Moki, Mcusta, Al Mar and other Seki Made Knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Moki, Mcusta, Al Mar and other Seki Made Knives

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

kootenay joe wrote:And one more, a little different, a Kanetsune KB237, a boning knife. Would work well when speed is important like de-boning to pack out. OAL 10", convex chisel grind, very sharp.
kj

I wanted to ask you about this one. Do you have any problem w/ cutting your fingers w/ that blade and handle made this way?
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Mark, all i know about Paragon is that the original business was recently sold to a guy in N.C. ? and is now called "Asheville Steel". They have the identical Paragon knives so old stock was part of the deal. This implies they were not good sellers, but they are good knives, very good, as good as Seki gets.
I had 2 of the folders. Recently sent one to be ebayed so it should come up in next month. You might get a deal, meaning anything under about $75.
Yes it locks up tight, solid as a fixed blade. Nobody would be disappointed with this knife or any shown in this thread.
By 1980's Japan's cutlery manufacturers were able to make the most precise knives anywhere worldwide. They still can but now China is able to match the very best from Japan.
kj
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

Here's a few that found a new home just today. Browning double edged daggers in stainless damascus by Ichiro Hattori.
MVIMG_20181005_203858.jpg
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

Another that flew the coop. G.Sakai Kitano Ultimate Hunter in solid zdp189. Most unusual grind in my experience. Hard to describe, but each side of the blade is unique.
Only photo unfortunately.
AirBrush_20181011194803.jpg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

robbobus wrote:Another that flew the coop. G.Sakai Kitano Ultimate Hunter in solid zdp189. Most unusual grind in my experience. Hard to describe, but each side of the blade is unique.
Only photo unfortunately. AirBrush_20181011194803.jpg
Those are all sweet looking knives. Very nice lines and solid build on those. Very sharp.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

Had a nice collection of Hattori made knives. Down to 3 or 4. Going dig into a trunk or 2 and pull out some Japanese steel later.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Whoa, robbo ! Those 3 are all very expensive knives, best of The Best.
Ssk, i have not used the Kanetsune so i cannot say if 'slippery when wet/greasy'. It feels secure in hand with good control of tip end of blade.
When de-boning you don't put much pressure on the blade. I'm sure this one would slice through with ease and no real threat to one's hand.
Would also work as a carving knife or a kitchen slicer-dicer.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here is a Browning knife made in Seki Japan. Micarta handle w/ the buck mark cut out and replaced w/ mother of pearl. Very smooth action opening and closing. It’s easy to open and close one handed. Plus file work on the back spring. A lot of detail on a knife that really wasn’t expensive at all.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_4417.jpeg
IMG_4418.jpeg
IMG_4419.jpeg
IMG_4422.jpeg
IMG_4423.jpeg
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

robbobus wrote:Here's a few that found a new home just today. Browning double edged daggers in stainless damascus by Ichiro Hattori.MVIMG_20181005_203858.jpg
These are very nice, the double edge especially. Had my eye on one for some time, but I would have to get a sheath made so I could carry and use it. Thanks for sharing.
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

I particularly admired the chute version. All 3 of those are designed for a smaller hand than my xxl mitts. I have more need for small folding knives than fixed.
15393822931455309920593088777260.jpg
Here's a couple Moki products. The very nice large Kronos and an Amaranth. Both in VG-10 blade steel. The Amaranth is mirror polished on every surface, visible or not.
Typical flawless execution, lockup is very secure.
Attachments
15393824819163502803642494984125.jpg
15393825194394696621119939198976.jpg
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

Next I will show AG Russell's pinched peanut. This one in Chines Quince. I believe these are Moki made. VG-10 steel and perfect pulls, no half stops and excellent choices in blades.
15393834060675954177753459772037.jpg
This one gets used when I need something small. Perfect size for the pocket whileflying also. If you live in Canada that is.
Attachments
15393834148966629431269703639892.jpg
15393834511503226295368930936863.jpg
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

Couple identical AG Russell dogleg trappers. I bought a 2nd when they came out and lter found a silly good deal on eBay for an unused 1st quality. I think they just wanted to notch a tang as I couldn't find a flaw in the 2nd if my life depended on it. VG-10 and half-stops, 3 5/8" or so. I would prefer a pen to the spey but my name isn't AG Russell. Great knives of course and underrated as users.
1539384352332886037199861160492.jpg
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

15393844469625130841525039002994.jpg
Mismatched pair here. AGR cm10 20th Century Barlow with gold plated blade etch. And the FH 3 with the tricky main blade lock. Excalibur grade serial #10.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I'm glad to see these fine knives getting ::tu:: attention in the AAPK.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

robbobus wrote:I particularly admired the chute version. All 3 of those are designed for a smaller hand than my xxl mitts. I have more need for small folding knives than fixed.15393822931455309920593088777260.jpg
Here's a couple Moki products. The very nice large Kronos and an Amaranth. Both in VG-10 blade steel. The Amaranth is mirror polished on every surface, visible or not.
Typical flawless execution, lockup is very secure.
QS, I have been working hard to keep this thread in the first page so the folks can see what these knives are all about. I ration my posts instead of just putting them all out there at once, which I so badly want to do. This area of collecting is underrepresented on this forum. I think anyone who has been following this will have a better appreciation of these fine knives.
My problem is my list of knives I want has grown exponentially. That Amaranth is one I have had my eye on forever. Love that knife.
Thanks for sharing. It’s good interact w/ others who share the passion.
SSk
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

robbobus wrote:Couple identical AG Russell dogleg trappers. I bought a 2nd when they came out and lter found a silly good deal on eBay for an unused 1st quality. I think they just wanted to notch a tang as I couldn't find a flaw in the 2nd if my life depended on it. VG-10 and half-stops, 3 5/8" or so. I would prefer a pen to the spey but my name isn't AG Russell. Great knives of course and underrated as users.1539384352332886037199861160492.jpg

I have had my eye on that pinched peanut forever. I have wanted one of those for years. Just tell me it’s worth the high price A.G. is charging and I will pull the trigger. Please say it, just say it, come on......
SSk
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

Ssk I hear ya. One of the qualities with Moki for me is they are such outstanding knives they beg to be carried. The Amaranth is so sleek, so slim and yet a good size. I carry mine on occasion, impossible to avoid putting mucro scratches on the mirror polished gandles and blade.
With regarda to the Pinched Peanut. Of all the small knives I own and have owned, there is nothing of equal in design, execution, craftsmanship, materials. If I lost mine, it would be replaced. It absolutely must be carried and used. It may be the biggest bargain available in my opinion andl is worth more than Mr.Russell charges. Just checked and they only have the wooly mammoth handles in right now, its what I would get if doing it over.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

robbo,now this is ridiculous ! Now i have to buy a pinched peanut too and maybe an Amaranth as well. Darn !
I have the AGR Dogleg from the first run and i do not like it. The Stag handles are far too thick for a classy knife. Makes the knife look 'blocky' rather than sleek
I was amazed that AGR even sent these out to buyers, but probably some of his customers like a smallish knife to fill the hand.
I still have it, never used, if anyone likes chunky stag.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

robbobus wrote:Ssk I hear ya. One of the qualities with Moki for me is they are such outstanding knives they beg to be carried. The Amaranth is so sleek, so slim and yet a good size. I carry mine on occasion, impossible to avoid putting mucro scratches on the mirror polished gandles and blade.
With regarda to the Pinched Peanut. Of all the small knives I own and have owned, there is nothing of equal in design, execution, craftsmanship, materials. If I lost mine, it would be replaced. It absolutely must be carried and used. It may be the biggest bargain available in my opinion andl is worth more than Mr.Russell charges. Just checked and they only have the wooly mammoth handles in right now, its what I would get if doing it over.
Thanks for the reply. That has always caught my eye. The lines on that knife look incredible. I guess I forgot about those being made in Japan. That makes it even better as far as I am concerned.
SSk
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kootenay joe wrote:robbo,now this is ridiculous ! Now i have to buy a pinched peanut too and maybe an Amaranth as well. Darn !
I have the AGR Dogleg from the first run and i do not like it. The Stag handles are far too thick for a classy knife. Makes the knife look 'blocky' rather than sleek
I was amazed that AGR even sent these out to buyers, but probably some of his customers like a smallish knife to fill the hand.
I still have it, never used, if anyone likes chunky stag.
kj
Roland, send me some pics of the knife you are talking about. Can’t guarantee I will buy it, but would like to see if it’s something I would want.
Thanks
Mark
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here is a SOG Vulcan, made of VG-10. Made in Seki Japan. Surprised to have not seen a SOG posted on here before now.
I read a lot of mixed reviews on SOG. Seems like some people really hate them. I am not in that catagory. I like SOG and have always had a good impression of them. This knife is razor sharp and flips right out and locks tight. Well made and fit and finish are flawless.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_4409.jpeg
IMG_4410.jpeg
IMG_4411.jpeg
IMG_4412.jpeg
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I'm seeing some knives here that I have also admired for a long time but just never pulled the trigger.

I've wanted an A.G. Russell Pinched Peanut for what seems like a decade. Same with the SOG Vulcan except I want the Mini Vulcan.

There are some exceptional knives in this thread.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

15394552848486061972191334542440.jpg
I think Moki calls this one Blackiston's Owl or similar. Its an entry level Moki but still features perfect fit and finish, comfortable ergonomics and perfect pull, action, I open it one handed as often as not. Linerless micarta handles, Aus8 blade. Its almost weightless for the size. Not only does the tang and spring perfectly align, check out the lickbar fit.
Attachments
15394553039366832993692090900372.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

If you would like to see pictures of the AG Russell Stag, Dog Leg Trapper, i posted them here on AAPK about 1-2 years ago. It is at the bottom of the 3 knives shown. viewtopic.php?f=31&t=49481&p=519229&hil ... ll#p519229
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

robbobus wrote:15394552848486061972191334542440.jpg
I think Moki calls this one Blackiston's Owl or similar. Its an entry level Moki but still features perfect fit and finish, comfortable ergonomics and perfect pull, action, I open it one handed as often as not. Linerless micarta handles, Aus8 blade. Its almost weightless for the size. Not only does the tang and spring perfectly align, check out the lickbar fit.
Wow, I blew up that picture of the backspring and I couldn’t even see where it meets the blade. That’s as tight as it comes.
I hadn’t seen this knife before, it’s nice.
SSk

Return to “Japanese-made knives”