREAT feedback, very helpful. We always say "read the book before buying the knife" and I guess the sames goes for AAPK "read the forums before buying the knife". I've learned so much since I joined by reading the forums but even more so by asking questions. The members here are different from members in other online forums in that they are supportive and instructive even if a difference of opinion surfaces. While we all have different facets of this hobby that push our buttons (and yes, sharpening is one of those), I read as much as I can even if the topic isn't something that I'm passionate about because it may foster some thinking in area of the hobby that I am passionate about.

In my world, a day without AAPK is like a day without sunshine.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

There ya go Tom, "A day without AAPK makes one weak!" ::woot::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I've discovered I'm more addicted to AAPK than knives. For me, cruising AAPK leads to buying (more) knives not the other way around.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Steve Warden wrote:There ya go Tom, "A day without AAPK makes one weak!" ::woot::
7 days without AAPK makes one WEAK....... LOL.
(Just pokin' at ya' Steve....)

Mike
:lol:
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

jerryd6818 wrote:I've discovered I'm more addicted to AAPK than knives. For me, cruising AAPK leads to buying (more) knives not the other way around.
YEP.... I agree 100%......
I cruise around and see the new toys everyone has and then, it makes me want to go shopin'.

This forum hurts my pocket book.
BUT... that's OK... at least I ain't buyin' liquor and runnin' the roads!
:D
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Okay fellas bear with me a moment, I feel an old-timer story coming on. Old timer on aapk that is, I know some of you newer fellows are older than I am, but I have been active on AAPK for 12 1/2 years, (joined May 15 2006).
Actually I had joined before that and there were some issues with getting me connected in those days. Brian had to delete my profile and I had to re-enroll a few months later because I couldn't log in to AAPK consistently. I think the first time I joined was November or December of 2015. I had to settle for BF until Brian figured out what kept booting me off AAPK or keeping me from logging in.

Back in theose early days, we knew most everyone on the forum that posted regularly. I was in poor health, the reason for my early retirement, and couldn't do a great deal. I walked with a cane or crutches, thankfully I don't use those anymore, titanium knees are a godsend! In 2006 it seems like it took a long time between posts. I might post something in the morning and Johnny Fain might comment on it and there would be no more comments until late in the afternoon when guys on the East Coast got home from work.
On a good day we might have 30 posts and of course you read each and every one of them even if they were not a knife brand that you were interested in. It was just cool to have somebody somewhere to talk to about knives.

Johnny Fain and I spent more time talking to each other on the phone some days than we did reading the forum.
I don't remember how many forms we had probably three or four, I think Case knives had a forum of their own.

As best I remember a slow day was less than 10 posts and the guy just kind of went stir-crazy sometimes waiting for somebody to post something. Nowadays you get your choice of what you want to read about.

I think you fellas are a bit spoiled! :mrgreen:
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Meridian_Mike wrote:
Steve Warden wrote:There ya go Tom, "A day without AAPK makes one weak!" ::woot::
7 days without AAPK makes one WEAK....... LOL.
(Just pokin' at ya' Steve....)

Mike
:lol:
All good! :D
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

I watch AAPK about every day but have alway have thought that I wasn’t “one of the boys”. When did the gold banner member start and how do you join? I hate being a free loader.
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

Jacknifeben wrote:thought that I wasn’t “one of the boys
Why, did you say somethin' anti-Republican? :D

Ben, you joined a few months before me and I've always enjoyed your posts and certainly always thought of you as one of the boys. ::nod::

WB
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

orvet wrote:Okay fellas bear with me a moment, I feel an old-timer story coming on. Old timer on aapk that is, I know some of you newer fellows are older than I am, but I have been active on AAPK for 12 1/2 years, (joined May 15 2006).
Actually I had joined before that and there were some issues with getting me connected in those days. Brian had to delete my profile and I had to re-enroll a few months later because I couldn't log in to AAPK consistently. I think the first time I joined was November or December of 2015. I had to settle for BF until Brian figured out what kept booting me off AAPK or keeping me from logging in.

Back in theose early days, we knew most everyone on the forum that posted regularly. I was in poor health, the reason for my early retirement, and couldn't do a great deal. I walked with a cane or crutches, thankfully I don't use those anymore, titanium knees are a godsend! In 2006 it seems like it took a long time between posts. I might post something in the morning and Johnny Fain might comment on it and there would be no more comments until late in the afternoon when guys on the East Coast got home from work.
On a good day we might have 30 posts and of course you read each and every one of them even if they were not a knife brand that you were interested in. It was just cool to have somebody somewhere to talk to about knives.

Johnny Fain and I spent more time talking to each other on the phone some days than we did reading the forum.
I don't remember how many forms we had probably three or four, I think Case knives had a forum of their own.

As best I remember a slow day was less than 10 posts and the guy just kind of went stir-crazy sometimes waiting for somebody to post something. Nowadays you get your choice of what you want to read about.

Dale right on, I look each day and read everything posted, it was fun to make friends on AAPK. I still enjoy it.

Harold
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

stockman wrote:
orvet wrote:Okay fellas bear with me a moment, I feel an old-timer story coming on. Old timer on aapk that is, I know some of you newer fellows are older than I am, but I have been active on AAPK for 12 1/2 years, (joined May 15 2006).

Dale right on, I look each day and read everything posted, it was fun to make friends on AAPK. I still enjoy it. Joined 2006.

Harold

Return to “General Knife Discussion”