The Mini TrapPER DIEM -- Your Daily Mini Trapper

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

The Mini TrapPER DIEM -- Your Daily Mini Trapper

Post by QTCut5 »

DAY 1

While the Ode To the 07 thread is technically only for Case Mini Trappers (pattern number 07), there are other companies that make or have made Mini Trappers that need an appropriate place to be shown. So, this thread is open to showing ALL brands, makes and models of the Mini Trapper pattern--not just Case 07s. I am going to show a different Mini Trapper from my collection every day for as long as I can without repeating, and I invite anyone who has the same "Mini Trapper of the day" to post theirs as well.

Now, having said that, I will kick off this thread with a Case 07 (well, let's face it, they are the most common).
Since today is the first day of a new month, I felt it would be fitting to begin the thread with a 1st Issue model.

So here it is, the first Mini Trapper de jour:
1990 Case 207WHSS Jigged Red Bone 1st Issue Wharncliffe Mini Trapper
1990 Case 207WHSS Jigged Red Bone 1st Issue Wharncliffe Mini Trapper
~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
steve99f

Re: The Mini TrapPER DIEM -- Your Daily Mini Trapper

Post by steve99f »

Nice one Q, great start. Here is a Tractor Supply mini.
Attachments
DSCN0893.JPG
steve99f
Jtx
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Jtx »

.Deleted my post... did not understand the rules. Sorry.
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Really nice color on that bone Jtx!
steve99f
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Took me a minute to get the "one a day" concept. ::dang::
I'll start with an OTC (other than Case), a Pacific Rim made Hallmark.
Attachments
Hallmark HM0101-TX Mini-Trapper Labeled.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

I have no clue were it's made but it's a cool little trapper. Half stops on all three blades good fit and finish for one of them. It's the only mini trapper I own. ::woot::
Attachments
20180901_130621.jpg
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

DAY 2

Great mini trappers everyone...thanks for participating.

steve: I love the cabin shield on your Tractor Supply mini. I have one of those too which I will eventually post in this thread...would be interesting to see how many other members also have that same model--I know there are a few who posted them on the 07 thread.

jerryd: When my wife saw your Hallmark, she turned to me and said, "With all the mini trappers you have, Q, why don't you have any as pretty as that one?" At which point I turned away and mumbled something under my breath (out of hear shot, of course) like, "Of all the women I could have married, why didn't I marry a Swedish bikini model?" :lol:

bighomer: I tried to read the shield on your 3-blade mini trapper, but just couldn't make it out. I am intrigued by the grain lines in the handle, any idea what the scales are made of?

Now for today's mini trapper, I must preface it with a short story. As I was driving into town yesterday, I suddenly found myself stuck in a massive traffic jam. Apparently the brilliant planners at the DOT had decided to begin a major highway repair job on the first day of the Labor Day weekend which necessitated closing one lane of the road and alternating the traffic flow through the other lane causing one direction of traffic to have to sit and wait for its turn to use the only open lane. When I was finally able to get through the construction zone, I silently cursed the DOT for the unconscionable inconvenience they had caused me. But when I saw the men working on the road crew, toiling under the blazing sun, breaking up the old, potholed road surface and laying down hot asphalt, it occurred to me that these men were working in extremely difficult, unpleasant and even dangerous conditions in order to keep and maintain the roads I use all the time and generally take for granted and expect to always be in a state of good repair so as to allow me to get to the places I need to get to that essentially allow me to survive (stores, doctors, post office, etc.) and live the relatively comfortable life I enjoy.

On Memorial Day we honor the men and women serving in the military protecting our country, especially those who've died in service. On Labor Day we're supposed to honor the working men and women whose diligent labor keeps our great country functioning day-to-day, year after year. With that in mind, and today being the middle of the Labor Day holiday, I chose this mini trapper with the stars & stripes shield to honor the hard working American patriots who provide the manpower, knowledge, skills, leadership and muscle that makes and keeps America the greatest country on Earth.

I am just one insignificant little monkey who all too often forgets the many sacrifices, both great and small, being tirelessly performed every day that make my life easier (and possible) and which often go unrecognized and unappreciated.
P8310009.JPG
2014 Case Jigged Red Bone 6207W Wharncliffe Mini Trapper w/ American Flag Shield
2014 Case Jigged Red Bone 6207W Wharncliffe Mini Trapper w/ American Flag Shield
~Q~

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

For the Labor Day weekend, I'm going to "monkey see, monkey do" by posting the sister to ~Q~s knife but for the actual day tomorrow, I have a special one waiting in the wings.
Attachments
Case XX Wharncliffe Red Bone Mini Trapper 6207W SS - Labeled.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Q it says bear hunter usa on the shield, I thought it might be made in Pakistan, but on further examination l see China on the back side of the blade. As to the handle material I have no idea, acrylic maybe ::shrug:: here's a photo of the pile side. While looking through some knives to carry today I ran across another mini, a Frost l had forgotten about. Imagine that. There may be others.
20180902_100418.jpg
Attachments
20180902_102742.jpg
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

So I'm a little confused here. Isn't the defintion of a trapper one that has a clip master blade and a spey secondary? I see some of the knives posted as having either Wharncliffe or pen secondary blades. Are these true mini trappers? If that is the case what about a peanut pattern? Does that qualify or is it too small?
I ask these questions only because I think I have found a pattern that I do not possess! ::dang::
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

K7K

Going by the Case website, they don't make any distinction between spey, caplifter, wharnecliffe or single bladed 07's. They call them mini trappers. I understand this thread isn't just Case knives though. Seems to me to be a mini trapper it should have 2 blades and they should be a clip and a spey. Or a trapper for that matter. I have a hard time calling an early Case 07 a mini trapper when its not and wasn't called that when made. ::huff:: So there! :D
steve99f
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

steve99f wrote:K7K

Going by the Case website, they don't make any distinction between spey, caplifter, wharnecliffe or single bladed 07's. They call them mini trappers. I understand this thread isn't just Case knives though. Seems to me to be a mini trapper it should have 2 blades and they should be a clip and a spey. Or a trapper for that matter. I have a hard time calling an early Case 07 a mini trapper when its not and wasn't called that when made. ::huff:: So there! :D
Thanks for the clarification Steve. Maybe you could call a peanut a "mini-mini trapper" or perhaps a,"micro trapper" :mrgreen:
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

There seems to be a certain degree of confusion as to exactly what constitutes a "mini trapper" by definition. Part of that confusion, I believe, stems from what Steve correctly identified as the Case pattern #07 which started out being called a "dogleg jack" but then when the blade configuration changed from a clip/pen to a clip/spey combination, it was called a "mini trapper." That name seems to make sense, since a trapper (as in one who traps game) would have more use for a spey blade for skinning purposes than for a pen blade. To compound matters, Case then introduced the clip/wharncliffe blade configuration, but continued calling it a mini trapper...who knows why? and what name would be appropriate for a clip/wharncliffe dogleg jack, anyway? As much as I love the wharncliffe blade, I can't say as I've ever heard of it being associated with any specific use based on its particular geometry, such as a draw knife, a splinter picker or perhaps a letter-opening office knife?? ::shrug::

For my purposes, I just go by frame size and what the maker chooses to call it: a mini trapper is basically a dogleg frame no smaller than 3 3/8" and no larger than 3 7/8" with a single pivot, i.e., "jack", for the blade(s). Those are the dimensions that all the so-called mini trappers I own fall between...and are so identified by the maker as a mini trapper, regardless of the number or configuration of blades (I have single blade mini trappers and I have seen mini trappers with as many as five blades). But, as usual, YMMV.

~Q~

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

And just to confuse matters more an 07 was made for Carhartt that has a single Wharncliffe blade and Case calls it a Mini-Trapper. ::uc::
Attachments
Case 2013 Mini-Trapper 6107W SS - Carhartt -- Labeled.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Apparently, the number of blades is not necessarily a defining characteristic of a mini trapper...according to Case, anyway.
Case 6507 Five-Blade Mini Trapper.jpg
How any manufacturer can justify putting FIVE blades on a knife and not have a single one be a wharncliffe is incomprehensible. Seriously, a coping, a sheepfoot, TWO clips and a spey...that's the best 5-blade combination they could come up with? Not even a partridge in a pear tree? Unbelievable! (If I wanted to carry a knife that thick I'd pack a SAK any day.)

~Q~

PS -- This is not my knife so it doesn't count as one of my per diem knives for this thread!

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Special for Labor Day.
Attachments
Case 2017 Mini Trapper 6207 SS Star Spangled Banner Natural Bone - Labeled.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

DAY 3

Today being Labor Day, I am going to double down on the theme of honoring the men & women whose tireless labor keeps the nation's economic wheels turning and everything functioning smoothly. Their work brings so much pride and prosperity to our great country...the land of the free and the home of the brave.

BTW--Normally, I would only post a double knife presentation on a Tuesday ("Two-for-Tuesday), but I think I'll make an exception for the Labor Day holiday in this instance.
2002 Case 6107 Jigged Red Delrin Wharncliffe Mini Trapper w/ Stars & Stripes Shield
2002 Case 6107 Jigged Red Delrin Wharncliffe Mini Trapper w/ Stars & Stripes Shield
P8310012.JPG
~Q~

PS -- I am still baffled by the lack of a "W" in the pattern number tang stamp on both of these Wharncliffe mini trappers. That seems to be an unusual omission on a Case pattern number for a knife with a Wharncliffe blade. WHY!! :?
P9010001.JPG

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

QTCut5 wrote:I invite anyone who has the same "Mini Trapper of the day" to post theirs as well.

~Q~
I see I didn't understand the concept of the thread. ::dang:: ::dang:: ::facepalm:: Off to a rough start but I think I have it now. If you don't mind, I'm just going to let my two 'oops' ride.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

No worries, jerryd. Initially, I was thinking it might be interesting to see how many members had the same model mini trappers and this would provide an opportunity to show them all together in one place even if they had already been posted in other threads. But, that may have been too much OCD-style thinking on my part (I like things to be nicely ordered and organized). The main goal of this Mini TrapPer Diem thread is really to expand the Ode To The 07 thread to include mini trappers of ALL persuasions, not just Case mini trappers. The only caveats being that you may only add ONE mini trapper from your personal collection per day and once you've posted a particular mini trapper, you can't repeat and show it again. Hopefully that makes some degree of sense. I don't expect everyone to follow these "rules" but that's how I'm going to play the game even if I end up being the only one posting and reading the thread two or three months from now (or whenever I run out of mini trappers to post).

~Q~

~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

DAY 4

Well, the Labor Day holiday weekend is over so Summer has officially ended and it's time to put away the barbecue grill and head back to work. Perhaps a shot of this burgundy "New Grind" mini trapper (along with a shot or two of Burbon in your morning coffee to ease the hang over) will help make the transition back to the 'old grind' a bit more palatable
1983 Case 6207 Jigged Burgundy Bone "New Grind" Mini Trapper
1983 Case 6207 Jigged Burgundy Bone "New Grind" Mini Trapper
P8310019.JPG
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I really like the New Grind blade. Not only is the design much stronger from a purely mechanical engineering standpoint, but the graceful, sweeping curve adds a touch of elegance that makes the New Grind blade the perfect combination of form and function. Such a shame Case only made New Grind blades for a couple of years in the early 1980s; although maybe not such a bad thing for collectors as fewer production numbers tends to make them somewhat rare.

~Q~

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Nope. Nothing to match today. I have a sneaking suspicion most days are going to be like that. :lol:
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Don't worry about matching...just keep posting a different one each day...the variety will actually make the thread more interesting, I think.

~Q~

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

How about if I match up with Steve's Tractor Supply SFO.
Attachments
CASE 2013 Mini-Trapper 6207SS BURNT OATMEAL BONE BARN SHIELD - Labeled.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

DAY 5

OK, now we've got three-of-a-kind: Barn Shield on Burnt Oatmeal Bone.

A few more of these and we can start our very own Quaker (oats) barn (shield) settlement!
2013 Case Burnt Oatmeal Jigged Bone 6207 w/ Barn Shield
2013 Case Burnt Oatmeal Jigged Bone 6207 w/ Barn Shield
P9210003.JPG
(I'm beginning to realize that the hardest part of participating in this thread is going to be sticking to the "one mini trapper per day" rule.)

~Q~

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

~Q~ since you went to the back of the line here, who's leading the way? Just to mark time while you jockey for position, I'm going to post a non-Mini-Trapper, Mini-Trapper. An 07 with a cap lifter secondary blade.
Attachments
Case 2016 Mini-Trapper 3207 SS Yellow - Mark Open.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “General Knife Discussion”