Moki, Mcusta, Al Mar and other Seki Made Knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
Ivoryman

Re: Moki, Mcusta, Al Mar and other Seki Made Knives

Post by Ivoryman »

Another fine import from Japan, few years old and don't know if it was made in Seki, but like Moki in quality pretty much.
Attachments
WP_20181113_075.jpg
WP_20181113_094.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

A Few Mcusta a couple that limited all Damascus
The first one is 4th Edition July 2008 Model LMC 2201D Mt Fuji Wave Design By Hokusai Katsushika VG-10 Damascus of 33 layers
Stainless Steel Handle with Cocobolo wood insert

The Second one is Model LMC-1211/1311 Ginkgo/Pine Leaves 1 of 80 Serial # 23 . VG-10 Damascus . Cocobolo Handle with Turquoise inlay on Ginkgo Leaf

The Third one is Model MC-0076D with 33 layers of Nickel Damascus Steel and VG-10 Core . Handles of Staminawood . Anodized Pivot Pin with special oiled washed system
Attachments
Mcust Mt Fuji Wave  Serial # 58 of 60
Mcust Mt Fuji Wave Serial # 58 of 60
MT Fuji Wave
MT Fuji Wave
Ginko & Pine Leaves Serial # 23 of 80
Ginko & Pine Leaves Serial # 23 of 80
Ginko & Pine
Ginko & Pine
Model MC 76 Staminawood
Model MC 76 Staminawood
Staminawood & Damascus
Staminawood & Damascus
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

kennedy knives wrote:
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
kennedy knives wrote:I will add an AL-Mar Nice Bowie & a Couple Of Sere IV Fixed Blades Model 3004 ::tu::

Gary, I forgot I hadn’t responded on this latest post. Those are some more beauties. My appreciation for Al Mar has gone over the top after seeing these here. When I search on eBay for Al Mar, I am impressed w/ how many there are out there, and more than a little surprised at the high prices on these. These Al Mars have and hold value very well. I was outbid the other day on what would have been my first Al Mar, and was very disappointed. I am taking an opportunistic approach to my Al Mar buys. Concentrating hard on acquiring all the Mcusta MC-3 series of knives. Picked up 2 more last night and will post those when they arrive. 4 down 3 to go.
Keep the Seki made knives coming!
SSk
Which one's are you looking for my be able to help ::handshake::[/quote

Gary, Thank you, I have found these for sale, just not at a good price. I appreciate any help. MC-31D Kasumi, MC-34C Tsuchi, and MC-37C Yoroi. They should be in that order in the photos. The last one is expensive and tends to run 30-50 dollars higher than the others. I got one of the others last night for 83, which is about half what they usually run and the other I found for 115 about 40 less than usual. 36D and 32D.
That seller has the 35D mistakenly listed as the 36D for 115, he had two knives at that price. The 35D is the last photo I have posted, here is the listing on eBay if anyone is interested. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mcusta-Seki-Ta ... SwF5hb3Zr7
I think 115 is a very good price for that one. If I were listing it, I would have it set at 150. I know a few have commented on this one when I posted it last week.
Thanks again,
SSk
Attachments
IMG_0252.jpeg
IMG_0254.jpeg
IMG_0222.jpeg
IMG_4896.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Gary, Beautiful knives to state the obvious. Truly artistic.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kennedy knives wrote:A Few Mcusta a couple that limited all Damascus

Those are all three really nice ones. That Wave is ingenious and beautiful. Have you seen the Mcusta w/ the Koi? At least two of those are limited production run and very expensive,that Wave and the one w/ the Gingko leaf. Very nice. You have the most impressive collection of Seki made knives I have ever seen. I’m so envious.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_0259.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
kennedy knives wrote:A Few Mcusta a couple that limited all Damascus

Those are all three really nice ones. That Wave is ingenious and beautiful. Have you seen the Mcusta w/ the Koi? At least two of those are limited production run and very expensive,that Wave and the one w/ the Gingko leaf. Very nice. You have the most impressive collection of Seki made knives I have ever seen. I’m so envious.
SSk
The one you show should be a number piece a rare one also ::groove::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Ivoryman wrote:Another fine import from Japan, few years old and don't know if it was made in Seki, but like Moki in quality pretty much.
Ivoryman, That stag is beautiful. It looks very similar to Moki. The stag reminds me of some I have seen on some Al Mars. Nice!
SSk
S2K

Post by S2K »

Ivoryman wrote:Another fine import from Japan, few years old and don't know if it was made in Seki, but like Moki in quality pretty much.
Good looking knife ivoryman. Is there a mark side tang stamp?
T.J.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Both stamps
Attachments
WP_20181113_141.jpg
WP_20181113_144.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
S2K

Post by S2K »

Well, that makes sense. Nice having one of Mr. Russell's right now. ::tu::
T.J.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Ivoryman wrote:Both stamps

I thought that was an A.G. Russell. I am really liking those red spacers.
SSk
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

This eBay seller has no track record, but has some pretty amazing knives for sale. I contacted her and asked where the knives came from. She told me that her deceased father was a collector. There are several Mcustas, a William Henry, Chris Reeves and this Dew Hara from Seki and others.
I have been in love w/ Master Koji Hara and his son Dew’s knives for a long time. Some think the style is too aggressive, but I like them. This is a knife I hadn’t seen before and it’s pretty amazing. She is starting this one at 1045 w/ a buy it now for 1500. That’s a bit high but right in line w/ full retail, on the starting price.
So what do you think? Like it or not? I know no one likes the price but I’m asking about whether you like the style?
SSk
Attachments
IMG_0262.jpeg
IMG_0262.jpeg (42.71 KiB) Viewed 2592 times
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Unfortunately, the photo cannot be enlarged, but I like it.
S2K

Post by S2K »

Beautiful, and FF to die for no doubt. I'd have to live with that one for a while to know for sure, but right off I don't care for the thumb stud. What's the handles made from?
T.J.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
Ivoryman wrote:Both stamps

I thought that was an A.G. Russell. I am really liking those red spacers.
SSk
Thanks. That's the one thing that doesn't do much for me incidentally. It's a fabulous knife and great antler, action and pull is amazing, centering middle, love the liners, bolster, lock up is typical of Moki and Seki stuff so very tight and solid, and a fabulous knife, just a bit thick in the stag department if you know what I mean. And if you like it and horse trading PM me and it could be yours.
Attachments
WP_20180312_011.jpg
WP_20180312_002.jpg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

S2K wrote:Beautiful, and FF to die for no doubt. I'd have to live with that one for a while to know for sure, but right off I don't care for the thumb stud. What's the handles made from?
The description says Duralumin. It doesn’t say what the black material is. I would guess either buffalo horn or Micarta.
SSk
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

2 more in the MC-3 series. Thanks to Gary Kennedy I will have the last 3 in this series next week. These two I got on eBay. To my surprise the second one has the smoothest action of all 4 that I have. It’s also the least expensive. The oiled washer is smooth by itself, but this one is especially smooth. And the linerlock is much easier to work.
The first one is interesting in that this 33 layer Damascus handle is sawcut, which gives it a very good grip.
Looking forward to the last 3 arriving.
By the way, if there is a Seki made knife you are interested in, I would recommend Gary, he can find anything.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_4914.jpeg
IMG_4915.jpeg
IMG_4916.jpeg
IMG_4917.jpeg
IMG_4918.jpeg
IMG_4919.jpeg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Beautiful knives Mark. Did I say beautiful? How about gorgeous? You are building a tremendous collection. Congratulations.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Quick Steel wrote:Beautiful knives Mark. Did I say beautiful? How about gorgeous? You are building a tremendous collection. Congratulations.
Thanks QS. I thought it would take me a lot longer than this to get them all. Got lucky on two and Gary got me a great deal on the last of the 7. The last group of knives that I went after all that were made were those Case Ivory knives where I bought all 6 w/ matching serial numbers.
I wonder what I will go after next? I think I better start accumulating Al Mar next. I still don’t have any. I will enjoy that hunt too.
Hope we see some more posts on this thread. Just reviewed the entire thread and I love this thread.
SSK
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here is an unusual knife. Wondered if anyone knows anything about this? It’s listed on eBay and there isn’t much info with the listing. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nakayama-Hidet ... Sw9bdaymS0
It’s very unusual design. The fit and finish doesn’t strike me as right, especially for the price. The pins are sticking out and the blade/spring meet up doesn’t look tight at all.
Anyone know anything about this?
SSk
Attachments
s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg (32.6 KiB) Viewed 2681 times
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Here's a couple of Mcusta Tactility Elite in Damascus top one handle in Cocobolo Wood Model MC122DR. Bottom one Handle Ironwood Model MC128D .
I use one as my EDC holds a great edge ::tu:: ::tu::
Attachments
Top one MC122DR Bottom MCU128D
Top one MC122DR Bottom MCU128D
Mcusta  122DR & 128D 008.JPG
Mcusta  122DR & 128D 006.JPG
Mcusta  122DR & 128D 005.JPG
Mcusta  122DR & 128D 007.JPG
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

It was hard to pick a favorite from these two....just for fun. But finally settled on the Iron wood. Both great looking knives. Obvious quality.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Quick Steel wrote:It was hard to pick a favorite from these two....just for fun. But finally settled on the Iron wood. Both great looking knives. Obvious quality.

QS, I agree. It’s hard to find any wood that beats Ironwood.
Gary, there’s going to be someone we both know who will go Gaga over those two. Both are very nice. Very nice indeed.
SSk
Cletus Awreetus

Post by Cletus Awreetus »

QS, I agree. It’s hard to find any wood that beats Ironwood.
Gary, there’s going to be someone we both know who will go Gaga over those two. Both are very nice. Very nice indeed.
SSk[/quote]

lol, couldn't agree more so, done-done-and done! thx guys!!!
-the problem with society today is, no one drinks from the skulls of their dead enemies anymore..-
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Cletus Awreetus wrote:QS, I agree. It’s hard to find any wood that beats Ironwood.
SSk

lol, couldn't agree more so, done-done-and done! thx guys!!![/quote]

You’re welcome Steve. Gary Kennedy at Kennedyknives is the man.
SSk

Return to “Japanese-made knives”