Moki, Mcusta, Al Mar and other Seki Made Knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Moki, Mcusta, Al Mar and other Seki Made Knives

Post by Quick Steel »

I felt strongly that there had to be some way to bring in a greater variety of knives without in any way weakening our commitment to the classic traditional patterns. And you, SSK have done it! Great work. ::tu::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Quick Steel wrote:I felt strongly that there had to be some way to bring in a greater variety of knives without in any way weakening our commitment to the classic traditional patterns. And you, SSK have done it! Great work. ::tu::
Thank you QS. I tried interjecting some discussion into other threads about Japanese knives, and just didn’t get much traction. But starting a thread just for those, seemed like an idea worth trying. I think it’s been pretty positively received. I appreciate all those that have posted and will post.
I’m running out of Japanese knives to share, so I hope others will continue to put new ones up. I will be relegated to posting pictures of the knives I want to own, like these two I’m posting w/ this reply. Saw these on the JKD website along w/ many others. I’m not usually a big fan of synthetic material handles, cellulose acetate to be exact, but these are really nice. Seems like synthetics are getting better and better. A few years ago there weren’t a lot of choices and the ones that there were, didn’t impress me much. I think Moki waited until it got a lot better, and they made some great choices. The dark one is called Aurora.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_0210.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

1539546965138272882838480737278.jpg
This onr is a beaut. Factiry 2nd AG Russell by Moki. Unfortunately she has a broken backspring.
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

Here are a few more from Mr. Russell.
1539551945990152504794916266656.jpg
15395519965937521807186093302767.jpg
I don't think that these are from the same factory. Both have a san mai constructed blade, not sure what the cutting edge is constructed of. The large feature screwed construction vs. pinned in the smaller. While both are fine knives, they are not at a Moki level as far as fit, finish go. Not as glass smooth opening. Both feature very ergonomic handles with a nice swell, particularly the large one. No room for any extra blade in the large in any respect.
The smaller is about 3 5/8 and the large 4 1/2.
15395526343556448016143635430385.jpg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

robbobus wrote:Here are a few more from Mr. Russell.1539551945990152504794916266656.jpg15395519965937521807186093302767.jpg
I don't think that these are from the same factory. Both have a san mai constructed blade, not sure what the cutting edge is constructed of. The large feature screwed construction vs. pinned in the smaller. While both are fine knives, they are not at a Moki level as far as fit, finish go. Not as glass smooth opening. Both feature very ergonomic handles with a nice swell, particularly the large one. No room for any extra blade in the large in any respect.
The smaller is about 3 5/8 and the large 4 1/2. 15395526343556448016143635430385.jpg
I haven’t seen the top one before. It looks rugged. I love the bottom one. I think we have A.G. to thank for bringing us so many Seki made knives. I’m sure he helped on the quality issues over time as well. Thanks for sharing. I’d love to take that top one out and do some heavy duty cutting w/ it.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I may not have time to take any pictures today, so I am posting one from Moki that is on my want list, in fact it’s the next knife I hope to purchase. This description is from the JKD website. MK-110ANV-EBY Moki's Elegant Basic lockback folder of 2-1/2" mirror polished multi-layered SG-2 (Super Gold II) and VG-2 Coreless Damascus V-grind blade with nail-nick, Etched with "110th Anniversary", 3-1/4" Hand rounded Black Ebonywood handle with solid Nickel silver bolster & liners, Nickel silver "MOKI" shield and lanyard hole on end, Lock back device with engraved serial numbers, Comes with Brown Leather pouch and Fancy Gift box
SG-2 & VG-2 Damascus blade in 2.5mm thick, 63mm blade, 150mm overall in open, Weight 60g

The stag version of this runs 320 to 350, depending on where you buy it.
I don’t have a Damascus Moki, and this one has captured my attention.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_0211.jpeg
Cletus Awreetus

Post by Cletus Awreetus »

please correct any misinformation I might give on this one. It's my understanding it was made by BlackJack. They have a name for theirs and there were one or two spinoffs. This one is marked FLT-1 which is common to all versions. Looks like the only place it would be useful is under the Poker table...
Attachments
BlackJack 1.JPG
BlackJack 2.JPG
BlackJack 3.JPG
-the problem with society today is, no one drinks from the skulls of their dead enemies anymore..-
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I’m not familiar w/ that one. I really love the handle design on that, pretty much like a tear drop jack. Very nice fit and finish.
I don’t know much about Black Jack. I see their Momba for sale quite often. I think it’s called Momba? That’s about the only knife from them that I have seen. I would say that what you have there is a bit unique and probably scarce.
Thanks for posting.
SSk
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

For anyone following this thread. These knives are just like the knife I posted earlier from Master Imai. These are showing still available on the Japaneseknifedirect, JKD website. http://japaneseknifedirect.com/ImaiSI-700Series.html . The ivory handled one is sold out.
Again, Master Imai died in 2014 and there are very few of his knives left to buy. My personal opinion is that these are good ones to collect. I don’t think many people are aware of how scarce these are becoming. Of course some are just discovering these knives for the first time.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_0212.jpeg
IMG_0213.jpeg
IMG_0214.jpeg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Cletus Awreetus wrote:please correct any misinformation I might give on this one. It's my understanding it was made by BlackJack. They have a name for theirs and there were one or two spinoffs. This one is marked FLT-1 which is common to all versions. Looks like the only place it would be useful is under the Poker table...

Well I just couldn’t hold out for Black Friday sales on JKD. Just order 3 new knives. 2 Moki’s and one Mcusta. This thread is contagious. I’ve got the fever. Japanese fever that is.
Now I need to sell some more knives to counter this big purchase.
SSk
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Cletus Awreetus wrote:please correct any misinformation I might give on this one. It's my understanding it was made by BlackJack. They have a name for theirs and there were one or two spinoffs. This one is marked FLT-1 which is common to all versions. Looks like the only place it would be useful is under the Poker table...
Steve, I watched that video you sent me of that knife above, pretty impressive. It looks even better in the video than in the pictures that you took. Thank you.
Here is my all time favorite EDC knife. Hands down, I don’t know of any better knife I have ever had. It’s practical, both blades have thumb studs. You also have a clip blade and a wharncliff blade both. Liner locks on both blades, which I think is imperative. Fit and finish are typical of a Japanese knife. Both are the same model 4380 from Kershaw. The black one is the one I carry the most and it’s stainless Damascus. The other is AUS 8, which is one of my favorite stainless steels. It’s not hard to sharpen and it holds an edge well. Usually I just use a honing rod on the blades, I have only had to sharpen each one once in the many years of owning them. The reason I have two is that after I bought the redwood one and carried it for a number of years. A.G. Russell had this black Damascus one in his catalog. They only made 100 of this and I just couldn’t pass it up. Plus I love carrying this since it has the Damascus blade. Besides the 4380 model number Kershaw calls this the Double Cross.
Don’t think they make this any more, but if you watch, you can usually find one online somewhere.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_4436.jpeg
IMG_4437.jpeg
IMG_4438.jpeg
IMG_4440.jpeg
IMG_4441.jpeg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Great looking and highly practical knives Mark. ::tu:: ::tu::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Quick Steel wrote:Great looking and highly practical knives Mark. ::tu:: ::tu::
Thanks QS. Surprised more people don’t share my enthusiasm on this knife. I suppose the thumb studs are a not practical for some projects and they do get in the way at times, but that’s just a good excuse to carry another knife. Besides I love opening a knife one handed and closing it one handed. It’s kind of like shooting my Henry rifle, it just feels right.
SSk
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here is one of the three that I ordered. Got notified today that my knives are on the way. This will be my first Mcusta. I can’t wait. Will share pictures of the actual knife. Although JKD does a remarkable job on their photo’s. I tried to imitate this when I first opened my eBay store. It’s a lot harder to take a good photo on a mirror than you would think. I never did get to the quality of photo that they have. Every angle I changed on the mirror reflected something distracting. Still can’t figure it out.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_0216.jpeg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

SSK, you have stirred my interest in Japanese knives. Sure some pretty ones. I like the design. ::nod:: ::nod::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

doglegg wrote:SSK, you have stirred my interest in Japanese knives. Sure some pretty ones. I like the design. ::nod:: ::nod::
That one really caught my eye. It was kind of an impulse purchase, along w/ another one. I ordered a Moki bird and trout knife as well as the 110th anniversary knife in Ebony and Damascus stainless. It’s going to be like Christmas when they get here.
SSk
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

robbobus wrote:Here are a few more from Mr. Russell.1539551945990152504794916266656.jpg15395519965937521807186093302767.jpg
The smaller is about 3 5/8 and the large 4 1/2. 15395526343556448016143635430385.jpg

I wanted to put a rare one up that A.G. Russell produced. If anyone owns this one, I would sure like to see more pictures of this one. It’s called 20th Century Barlow. Only 300 made. The only one of the three models still available is one of the 1-25 serial numbers, premier grade at 495 dollars. Wow.
Do you have or know anyone who has one of these Robbobus?
If you do, could you post some pictures, or coax someone to?
Thanks,
SSk
Attachments
IMG_0217.jpeg
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

I do have one. I put a poor picture up on page 6 or so, try and get a better one soon. My best opportunity to take photos is after my girls are in bed, but without natural light and no photo skills my resilts lack. Mine is the grade below the Premiere, without the engraving. Excellently executed lockback, I would think by Moki.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

robbobus wrote:I do have one. I put a poor picture up on page 6 or so, try and get a better one soon. My best opportunity to take photos is after my girls are in bed, but without natural light and no photo skills my resilts lack. Mine is the grade below the Premiere, without the engraving. Excellently executed lockback, I would think by Moki.
Sorry about that. I guess the lighting is a little dark, didn’t realize that was the knife. Some better photos would be helpful. So how do you like this knife? Do you think the 495 one would be worth having? I would have to really think that over before diving in to one that expensive. From what I can see, it looks like one heck of a knife.
SSk
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

robbobus wrote:I do have one. I put a poor picture up on page 6 or so, try and get a better one soon. My best opportunity to take photos is after my girls are in bed, but without natural light and no photo skills my resilts lack. Mine is the grade below the Premiere, without the engraving. Excellently executed lockback, I would think by Moki.
I just reviewed this entire thread and man you have some of the nicest Seki made knives I have seen. I just wanted to thank you again for posting those. The Brownings are really incredible.
You must have seen the quality of these some time ago to have acquired this many of these knives, the A.G. Russells, the Brownings, the Moki’s etc. I hope my collection is this nice some day.
Hope you have more to post.
SSk
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Got my order from JKD today, it came early. This is a bird and trout knife from Moki. Wooden handles w/ MOP and Abalone accents. Very solid feeling. Next time I go fishing for bluegill I intend to use this and see how good it works, been needing a new knife for that task anyway.
This was only 77 dollars, which I think is a bargain for the quality and craftsmanship.
The last knife was one they threw in free. It’s a small Higo no Kami knife. Not sure why the bell, I have a feeling it might be considered good luck.
Will post the other two that I got in the coming days.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_4530.jpeg
IMG_4531.jpeg
IMG_4532.jpeg
IMG_4533.jpeg
IMG_4535.jpeg
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Stumbled onto a new thread, didn't know it was out here, learn something every day here as usual. I loved every Seki made I've had. Have three. Here are a couple faves. Red G. Sakai Bird and Trout. Amber Stag Bone Moki Kronos.
Attachments
WP_20180412_023.jpg
WP_20180907_046.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Ivoryman wrote:Stumbled onto a new thread, didn't know it was out here, learn something every day here as usual. I loved every Seki made I've had. Have three. Here are a couple faves. Red G. Sakai Bird and Trout. Amber Stag Bone Moki Kronos.
Glad you found this, it wasn’t started that long ago. I have not seen that bird and trout knife before. It’s beautiful. The Kronos is a classic Moki and they are all over top beautiful.
Thanks for posting, especially that b&t.
SSk
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

SSk, I think your little bell is to scare away bad spirits.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Quick Steel wrote:SSk, I think your little bell is to scare away bad spirits.

QS, that was what I was thinking. Either chase away bad spirits or to bring good luck, which is 6 of 1 half dozen of the other.
That little knife is not a high quality. But it will work and it is sharp. Would make for a good pocket carry. Or my wife could use it for sowing cutting threads.
SSk

Return to “Japanese-made knives”