Moki, Mcusta, Al Mar and other Seki Made Knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Moki, Mcusta, Al Mar and other Seki Made Knives

Post by robbobus »

This is my favourite Mcusta, the Bamboo it is called if memory serves. Cocabolo handles, damascus bolster, VG10 blade, beautiful even sharp grind, rounded blade spine, hammered pocket clip, centered blade, solid lockup - every aspect of this knife has been considered,they even include a belt sheath
MVIMG_20181020_122708.jpg
MVIMG_20181020_122624.jpg
MVIMG_20181020_122614.jpg
MVIMG_20181020_122633.jpg
MVIMG_20181020_122639.jpg
MVIMG_20181020_122649.jpg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

robbobus wrote:This is my favourite Mcusta, the Bamboo it is called if memory serves. Cocabolo handles, damascus bolster, VG10 blade, beautiful even sharp grind, rounded blade spine, hammered pocket clip, centered blade, solid lockup - every aspect of this knife has been considered,they even include a belt sheathMVIMG_20181020_122708.jpgMVIMG_20181020_122624.jpgMVIMG_20181020_122614.jpgMVIMG_20181020_122633.jpgMVIMG_20181020_122639.jpgMVIMG_20181020_122649.jpg
Ironic, I was just looking at this on JKD website. I had narrowed my replacement choices to this model and 3 others. Still trying to decide. But those pictures make me lean very heavily toward that one. I was looking at this model w/ ebony wood handles.
This is very nice. I really like this knife.
I also was looking at the Mcusta customs, WOW! I missed the boat on those. Here are three that they had. You would have to be quick to get these. Aren’t they stunning? This first one especially.
Thanks for posting this.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_0218.jpeg
IMG_0219.jpeg
IMG_0220.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Moki Glory.
Attachments
WP_20180325_049.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

robbobus, You have a wonderful example of the knife makers art. I think that virtually all, certainly most, of the knives appearing in this thread should be considered true art.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "This is okay but it’s not what I wanted"
And it never will be. For $290 you must get what you want.
I have found that knives i take an instant like to, i never tire of. An equally fine knife that i had to talk myself into, never became one i bonded with.
Knives are like that and we are like that too.
Only buy what truly speaks to you and be happy to just admire the rest.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kootenay joe wrote:Quote: "This is okay but it’s not what I wanted"
And it never will be. For $290 you must get what you want.
I have found that knives i take an instant like to, i never tire of. An equally fine knife that i had to talk myself into, never became one i bonded with.
Knives are like that and we are like that too.
Only buy what truly speaks to you and be happy to just admire the rest.
kj

KJ, Well said. I decided, I’m sending it back. I love Moki and wanted to try Mcusta. After looking over all the Mcusta knives on JKD I realized that they only make knives that would be considered tactical. Funny I never noticed this before. That gives them a lot more room to be artist on the handles and bolsters. That is making this a tough choice.
Here is what I have narrowed it down to, these five pictured and the one that Robbobus posted earlier. My only hesitation w/ that is that it isn’t a Damascus blade. Damascus is something that Mcusta is famous for, so having one of their knives w/ Damascus is a factor. On Robbobus’s the bolster is Damascus, and that’s pretty cool in my book.
Thanks Roland.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_0221.jpeg
IMG_0222.jpeg
IMG_0223.jpeg
IMG_0224.jpeg
IMG_0225.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Ivoryman wrote:Moki Glory.

Ivoryman, That is a beauty. It has all the statements that a Moki makes, so classical Moki. I like the wooden handles, I assume it to be Chinese Quince from the appareance, but there are some others that look similar to Quince?
Moki does wooden handles right, they always look incredible.
Thanks
SSk
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

I owned one like in the bottom pic with Quince wood. It was a good knife with no real issues. Only thing I can think of was the lock bar was starting to move all the way to the other side after a few years. I gave it to a friend and he still carries it.
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Here is what I have narrowed it down to, these five pictured and the one that Robbobus posted earlier. My only hesitation w/ that is that it isn’t a Damascus blade. Damascus is something that Mcusta is famous for, so having one of their knives w/ Damascus is a factor. On Robbobus’s the bolster is Damascus, and that’s pretty cool in my book.
Thanks Roland.
SSk

MC-0145 is the model number if my Mcusta. I have seen a fellow years ago take the damascus clad blade from a ditMC model and it slid right in. I'm not one for mods anymore, but it was quite stunning.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Not as fancy or as high dollar as what y'all are showing but they were made in Seki. Both are very well made.
Attachments
Coleman Mini-Trapper - Stag - Seki Japan - Labeled.JPG
Coleman Mini-Trapper - Stag - Seki Japan - COO Stamp.JPG
Coleman Mini-Trapper Blue Bone Seki Japan - Labeled.JPG
DSC09553.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
S2K

Post by S2K »

While it's to JKD's credit to respond the way they did, bad on them for shipping out something other than what they displayed, putting it on the buyer to sort it out. My $0.02.
T.J.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

jerryd6818 wrote:Not as fancy or as high dollar as what y'all are showing but they were made in Seki. Both are very well made.
Jerry, That stag one is a beaut. Didn’t realize that Coleman had knives made in Japan back in the day.
SSk
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

S2K wrote:While it's to JKD's credit to respond the way they did, bad on them for shipping out something other than what they displayed, putting it on the buyer to sort it out. My $0.02.
I agree. I have dealt w/ them for such a long time now that I don’t think it was intentional at all. They have always been great to deal w/. This is the first time I have ever had an issue. But it does make me a little leary of buying another black Micarta knife.
SSk
S2K

Post by S2K »

That's good to hear SSK, random error then.
T.J.
outkast

Post by outkast »

Bought the MCUSTA Tsuchi Bushi myself awhile back and not Seki but Al-Mar designs got the Nemesis Mar Private Reserve MPR-1 from my Dad for Christmas. Looks like Nemesis knives has released 3 patterns now. https://www.nemesis-knives.com/mpr-series/
MCUSTA Tsuchi Bushi 1.jpg
MCUSTA Tsuchi Bushi 2.jpg
MCUSTA Tsuchi Bushi 3.jpg
MCUSTA Tsuchi Bushi 4.jpg
Mar Private Reserve -1 - 1.jpg
Mar Private Reserve -1 - 2.jpg
Mar Private Reserve -1 - 3.jpg
Mar Private Reserve -1 - 4.jpg
Mar Private Reserve -1 - 5.jpg
Mar Private Reserve -1 - 6.jpg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

outkast wrote:Bought the MCUSTA Tsuchi Bushi myself awhile back and not Seki but Al-Mar designs got the Nemesis Mar Private Reserve MPR-1 from my Dad for Christmas. Looks like Nemesis knives has released 3 patterns now. https://www.nemesis-knives.com/mpr-series/

I looked at that website. I haven’t heard of Nemesis before. Do you know which models are made in Seki? The site says they use manufacturers in USA, Japan and China. But I don’t see COO on the web pages. All of them look like they are well made. More information would be helpful.
That Mcusta is a favorite of mine. Love the colors on this.
Thanks,
SSk
outkast

Post by outkast »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
outkast wrote:Bought the MCUSTA Tsuchi Bushi myself awhile back and not Seki but Al-Mar designs got the Nemesis Mar Private Reserve MPR-1 from my Dad for Christmas. Looks like Nemesis knives has released 3 patterns now. https://www.nemesis-knives.com/mpr-series/

I looked at that website. I haven’t heard of Nemesis before. Do you know which models are made in Seki? The site says they use manufacturers in USA, Japan and China. But I don’t see COO on the web pages. All of them look like they are well made. More information would be helpful.
That Mcusta is a favorite of mine. Love the colors on this.
Thanks,
SSk
Best of my knowledge they are all made in China, just some of Al-mar's designs that were never brought to production.
S2K

Post by S2K »

My first pic here. I've recently gotten interested in the Japanese Kershaw knives, including this Wild Turkey. Great FF, ergonomics, & style. Steel is just OK, AUS6, but it works for how I use it.
Attachments
IMG_20180903_153344552_HDR~2-852x748.jpg
T.J.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

So I am finally out of knives to post on this thread, until my replacement Mcusta comes. This is the latest Moki I purchased. Since I had the 100th anniversary knife, see the last photo, I bought one of the 110th anniversary knives. They made two styles of this knife. One is made w/ stag and has a VG 10 San Mai clad blade and is serial numbered. Only 110 made of each knife. The one that I purchased is the ebony handled and has SG2 and VG2 Damascus blades. Also limited to 110 pieces and not serial numbered.
The Damascus is high, high polish. It is very hard to see the Damascus pattern unless you hold it just right. Not sure it was captured in the pictures or not. I tried many angles and different lights to make it easier to see in the photos but couldn’t get it right.
This knife is top drawer, w/ the same fit and finish you would expect from Moki. There aren’t many left if you want to add one to your collection. But they are a bit pricey, 280 for this model and 320 for the stag. When I bought mine from JKD it said only 2 left of each model, so that means 1 of this one and 2 or less of the stag.
I noticed that all the new Moki’s and Mcusta’s have much higher prices than the older stock listed on the JKD website. Prices must have gone up a lot. That may be from the strong dollar vs yen. They have not raised prices on the older stock like you would expect a company to do, so the older stock knives on their site seem like a real bargain compared to the newest ones made, IMO.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_4525.jpeg
IMG_4526.jpeg
IMG_4527.jpeg
IMG_4529.jpeg
IMG_4259.jpeg
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

Beauty knife ssk. I finished in 2nd on a stag on eBay a few months ago. Bit regretful I didn't step it up a bit on my bidding. I'm also starting tto get a bit low on folders I haven't shown, be out within the next week.
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

Browning 393 Ice Storm. Made by Mcusta this features red (obviously) anodized aluminum handles and a blade of VG10. Good sturdy long discontinued basic pocketknife. I truly wish I had bought dozens when they cleared (gave away) this out.
154016001700910054310196980384.jpg
1540160029129154079967294624567.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Wow ! Now i will be looking for an Ice Storm. What a knife !
kj
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
Ivoryman wrote:Moki Glory.

Ivoryman, That is a beauty. It has all the statements that a Moki makes, so classical Moki. I like the wooden handles, I assume it to be Chinese Quince from the appareance, but there are some others that look similar to Quince?
Moki does wooden handles right, they always look incredible.
Thanks
SSk
Quince indeed. I have other woods but none with this burl look and the grain is so cool and has texture photos don't get. And that warm, grippy feel. I like Quince. And here, here, to everything you said, impeccable. I can't imagine sending a Moki back to the factory either, like I have with Case, Queen, GEC. Maybe it happens but I'll bet it's not like Case and GEC. I won't even go into Queen, but I would say one out of every dozen GEC I have purchased have needed sending back. i have a 14 I sent back to the factory at the moment even, and this is my second 14 that goes back to factory, both with the same problem. waiting weeks for it's return, blade hits the backspring at the pin bump and puts a lame crescent in the edge right where you do a lot of cutting. NEVER heard of that on a Moki, or sending back to the factory to fix issues. Speaks for itself. Thanks, glad you like seeing it. I love my Mokis and they're in the rotation, but I carry others more. But not for anything wrong with the Mokis. No way.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

S2K wrote:My first pic here. I've recently gotten interested in the Japanese Kershaw knives, including this Wild Turkey. Great FF, ergonomics, & style. Steel is just OK, AUS6, but it works for how I use it.
Thanks for posting and welcome to the forums. There is nothing wrong w/ AUS6 or AUS8. I have both and have never had an issue w/ either. My EDC is AUS8 and I am pretty impressed w/ the way it holds an edge and it’s not hard to sharpen. But I’m not a steel snob so that’s just my opinion. I like the looks of this one.
SSk
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

robbobus wrote:Browning 393 Ice Storm. Made by Mcusta this features red (obviously) anodized aluminum handles and a blade of VG10. Good sturdy long discontinued basic pocketknife. I truly wish I had bought dozens when they cleared (gave away) this out.154016001700910054310196980384.jpg1540160029129154079967294624567.jpg
That one is obviously Mcusta. It does have some interesting lines and I’m loving the handles on that one.
SSk

Return to “Japanese-made knives”