The Mini TrapPER DIEM -- Your Daily Mini Trapper

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: The Mini TrapPER DIEM -- Your Daily Mini Trapper

Post by QTCut5 »

Looks like the Mini Trapper acquisitions have slowed down a bit over the past 4 months or so, especially the OTC Mini-Ts (Other Than Case). To be honest, I wasn't actually planning on buying this one but that didn't stop Mini-T Monkey from putting in a lowball bid just for kicks & giggles. As luck would have it, my absurdly low bid ended up winning the auction :shock:. Now that I have it in hand, I'm glad I did; it's a well-made knife in the old tradition that made Queen famous and Queen knives highly sought after, once-upon-a-time. This one was made for the National Knife Collectors Association and bears the NKCA shield. It was the NKCA Youth Knife for 1999--the year we were supposed to really party down according to the artist formerly known as Prince (may he RIP). If a Mini-T absolutely has to have more than one blade, I'm more partial to a Wharncliffe secondary, but the small pen blade runs a close second. Gator snap on both blades and original factory edges indicate this knife is new, never used. :mrgreen:

1999 Queen NKCA Youth Knife Moss Green Jigged Bone Mini Trapper
Attachments
P8170005.JPG
P8170010.JPG
P8170014.JPG
P8170012.JPG
P8170015.JPG
P8170009.JPG
P8170013.JPG
P8170006.JPG
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

You latched on to a winner there ~Q~ (but then you already knew that).
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

I like the shield Q, and the green bone about the color of nice jade. Very cool little knife and congrats on getting it for less than you thought. When was the last time that happened? Been a while. Good score and beauty of a knife.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by tvic »

GOOD looking knife, Q!

This was a gift. Love the Caribbean blue.
Attachments
1D1D8EEE-B001-4FFB-AF1C-E2C680555BDD.jpeg
Tim
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.” - Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

That is a beauty Tim.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

tvic wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:34 pm GOOD looking knife, Q!

This was a gift. Love the Caribbean blue.
Nice to know people who gift cool knives. You must be loved. Great looking blue. Congrats.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Nice one, Tim. I really like blue-handled knives, especially Mini Trappers. ::tu:: 8) ::tu::

~Q~
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by tvic »

Thanks, QS, Iman and QT!
Tim
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.” - Ronald Reagan
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Somehow another China made knife managed to sneak into my Mini-T collection ::paranoid::. I bought this one because I was intrigued by the handle; seller called it "Bark Pearl" (Bark not Black, as it's obviously not Black Pearl) and said he thought it was "probably oyster" but it seems too thick to be any shell type material to me. In fact, I think it looks and feels an awful lot like Mammoth Ivory. Even the cracks look typical of ivory. I don't know if there is any way to find out all the different handle materials Rough Rider used (note: this one is a Rider--not Ryder--which, if I'm not mistaken, means it's an early model), but just based on my own experience I really don't think this is shell. Also interesting that there are no pins showing.

Any thoughts? ::hmm::

Well, despite its ignominious origin, lack of visible pins and indeterminate handle material, I still like it. ::nod::
Attachments
P9280004.JPG
P9280006.JPG
P9280007.JPG
P9280011.JPG
P9280013.JPG

~Q~
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

QTCut5 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:49 am Somehow another China made knife managed to sneak into my Mini-T collection ::paranoid::. I bought this one because I was intrigued by the handle; seller called it "Bark Pearl" (Bark not Black, as it's obviously not Black Pearl) and said he thought it was "probably oyster" but it seems too thick to be any shell type material to me. In fact, I think it looks and feels an awful lot like Mammoth Ivory. Even the cracks look typical of ivory. I don't know if there is any way to find out all the different handle materials Rough Rider used (note: this one is a Rider--not Ryder--which, if I'm not mistaken, means it's an early model), but just based on my own experience I really don't think this is shell. Also interesting that there are no pins showing.

Any thoughts? ::hmm::

Well, despite its ignominious origin, lack of visible pins and indeterminate handle material, I still like it. ::nod::

Great looking knife Q, very much like M ivory. And when I saw the difference in thickness from one side of the scales to the next, I wondered if someone just took off the factory scales and put ivory on it? Looks pretty much like authentic Mammoth. Reminds me of Boones Trading company putting ivory on Frost and R Rider knives years ago. Like this one. No visible pins too. Looks very familiar.
Attachments
Mammoth_Ivory_Handled_Folding_Knife_21 (1).jpg
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

It does look to me like it has been rehandled. I cannot tell what the handle material is, but it does not look original in any way.
I hope for your sake that it IS mammoth!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Here's a Mini Trapper with a tang stamp I'd never seen or heard of before (anyone know anything about Clark Cut, Salem, IND?). The handle looks to be the poor man's attempt to copy Queen's famous Amber Carved Stag Bone (ACSB), and the build quality feels very much like Bear MGC (note the only visible pin is the rocker pin).
Attachments
PA130002.JPG
PA130005.JPG
PA130007.JPG
PA130006.JPG
PA130003.JPG
PA130010.JPG
PA130011.JPG

~Q~
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Yup, looks like B&S to me ....
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Clark Cutlery
215 E Oak Dr
Salem, IN 47167
Title: Owner
Phone: (812) 883-3232

Business Description
Clark Cutlery is located in Salem, Indiana. This organization primarily operates in the Cutlery business / industry within the Wholesale Trade - Durable Goods sector. This organization has been operating for approximately 40 years. Clark Cutlery is estimated to generate $95,000 in annual revenues, and employs approximately 2 people at this single location.

Salem, Indiana is a short drive a little N/W of Louisville, KY.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Mahalo, jerryd, for doing the research for (too-lazy) me! I really could have used you & your research skills (aka: Google) when I had to write all those research papers in college! ::nod::

Here's my Mini TrapPER DIEM for today: This sweet little beauty is one of Ken Daniels' Cozy Glen Classic Knives made under the Queen City brand name before Ken went on to co-found Great Eastern Cutlery with Bill Howard. As Mini-Ts go, IMHO, the quality of the Queen City Cozy Glen Classic Mini Trappers is closer to GEC knives than to my beloved Case 07 Mini Trappers. Although the run-up of this particular knife has a noticeable "drop" where the end of the back spring meets the end of the blade tangs (like maybe 1/32" or so); not perfectly flush as it should be. Nevertheless, both blades have a nice crisp opening and closing snap with no blade play when open. Both blades are also properly centered so it has no rub when blades are closed. Other than the minor run-up issue, the fit and finish is excellent with nice smooth transitions from covers to bolsters. I am especially fond of the Amber "Indian Trail" Jigged Bone (or single worm groove, if you prefer) and, of course, the pinned acorn shield. When I bought this knife, I was told by the seller that only 65 of this 51T pattern were made, but I don't know if that is the total number of Mini Trappers or just the ones with this type of handle. I'm sure someone can answer that, but since I am too lazy to do the research myself, I'll leave that question for someone else who is more research-minded & motivated.

Queen City Cozy Glen Classic Knives #51T Amber "Indian Trail" Jigged Bone
PB150004.JPG
PB150006.JPG
PB150007.JPG
PB150005.JPG

~Q~
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Those bones are beauties, great color. Like the Acorn too, and good to hear the quality is good. Congrats, sweet knife.
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I picked up two mini trappers yesterday at the Bear and Son Factory Sale. I bought 18 knives, and 17 of them were factory seconds that I felt I could easily repair.
92E469C5-14C3-47E7-84F0-214679BE1C88.jpeg

At 3", the yellow "Bear and Son" model C354 1/2 is a tiny little thing, but a solid knife. The spey blade was lazy, but only needed to be cleaned and oiled.

The 3-1/2" with Rosewood handles are stamped "Mt Ida Arkansas", but appear identical to their 207R model mini trapper. The main is not quite centered in the blade well, but doesn't rub.

I don't typically carry Trappers, but wound up buying several yesterday. I have been coon-fingering knives since I got home, and I don't regret a single knife that I purchased yesterday!
Jesus is life.

~Reverand
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

QTCut5 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:20 am Here's a Mini Trapper with a tang stamp I'd never seen or heard of before (anyone know anything about Clark Cut, Salem, IND?). The handle looks to be the poor man's attempt to copy Queen's famous Amber Carved Stag Bone (ACSB), and the build quality feels very much like Bear MGC (note the only visible pin is the rocker pin).
Yes, QTCut5, that is definitely made by Bear and Son. I saw a few of those knives at the sale yesterday. I bought two Stockman knives (a 3-blade and a 5-blade) that have those same bone handles. I love the color on these handles, but I do wish that they had typical pins.
Jesus is life.

~Reverand
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Reverand wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:19 am The 3-1/2" with Rosewood handles are stamped "Mt Ida Arkansas", but appear identical to their 207R model mini trapper.
That's a good looking "Mt. Ida" Mini-T, Rev ::nod::. I admit it took me a while to warm up to wood handles on Mini Trappers, but now I love wood and that Rosewood has excellent grain & color. Good scores!

And, thanks for confirming the maker of my Clark Cut Mini-T...always nice to know what you have. ::tu::

~Q~
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Reverand wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:19 am I picked up two mini trappers yesterday at the Bear and Son Factory Sale. I bought 18 knives, and 17 of them were factory seconds that I felt I could easily repair.
92E469C5-14C3-47E7-84F0-214679BE1C88.jpeg

At 3", the yellow "Bear and Son" model C354 1/2 is a tiny little thing, but a solid knife. The spey blade was lazy, but only needed to be cleaned and oiled.

The 3-1/2" with Rosewood handles are stamped "Mt Ida Arkansas", but appear identical to their 207R model mini trapper. The main is not quite centered in the blade well, but doesn't rub.

I don't typically carry Trappers, but wound up buying several yesterday. I have been coon-fingering knives since I got home, and I don't regret a single knife that I purchased yesterday!
You got a haul Reverand.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Speaking of wood handles...

My Mini TrapPER DIEM for today, the first day of the last month of 2022, is this unused 2002-2017 Queen #51T --which is somewhere between 5 and 20 years old but looks & feels brand new. The handle is wood (not sure if it's Cocobolo or Zebra wood, I think Zebra).

PC010002.JPG
PC010004.JPG
PC010005.JPG
PC010003.JPG

~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Already posted this'un in the 07 thread, but seeing as it is a Mini Trapper, I figured it fits in this thread as well.

2007 Case I207 Mammoth Ivory
P1110030.JPG
P1110022.JPG
P1110018.JPG

~Q~
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

QTCut5 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:20 am Already posted this'un in the 07 thread, but seeing as it is a Mini Trapper, I figured it fits in this thread as well.

P1110030.JPGP1110022.JPGP1110018.JPG

Duuuuuude, I don't know how you're ever gonna find another Mini T that's prettier than that one. Woooooooooooe. Good post.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

QTCut5 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:20 am Already posted this'un in the 07 thread, but seeing as it is a Mini Trapper, I figured it fits in this thread as well.

P1110030.JPGP1110022.JPGP1110018.JPG
Q, when I see that I always think "that old mastodon is still smiling"!. Lovely. ::nod::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Been a while since I've posted anything in the PER DIEM thread. This one hit my mailbox yesterday & I got some pictures taken this morning so I'm ready tor the Mini TrapPER DIEM. Whadda ya'll think? Honest opinions only.
Attachments
W+ - Case 2023 Mini Trapper BH207W S35VN Buffalo Horn - Tang Stamp.JPG
W+ - Case 2023 Mini Trapper BH207W S35VN Buffalo Horn - Labeled.JPG
W+ - Case 2023 Mini Trapper BH207W S35VN Buffalo Horn - Mark Closed.JPG
W+ - Case 2023 Mini Trapper BH207W S35VN Buffalo Horn - Pattern Stamp.JPG
W+ - Case 2023 Mini Trapper BH207W S35VN Buffalo Horn - Pile Open.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “General Knife Discussion”