Moki, Mcusta, Al Mar and other Seki Made Knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Moki, Mcusta, Al Mar and other Seki Made Knives

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

kennedy knives wrote:Taylor Cutlery Also Produced Knives made in Japan here's 2 models Nice well made knives

Gary, I forgot about Taylor. They had some pretty nice knives as well. So many great knives came from that era when the Japanese were considered the “cheap” knife. But they weren’t made cheaply at all. It’s interesting seeing the transition from that time to the more modern era of the Seki knives.
I’m glad that so many are enjoying this thread. It’s a passion of mine when it comes to collecting, the Japanese knives that is.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

I was look at some Ed Halligan Kiss Knives that I have and saw that they were made in Japan not as nice as what we have been looking at but interesting .
Attachments
Kiss ,Buck Shaddle F&R, Kutmaster 001.JPG
Kiss ,Buck Shaddle F&R, Kutmaster 005.JPG
Kiss ,Buck Shaddle F&R, Kutmaster 008.JPG
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Found a Bulldog Brand That Parker according to his book did in Seki Japan . It's a copy of the Brown & Farr Knives Made In Atlanta Ga .
Still not as nice as the other Seki Knives Posted .
Attachments
Kiss ,Buck Shaddle F&R, Kutmaster 048.JPG
Kiss ,Buck Shaddle F&R, Kutmaster 049.JPG
Kiss ,Buck Shaddle F&R, Kutmaster 056.JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

kennedy knives wrote:Found a Bulldog Brand That Parker according to his book did in Seki Japan . It's a copy of the Brown & Farr Knives Made In Atlanta Ga .
Isn't that one called the ground hog or something like that? It looks like the perfect whittler to me. I have also seen them with MOP stocks. Good pick up. ::tu::
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

doglegg wrote:
kennedy knives wrote:Found a Bulldog Brand That Parker according to his book did in Seki Japan . It's a copy of the Brown & Farr Knives Made In Atlanta Ga .
Isn't that one called the ground hog or something like that? It looks like the perfect whittler to me. I have also seen them with MOP stocks. Good pick up. ::tu::
Yes it was called Groundhog in Genuine Rosewood & the other one is in Pearl
Thanks Gary ::tu::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kennedy knives wrote:
doglegg wrote:
Yes it was called Groundhog in Genuine Rosewood & the other one is in Pearl
Thanks Gary ::tu::
Gary, I was unaware that CRKT had any knives made in Japan. I have avoided their knives for years because it seemed like everything I ever looked at was made in China. I will have to keep an eye out in the future for those.
This last one is very interesting. The only one I have seen like it is made by Rough Rider. Good to see such a useful knife made in Japan. While that knife isn’t great for a lot of tasks, it would be the best for the tasks it was designed for. Lots of leverage on the cutting surface.
Very nice. You never cease to amaze me.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I forgot that I had this knife. Purchased it earlier this year on eBay. Cattaraugus Cutlery Seki Japan made small bullet trapper. Love that jigged bone handle.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_4953.jpeg
IMG_4954.jpeg
IMG_4955.jpeg
IMG_4956.jpeg
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

I have it's brother not as good of photo :roll:
Attachments
Scout & Case DR's , AG Russel 055.JPG
Scout & Case DR's , AG Russel 064.JPG
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kennedy knives wrote:I have it's brother not as good of photo :roll:
Those may actually be the same color. My wife stole my natural light lamp for her eBay items and I think the light I was using distorted the color a bit.
These are nice little knives.
SSk
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Mark, Those Cattaraugus knives are mighty handsome.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Quick Steel wrote:Mark, Those Cattaraugus knives are mighty handsome.

Thanks QS. For the money these are very fine examples of Japanese quality. These aren’t that expensive when you find them. Interesting, I have never seen a used one of these for sale. It’s one of those knives that when you get it you just don’t want to spoil it in any way.
SSk
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Had to add another Browning Made in Japan Folding Hunter Lock Back . Love the centering of the blade great job
Attachments
Frank Cent S&M Browning Sog 057.JPG
Frank Cent S&M Browning Sog 064.JPG
Frank Cent S&M Browning Sog 063.JPG
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kennedy knives wrote:Had to add another Browning Made in Japan Folding Hunter Lock Back . Love the centering of the blade great job

Gary, That centering is impressive. I haven’t seen that Browning knife in long time. Forgot about that one. Very nice.
SSk
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Gary, I was looking at your knives last night and noticed that you have already sold this one. Nice going. You have some incredible knives for sale.
SSk
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
Gary, I was looking at your knives last night and noticed that you have already sold this one. Nice going. You have some incredible knives for sale.
SSk
Thanks Mark yes the Parker copy of the Brown & Farr Knife lasted less than 2 hr's . The Guy said he was waiting on one of those :D couldn't believe I sold it that cheap . I offered to raise the price and he laughed ::rotflol::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kennedy knives wrote:
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
SSk
Thanks Mark yes the Parker copy of the Brown & Farr Knife lasted less than 2 hr's . The Guy said he was waiting on one of those :D couldn't believe I sold it that cheap . I offered to raise the price and he laughed ::rotflol::
When something sells “just like that” you kick yourself for not pricing it higher. Anyone that sells knives has had that happen to them. Just like my Case Sodbuster w/ a liner lock, man I left money on the table that time.
I hadn’t seen that knife before, it does look like it would tackle any task you wanted it for.
You have some Al Mar fixed blades you should post on this thread and give us a little information about them. Those are some really nice pieces.
Mark
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Mark will post a few AL-Mar Fixed Blade Next week doing a Gun Show this weekend :D Had to add a few photos' will talk about them next week
Attachments
AL-MAR 004.JPG
AL-MAR 008.JPG
AL-MAR 009.JPG
AL-MAR 010.JPG
AL-MAR 012.JPG
AL-MAR 014.JPG
AL-MAR 007.JPG
r redden

Post by r redden »

kennedy knives wrote:Mark will post a few AL-Mar Fixed Blade Next week doing a Gun Show this weekend :D Had to add a few photos' will talk about them next week
Remind me to never get close to you with my credit card. :mrgreen: ::paranoid::

Just kidding those are some fine pieces of cutlery my friend.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

r redden wrote:
kennedy knives wrote:Mark will post a few AL-Mar Fixed Blade Next week doing a Gun Show this weekend :D Had to add a few photos' will talk about them next week
Remind me to never get close to you with my credit card. :mrgreen: ::paranoid::

Just kidding those are some fine pieces of cutlery my friend.
Thanks for the comment. I take Cash, checks & Pay-Pal ::rotflol:: no Charge Cards :D
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Hey Gary, Tell us about some of these Al Mar fixed blades. I see some of them at your store. There is one there that I think is a about an 800 dollar knife. Could you explain a little about the history of this one and some of the others?
SSk
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Mark I have 2 Al-Mars Grunts the first one is a Grunt 1 Blade length 5 1/8", OVL 9 3/4" Leather Handle, Steel 6A the second is a Grunt 2 Blade Length 7 3/4", OVL 13"Leather Handle, Blade Steel 6A . The Grunt 2 was for Europe Market . In one of Al-Mars earl Catalogs His statement was they were made for those select individuals who refuse to follow the crowd, This is why Leading international Law enforcement, military, and special operations organizations rely on our product . I believe he was right they are superior Fixed Blades that are very comfortable to handle and use with a very Sharp edge . This I have found to be so on Al of the Al-Mars.
Attachments
Al-Mar Grunt 1
Al-Mar Grunt 1
AL-Mar Grunt 2
AL-Mar Grunt 2
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kennedy knives wrote:Mark I have 2 Al-Mars Grunts the first one is a Grunt 1 Blade length 5 1/8", OVL 9 3/4" Leather Handle, Steel 6A the second is a Grunt 2 Blade Length 7 3/4", OVL 13"Leather Handle, Blade Steel 6A . The Grunt 2 was for Europe Market . In one of Al-Mars earl Catalogs His statement was they were made for those select individuals who refuse to follow the crowd, This is why Leading international Law enforcement, military, and special operations organizations rely on our product . I believe he was right they are superior Fixed Blades that are very comfortable to handle and use with a very Sharp edge . This I have found to be so on Al of the Al-Mars.

Gary, Those are both a thing of beauty. Love the lines on the blades, that takes some real talent to get that right. The handles are pretty nice too.
More, more.
SSk
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

This is what I think I Know about Al-Mar The man & his Knives . Born in the USA to Chinese immigrants . Served in a Special Forces Unit in the late 50's in Vietnam as a all Asian unit . After serving in the Army ,Al-Mar earned a Masters degree in industrial design in California . In 1968 Al went to work for Gerber as a packing designer ,When the head designer at Gerber retired Pete Gerber gave Al the job . In 1979 Al left Gerber to form his own Company AL- Mar Knives . Al-Mar Knives were manufactured in Seki City Japan in a 1000 year old sword making facility , mostly by G.Sakai .
Al-Mar died in 1992 from a aneurysm. After his death his wife sold Al-Mar with some conditions that some of the older patterns that Al made could not be made with by the new owners . Al-Mars older Patterns bring a premium. Today Al-Mar knives is headed by Gary Fadden .
Some of what I think I know on the Stamps of Al-Mar Knives the first couple of years they were stamped Al-Mar on the front side , USA Seki Japan on the rear , then the USA was dropped. From about 1981 to 1992 the time of Al-Mars Death they had Al-Mar Seki Japan after 1992 the Seki was removed .
Any info would be helpful as what I have stated has come from other collector and reading info from the internet . It would be nice if someone would do a book on all his knives and on him I have around 80 different knives that was made by Al. Maybe at a later date I can share the models and the knives . I have shared this photo before it's the first 13 knives (stamped USA Seki Japan) that AL-Mar did in a Factory display with prices & almost all of the original boxes
Attachments
Al-Mar first 13 knives
Al-Mar first 13 knives
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kennedy knives wrote:This is what I think I Know about Al-Mar The man & his Knives . Born in the USA to Chinese immigrants . Served in a Special Forces Unit in the late 50's in Vietnam as a all Asian unit . After serving in the Army ,Al-Mar earned a Masters degree in industrial design in California . In 1968 Al went to work for Gerber as a packing designer ,When the head designer at Gerber retired Pete Gerber gave Al the job . In 1979 Al left Gerber to form his own Company AL- Mar Knives . Al-Mar Knives were manufactured in Seki City Japan in a 1000 year old sword making facility , mostly by G.Sakai .
Al-Mar died in 1992 from a aneurysm. After his death his wife sold Al-Mar with some conditions that some of the older patterns that Al made could not be made with by the new owners . Al-Mars older Patterns bring a premium. Today Al-Mar knives is headed by Gary Fadden .
Some of what I think I know on the Stamps of Al-Mar Knives the first couple of years they were stamped Al-Mar on the front side , USA Seki Japan on the rear , then the USA was dropped. From about 1981 to 1992 the time of Al-Mars Death they had Al-Mar Seki Japan after 1992 the Seki was removed .
Any info would be helpful as what I have stated has come from other collector and reading info from the internet . It would be nice if someone would do a book on all his knives and on him I have around 80 different knives that was made by Al. Maybe at a later date I can share the models and the knives . I have shared this photo before it's the first 13 knives (stamped USA Seki Japan) that AL-Mar did in a Factory display with prices & almost all of the original boxes
Gary, I just want to thank you for the information. I didn’t know most of that about Al or the knives. It has mystified me for a long time why some are worth so much more than others, now I know. Wish I had focused on these older Al-Mars earlier. I still haven’t bought one. I tried on eBay but the price got way out of what I was prepared to pay. I will study those tang stamps so I can tell the difference in the future.
You are a wealth of information. Thank you again.
Mark
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Mark After Christmas I will try and show the different Stamps that I have on the AL-Mars for reference.
Have a Merry Christmas

Return to “Japanese-made knives”