The Mini TrapPER DIEM -- Your Daily Mini Trapper

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: The Mini TrapPER DIEM -- Your Daily Mini Trapper

Post by royal0014 »

QTCut5 wrote: Based on the price I paid for this one, I have to believe it's another Pacific Rim product. ~Q~
I am surprised your OCD has not confirmed, beyond all shadow of doubt, that Schrade has Asian blood.
Perhaps the monkey is loosening its grip . . . .
:lol:
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

royal0014 wrote:
QTCut5 wrote: Based on the price I paid for this one, I have to believe it's another Pacific Rim product. ~Q~
I am surprised your OCD has not confirmed, beyond all shadow of doubt, that Schrade has Asian blood.
Perhaps the monkey is loosening its grip . . . .
:lol:
There's not much doubt about the Asian origin of that Schrade--after all, are there any modern Schrade-stamped knives that are not made overseas these days?

As for the OCD Monkey losing his grip...all I can tell you is that you have to be constantly vigilant and on guard whenever that devious little beastie is anywhere around. Just when you think you've got him figured out or under control, he always comes up with something totally unexpected to blindside you and make your head spin in befuddled confusion. I strongly suspect jerryd is acting as his attorney and secretly feeding him advice, because the Monkey's not smart enough to be doing all this crazy stuff on his own, Although he plays it down and tries to portray himself as just another "good ol' boy from Illinois," we've all seen just how devilishly clever jerryd really is...Forest Products Week, indeed! (Who else has ever heard about that or knew it even existed?) ::sneaky::

~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

QTCut5 wrote:There's not much doubt about the Asian origin of that Schrade--after all, are there any modern Schrade-stamped knives that are not made overseas these days?
None that I'm aware of short of the GEC-made trappers (and I believe a fixed-blade) of about a decade ago.

A warning for the thread: This one is NOT "mini" in any way. :lol:
Attachments
40797903014_e5ef86c00d_k.jpg
26640797107_d770a88999_k.jpg
41470029602_8fa16cd4f6_k.jpg
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Cool knife, Tony...always good to see something a little different to give some perspective. Thanks for posting it.

Also, in case you haven't noticed by now, we're pretty lax with the "rules" here on The Mini TrapPER DIEM thread (our resident Monkey attorney has a knack for finding legal loopholes to allow showing almost anything and for amending the current rules to accommodate just about anything that can remotely qualify).

~Q~

~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

DAY 48

While we're on the subject of Schrade knives...

My Mini TrapPER DIEM entry for today is this Schrade 94OT measuring 3 7/8", which is right at the top of the accepted Mini Trapper range. The handle is Desert Ironwood, and as WOOD handles go, it's got a lot of character. Although it's undoubtedly of Asian origin, it's a well-made knife with smooth walk and snappy talk...I totally dig it, man.
PA110033.JPG
PA110042.JPG
PA110036.JPG
PA110039.JPG
~Q~

~Q~
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Pretty scales wherever it's from. ::tu::
loizzojv

Post by loizzojv »

I love the look of that desert ironwood. That is sharp!
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

DAY 49

Well, we've come to the end of yet another week (WEEK #7) here at the Mini TrapPER DIEM which means today's offering is the final one of the week's theme: WOOD handled Mini Trappers. For reasons which may or may not seem obvious, I debated long and hard whether or not to include this one in the line up at all. But, in the end, the fact that it's the only knife in my collection from Pakistan swung the vote in its favor since I wanted this thread to include examples of Mini Trappers of ALL persuasions (brands, origins, materials, etc.).

I don't know what type of steel the blades are ("surgical steel" according to the tang stamp) nor the type of wood the handle is made of. I honestly can't even say I find it particularly attractive. When you see it, you might even think that maybe I was saving the best for "laughs"; but, I assure you that is not the case. Although this Pakistan made knife isn't much to look at, it is surprisingly solid and well constructed. It's the type of knife that you could throw in your tool box and not have to worry about getting broken or damaged as it banged around with the other tools. And if you had no other option, I have no doubt that this chunky little Mini T could dress out any type of game you needed it to, both big and small.
PA160003.JPG
PA160004.JPG
P9060020.JPG
PA160002.JPG
P9060021.JPG
~Q~

NEXT WEEK'S THEME: Mini Trappers with Wharncliffe Blades.

Oh, and BTW...the answer to the OCD Mini Trapper Monkey's riddle from this week is "The Number 7" (This was the seventh week of this thread, wood handled Case knives are identified by the number 7 in the pattern number, and, of course, as everybody knows, the Chinese consider 7 to be a lucky or auspicious number--see, now that wasn't so hard, was it!) ::undecided:: :roll:

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

QTCut5 wrote:DAY 49
Oh, and BTW...the answer to the OCD Mini Trapper Monkey's riddle from this week is "The Number 7" (This was the seventh week of this thread, wood handled Case knives are identified by the number 7 in the pattern number, and, of course, as everybody knows, the Chinese consider 7 to be a lucky or auspicious number--see, now that wasn't so hard, was it!) ::undecided:: :roll:
Well, whoda thunk it?
Attachments

[The extension gif has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

And whoda thunk ~Q~ would have sent such a generous gift for coming up with that line of malarkey about wood week. I'm not giving it back buddy but neither do I deserve it. Much appreciation for a fine addition to my Mini-Trapper pile. It's a fine, fine knife folks.
Attachments
1977 Queen Mini-Trapper - Open Mark.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
loizzojv

Post by loizzojv »

Wow , that is a sharp knife. And Q, I'm feeling a little sheepish for how far off the trail I was with that riddle. Talk about not seeing the forest through the trees!
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

loizzojv wrote:I'm feeling a little sheepish for how far off the trail I was with that riddle. Talk about not seeing the forest through the trees!
Joe: actually, you were hot on the correct trail when you connected WOOD and (specifically) CASE knives...I'm confident that you would have figured it out if you'd just had a little more time.

jerryd: I'm still in awe of your "National Forest Products Week" answer...that was nothing short of sheer brilliance and made the "real" answer seem totally lame by comparison. I wish I had thought of that myself. Apparently, I'm going to have to dig deeper to come up with something for the next contest...although, truth be told, considering all the answers that have been proffered to the OCD Mini Trapper Monkey's silly little contests so far, I have to admit I'm way out of my league when it comes to cleverness and knife knowledge (I'm still shaking my head in awe at Tom's (bestgear) guess in the Color Wheel theme contest. In hindsight, at the very least, he probably should have received an Honorable Mention as well for that amazing display of knife knowledge.)

Anyway, next week's theme (starting tomorrow, DAY 50) on the Mini TrapPER DIEM thread is Mini Trappers with Wharncliffe Blades. I know there are a lot of members who have those, so I'm expecting to see a lot of postings as well as MSMD Amendment postings which should make it a very interesting week (although, at the same time, I expect it will also be OCD Mini Trapper Monkey's worst nightmare trying to keep track of them all.)

And, since Halloween happens to fall during the week after that, the theme for the final week of October will be Black & Orange Mini Trappers. I'm giving everyone a two-week theme heads up notice so you can plan which knives to show during which weeks, since one of the rules is NO REPEATING A KNIFE ONCE IT'S BEEN SHOWN...so, you'll have to plan accordingly.

Of course, as always, everyone should feel completely free to show ANY Mini Trapper at ANY time, regardless of whether or not it fits the particular theme of the week. All Mini Trapper postings are strongly encouraged and highly appreciated.

~Q~

~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

DAY 50

I think I'll get Wharncliffe Week off to a running start with this fine Bone Stag Limited Edition 6.5207W with fancy lettering two-color blade etch and Job Case bolster etch...one of my all-time favorite Mini Trappers.
2015 Case 6.5207W Bone Stag Mini Trapper
2015 Case 6.5207W Bone Stag Mini Trapper
P8270010.JPG
~Q~

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I am not normally a huge fan of blade etches but that is a beaut.

But today's Saturday. On who's calendar does the week start on Saturday. Oh yeah!! That's right. On ~Q~'s calendar. ::uc:: :lol: :mrgreen: ::shrug::

Since it's your thread, I'll play along.
Attachments
W - Case 2005 Mini-Trapper 6207W SS Salmon Bone - Labeled.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

The only reason the Mini TrapPER DIEM week starts on Saturday is because when the OCD Mini Trapper Monkey started this thread (Sept. 1) it was a Saturday and he wanted the consecutive day numbers to correspond to the date. I don't know what he's going to do at the end of this month/start of November when the daily numbers get off by one day thanks to October having 31 days. OCD is a fickle mistress.

Anyway...I like your Salmon Bone 07W, jerryd, but I was hoping you wouldn't post that one until the one I've got coming in the mail had arrived so I could invoke the MSMD Amendment and show mine at the same time. Maybe the OCD Mini Trapper Monkey will allow the Monkey See, Monkey Do Amendment to be employed retroactively (or, add "retroactive postings" as an addendum to the amendment).

~Q~

~Q~
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

DSC05819.JPG
How about a MT and Friends??!! :lol:
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Wow, John...that little yella fella sure is popular; just look at all his cool friends! What I really like about that photo is the perspective it provides regarding the size of a Mini Trapper. When shown alone (as most of our Mini Ts are), it's not as obvious why a Mini Trapper is called just that: Mini.

~Q~

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

QTCut5 wrote:Anyway...I like your Salmon Bone 07W, jerryd, but I was hoping you wouldn't post that one until the one I've got coming in the mail had arrived so I could invoke the MSMD Amendment and show mine at the same time. Maybe the OCD Mini Trapper Monkey will allow the Monkey See, Monkey Do Amendment to be employed retroactively (or, add "retroactive postings" as an addendum to the amendment).

~Q~
Well for pity's sake ~Q~. You gots to tell me these things. I'm not a mind reader. That's one of the reasons I had two failed marriages. :mrgreen:
You can still do the retroactive thing. Ain't nobody going to kick up a fuss. ('Ceptin maybe that monkey on your back.)
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

While GEC wouldn't refer to this as a "mini-trapper" the 48 frame is at the top end of the 3 7/8" limit.
44728177724_4ec5294c0c_k.jpg
And here's my favorite Case 6207W.
29896552003_86a4d51742_k.jpg
Happy Wharncliffe Week!
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Tony, if I could afford it, I'd buy every one of those GEC 48's. The 48 is right up there at the top of my list of favorite patterns. You just gave me leave to change it up a little tomorrow.

And that Case put the 'S' in Select. Another word for that is Super Fine. Oh! I guess that's two words. Oh well.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
loizzojv

Post by loizzojv »

I received my consolation prize in the mail today. All thanks to Q! Here it is, a curly maple mini trapper.
Attachments
20181020_153307.jpg
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

jerryd6818 wrote:Tony, if I could afford it, I'd buy every one of those GEC 48's. The 48 is right up there at the top of my list of favorite patterns. You just gave me leave to change it up a little tomorrow.

And that Case put the 'S' in Select. Another word for that is Super Fine. Oh! I guess that's two words. Oh well.
I was wondering how long it would be until someone posted a GEC 48 here since technically it does fall within the accepted range for Mini Trapper status. That's a super smooth #48, Tony, very nice! Now we'll see if you've opened up a floodgate that will bring on a tsunami of GEC 48 postings (which would be fine with me, BTW). ::tu::

As for that Bermuda Green Case Select...I agree with jerryd on his assessment; the Select series knives really are Sweet. I think the thing that really sets them apart from normal Case knives is the Nickel Silver liners. For some reason that little detail gives them just a touch more class than the brass liner knives (just like Dr. Seuss' Star-Bellied Sneeches!)
P2240003.JPG
P2240004.JPG
~Q~

~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

loizzojv wrote:I received my consolation prize in the mail today. All thanks to Q! Here it is, a curly maple mini trapper.
Welcome to the Mini Trapper Tribe, Joe...good to have ya. ::nod::

Now that I've started you on the road to addiction, I can't wait to see your next Mini T.

(And thanks for being a good sport...I realize that OCD Mini Trapper Monkey ain't always the easiest fellow to get along with!)

~Q~

~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

DAY 51

SUNDAY, the one day of the week in which you feel that maybe you ought to brush your teeth (whether they need it or not), brush your hair (if you have any left to brush), and change your underwear. (Just kidding about changing underwear, of course...after all, this is Hawaii, who wears underwear?! ::uc:: :shock: ). I guess I'm somewhat ambivalent about Sundays since it was drummed into me since childhood that Sundays were supposed to be a "special" day reserved for getting all gussied up and going to church and reading the Bible...neither of which made much sense to me at the time. In fact, I actually came to dread the arrival of Sunday because it signaled the end of the weekend and the end of my freedom to dress and do as I pleased.

But, there's a lot to be said for resting from your daily labors and devoting one day per week to spiritual matters...whether you choose to do so at a church with other like-minded believers or someplace else, such as out in nature all by yourself surrounded by the beauty of earthly creation, probably doesn't matter any more than what clothes you choose to wear while doing it, i.e., the worship is more important than the wardrobe, so-to-speak.

Nevertheless, old habits die hard, so for today's Mini TrapPER DIEM I chose this Case 6107WEZ because, while the fancy scrolled bolsters represent sartorial finery, i.e., dressed in its "Sunday best", this Mini T is also fully prepared to have a laid back, take-it-easy, relaxing day of rest with the EZ open cut out, so you won't have to work as hard to open the blade! Seems like the perfect Sunday combination...Win/Win! That's what we like to see. :D :D
2014 Case 6107WEZ Second Cut Antique Bone EZ Open Wharncliffe Mini Trapper
2014 Case 6107WEZ Second Cut Antique Bone EZ Open Wharncliffe Mini Trapper
P8270004.JPG
~Q~

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I like the artwork on the bolsters.

I'm going with this today. I believe the handles are called Rattlesnake.
Attachments
Case 2014 6207WSS Mini Trapper - Open Mark Labeled.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “General Knife Discussion”