The Mini TrapPER DIEM -- Your Daily Mini Trapper

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: The Mini TrapPER DIEM -- Your Daily Mini Trapper

Post by jerryd6818 »

Papa Bones wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:21 am I finally picked up my first 07W. I'm gonna blame Q & Jerry for flinging a cravin' on me. ::super_happy::

A 2020 6.5207w
Case 6.5207w.png
Case 6.5207w_2.png
You coulda done a whole lot worse than that. They're fine to look at, the prices are reasonable and there are plenty of them out there. ::tu:: Welcome to the addiction.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:25 am
Papa Bones wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:21 am I finally picked up my first 07W. I'm gonna blame Q & Jerry for flinging a cravin' on me. ::super_happy::

A 2020 6.5207w
Case 6.5207w.png
Case 6.5207w_2.png
You coulda done a whole lot worse than that. They're fine to look at, the prices are reasonable and there are plenty of them out there. ::tu:: Welcome to the addiction.
Appreciate it. ::tu:: I feel well pleased with this one. I happen to find a seller that had this one, new in the box for $49 & free shipping. I had $10 dollars in Ebay bucks that was going to run out, so I used it on this. So my out of pocked was only $39 plus the tax they add. So I feel good about it. Mini Trappers are a good carry size.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Papa Bones wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:34 am
jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:25 am

A 2020 6.5207w
Case 6.5207w.png
Case 6.5207w_2.png
Appreciate it. ::tu:: I feel well pleased with this one. I happen to find a seller that had this one, new in the box for $49 & free shipping. I had $10 dollars in Ebay bucks that was going to run out, so I used it on this. So my out of pocked was only $39 plus the tax they add. So I feel good about it. Mini Trappers are a good carry size.
What's this eBay Bucks you speak of and how do you accrue them?
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:52 am
What's this eBay Bucks you speak of and how do you accrue them?
If you are a ebay member, you can sign up, and each item you buy, a small percentage goes to your ebay bucks page. If I remember correctly, it's over a three month period. Some items don't qualify. After the three months they will send you your total, and a code to use on a purchase.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/paying ... =lucenceai

https://my.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?RewardsExtEnroll

I am in no way endorsing this program, and have no affiliation with the program other than having a ebay members account.

Smitty
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

A 2020 6.5207w
Oh Smitty...you got a super nice one, oh yes indeedy! ::drool:: I might have to consider getting myself a 6.5 Bone Stag 07W with a 2020 date stamp. I'm green with envy :mrgreen:

BTW...unlike jerryd (who always tries to deny accountability for spreading the 07 virus), I am happy to accept the blame for infecting...um...er...I mean sharing as much Mini-T love as far and as wide as I possibly can. So glad you caught the bug. :lol: ::handshake::

I think these two might need a new brother with the 2020 date stamp.

P8050362.JPG
PB020003.JPG
~Q~
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

QTCut5 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:26 am

A 2020 6.5207w
Oh Smitty...you got a super nice one, oh yes indeedy! ::drool:: I might have to consider getting myself a 6.5 Bone Stag 07W with a 2020 date stamp. I'm green with envy :mrgreen:

BTW...unlike jerryd (who always tries to deny accountability for spreading the 07 virus), I am happy to accept the blame for infecting...um...er...I mean sharing as much Mini-T love as far and as wide as I possibly can. So glad you caught the bug. :lol: ::handshake::

I think these two might need a new brother with the 2020 date stamp.

P8050362.JPGPB020003.JPG
Appreciate it Q. Yep, you need to get a 2020 date 6.507W. That would make a great 4 of a kind set!! ::tu::

Smitty
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Here's a Stag Battle-Axe Brand Mini Trapper. The blades have a bear trap snap which is nice, but I'm just not all that thrilled with the super thick stag handle. It's a nice little knife, solid and well built, but I don't expect it'll end up in my permanent collection...just passing through for a brief sojourn as it seeks a home with a more appreciative collector, I reckon.

P7150009.JPG
P7150013.JPG
P7150015.JPG
P7150010.JPG
P7150014.JPG
P7150016.JPG

Here it is compared to my other Stag Battle-Axe Brand Mini-T so you can see how thick it is
P7150026.JPG
~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I'm not familiar with the Battle-Axe brand. Is there any history you can provide? Maker? Etc?
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I'm pretty sure (97.5%) that Battle-Axe Brand was made by Queen (IIRC, someone on AAPK told me this several years ago after I got my first Battle-Axe Brand knife) but I don't know exactly when--I would guess it's a relatively modern era production, though (post 1980 but definitely pre DFC). It certainly looks and feels an awful lot like my Queen #9155 Mini-Ts from the "Master Cutler" and "Queen's Own" collections so I'm inclined to believe it's likely from roughly the same time period. Sorry I can't provide more specific information. I'll work on getting some side-by-side pics for comparison and also try to narrow down the approximate year(s) of manufacture (at least it'll give OCD Monkey something to focus on while in quarantine).
~Q~
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

A 2020 6.5207w
Case 6.5207w.png
Case 6.5207w_2.png
::tu:: 8) ::tu:: ::groove::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

QTCut5 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:20 am I'm pretty sure (97.5%) that Battle-Axe Brand was made by Queen (IIRC, someone on AAPK told me this several years ago after I got my first Battle-Axe Brand knife) but I don't know exactly when--I would guess it's a relatively modern era production, though (post 1980 but definitely pre DFC). It certainly looks and feels an awful lot like my Queen #9155 Mini-Ts from the "Master Cutler" and "Queen's Own" collections so I'm inclined to believe it's likely from roughly the same time period. Sorry I can't provide more specific information. I'll work on getting some side-by-side pics for comparison and also try to narrow down the approximate year(s) of manufacture (at least it'll give OCD Monkey something to focus on while in quarantine).
Thanks ~Q~. If you ever decide to dump one of them, I'd like to have a shot at it (depending entirely on finances at the time). I'm not opposed to fat stag, just to - uh you can guess. I seldom think about it but I started out with the vague idea of being a tang stamp collector and that's still in the back of my mind when I see something I don't have or have never seen before.

Pickin's getting kinda lean? Re: buying a second 6.5207W just because you don't have one made in the new decade. :lol: :lol:
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

QTCut5 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:20 am I'm pretty sure (97.5%) that Battle-Axe Brand was made by Queen (IIRC, someone on AAPK told me this several years ago after I got my first Battle-Axe Brand knife) but I don't know exactly when--I would guess it's a relatively modern era production, though (post 1980 but definitely pre DFC). It certainly looks and feels an awful lot like my Queen #9155 Mini-Ts from the "Master Cutler" and "Queen's Own" collections so I'm inclined to believe it's likely from roughly the same time period. Sorry I can't provide more specific information. I'll work on getting some side-by-side pics for comparison and also try to narrow down the approximate year(s) of manufacture (at least it'll give OCD Monkey something to focus on while in quarantine).
Very nice handles and a beautiful knife Q.

This is what I have in my notes on Battle Axe Brands. There was a thread here on AAPK, and also this info came from another knife forum I used to visit.

"There were two different eras and Companies that produced Battle Axe Brand Knives.
The older Battle Axe Cutlery co. were either made for or by A.R. Justice, (Alfred Rudolph Justice), a Philadelphia hardware wholesaler circa 1877-1937, who turned to cutlery and silver plating. You can find examples of pocket knives as well as tableware with the Battle Axe stamp.

The newer Battle Axe Brand, circa 1975-1990 was used by a group of men whose speciality was importing & selling good quality commemorative knives and a few production knives. These were small batch limited edition knives and usually serialized. They would produce the design, and had a factory in Solingen, Germany manufactured them. They are thought to have been made by the Frederich Olbertz factory in Solingen. (note: I never found confirmation of this) The knives used 1095 carbon steel and good quality handle materials.
Apparently, different members of the group designed & bought different knives, hence the many different collaborations of names on the knives.
J.W. Hickey of Winston-Salem NC, Hickey & T. Shouse of Winston-Salem, and George Smith of Hardin Wholesale who later became a partner in Blue Grass Cutlery. Brands were Battle Axe with House & Hardin, some with a secondary stamp of Hickey & Shouse "

That's what I have. If anyone else has some information that is confirmed, I would like to add it.

Smitty
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Papa Bones wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:12 pm This is what I have in my notes on Battle Axe Brands. There was a thread here on AAPK, and also this info came from another knife forum I used to visit.
Papa Bones to the rescue! Thanks for the info, Smitty.

The Blue Grass Cutlery connection makes a lot of sense (don't they also make the John Primble knives too?)

Here are some other knives from my collection that I thought might be "related" to the Battle-Axe Brand. In a side-by-side comparison minor differences can be seen which otherwise might go unnoticed such as blade curvature, bolster style & length, etc. (Due to camera angle and knife placement some of the differences are difficult to distinguish in photos.)

P7160005.JPG
P7160003.JPG
P7160004.JPG
~Q~
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

QTCut5 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:25 am
Papa Bones wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:12 pm This is what I have in my notes on Battle Axe Brands. There was a thread here on AAPK, and also this info came from another knife forum I used to visit.
Papa Bones to the rescue! Thanks for the info, Smitty.

The Blue Grass Cutlery connection makes a lot of sense (don't they also make the John Primble knives too?)

Here are some other knives from my collection that I thought might be "related" to the Battle-Axe Brand. In a side-by-side comparison minor differences can be seen which otherwise might go unnoticed such as blade curvature, bolster style & length, etc. (Due to camera angle and knife placement some of the differences are difficult to distinguish in photos.)

P7160005.JPGP7160003.JPGP7160004.JPG
Yep, Blue Grass Cutlery still advertises John Primble Knives. It seems in the photo there are also very slight difference in how the break of the spines to the swedge area above the nail pulls is finished also. Beautiful collection Q.

Smitty
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

~Q~, those are wonderful. ::tu::

This came in today's mail from Steve Warden. She's a beauty and I'm glad to have her.
Case 2013 Mini-Trapper 6207 SS Red Bone - Case Collectors Club - Labeled.JPG
Case 2013 Mini-Trapper 6207 SS Red Bone - Case Collectors Club - Shield.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

jerryd6818 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:45 pm This came in today's mail from Steve Warden. She's a beauty and I'm glad to have her.
Case 2013 Mini-Trapper 6207 SS Red Bone - Case Collectors Club - Labeled.JPG
Case 2013 Mini-Trapper 6207 SS Red Bone - Case Collectors Club - Shield.JPG
That's a beautiful deep red. A Beaut for sure.Congrats and Good on Steve!!

Smitty
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Well, it was a trade and I appreciate him letting it go.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

And then on the other end of the stick. Today's arrival.
Attachments
Rough Rider RR2101 VG10 Mini-Trapper - Labeled.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:45 pm This came in today's mail from Steve Warden. She's a beauty and I'm glad to have her.
Excellent swap acquisition, jerryd...especially considering your (self-declared) aversion to knife swapping in general. The gorgeous deep red bone on the 2013 CCC Mini-T is very similar to the Tested Red color that I love so much. I'm so glad you showed yours; it reminded me that I had one stashed away with my other Collectors Club 07s.

P7220001.JPG
~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:52 pm And then on the other end of the stick. Today's arrival.
Although I'm not a fan of Rough Rider, I am a fan of minimalism in design as well as VG-10 steel (which I did not know RR used on any of their products) so that one really captures my interest on several levels ::nod:: I like it. ::tu::

What is the handle material?

EDIT: Found it - Aluminum. (Ordered it!)
~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

~Q~, you have to admit that CCC '07 is one fine looking piece of cutlery.

The VG-10 holds up it's end of the bargain. To me, it's attractive and I discovered the handles are anodized aluminum with a thin layer of black synthetic bonded to the aluminum. The half stops are positive, the snap is good and the blades are sharp right out of the box. It's a well made piece of cutlery. I don't think you'll be disappointed, especially at that price point.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

thumbnail_20200723_152319.jpg
thumbnail_20200723_152222.jpg
Not my regular thing lately but a good old piece anyway
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Mighty fine Bryan. Mighty fine. It's the handles that catch my eye. (Well, and the Wharncliffe blade.)
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Okay , can’t resist anymore, now gotta get a 2020 stamped 07w w/ bone. Most of my stuff is older but that Warncliffe blade and ( and the rest of the knife) trips my knife trigger.And going to blame it on Jerry D ,as I’ve read he’s to blame and Papa B for it.Just kidding, its a very nice pc. Of Cutlery. Any suggestions as to who here is a good source to buy from would be great.Not real knowledgeable of Case products, the newer stuff anyways . Thanks Folks, be safe out there, JP
JP
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

O,forgot to blame Q as well for infecting me with this 07W thing . Q , Papa B and Jerryd ,nice knives thanks for showing them and sharing the info about em. JP
JP

Return to “General Knife Discussion”