The Mini TrapPER DIEM -- Your Daily Mini Trapper

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: The Mini TrapPER DIEM -- Your Daily Mini Trapper

Post by jerryd6818 »

QTCut5 wrote:DAY 52

How many differences can you identify between the Mini Trapper I posted yesterday and today's Mini TrapPER DIEM? ::hmm::

I found six (6) differences (not counting bone color).

~Q~
  • Age - This one is a 2010. The first one is a 2014
  • Bolsters - This one has plain bolsters. The first one has etched bolsters.
  • EZ Open - This one is not. The first one is.
  • Shield - This one has the Federal Shield. The first one has a (sort of modified) bomb shield.
I wouldn't put too much stock in any bone color differences or perceived differences in the jigging. For me, differences in color can be accounted for by the way different pieces of bone took the color during the dying process and Case's habit of getting heavy handed on the hafting process accounts for any differences in jigging. ::shrug:: Your other two differences are???????

For today's offering, this one pleases my eye.
Attachments
Case 2005 Mini Trapper 6207W SS Sunset Orange - Labeled2.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Ooooh, jerryd...you really know how to light my candle...I absolutely LOVE the Sunset Bone 07W. Which would explain why I have two and was seriously contemplating bidding on a third one--currently up for auction by silverladdie on eBay--until my wife caught wind of my OCD Monkey's nefarious plan and immediately put the kibosh on it. Even the OCD Mini Trapper Monkey on my back was unable to convince her of the "need" for three, and he can be pretty persuasive (by which I mean he typically throws unholy tantrums then broods for days in venomous, seething silence until he finally gets his way). Nevertheless, my wife's mind seems to be set in stone this time, so I'll just have to find a way to content myself and pacify the OCD Monkey with the two I already have. Although, quite frankly, it might actually be less problematic in the long run to go ahead and get the third one anyway, uxorial consequences be hanged, since my wife will almost certainly forgive me (eventually) because, at heart, she is a kind, loving and long-suffering individual (which explains why she's still with me after nearly 30 years); whereas the OCD Monkey will torture me for all eternity if I don't do his bidding because OCD Monkey is a ruthlessly heartless irrational taskmaster accustomed to getting his way who very rarely forgives and almost never forgets. What would you do if you were me?
PA200001.JPG
PA200002.JPG
PA200003.JPG
I was planning on saving these to use next week on Two-For-Tuesday during Black and Orange theme week, but OCD Monkey is not known for his patience and insisted I post them today so they would be nicely organized next to jerryd's. Hopefully, I can come up with something else to take their place next week.

Although, technically, I'm posting these today under the auspices of the MSMD Amendment, so it shouldn't count as an official per diem submission. But rules aside, nobody really wants to see the same knives shown two weeks in a row; so, I guess we'll just have to wait and see how OCD Monkey manages to extricate himself from his own, self-created web of compulsive behavior.

~Q~

PS--The other two differences I found are, 1) The pattern number tang stamps (6107WEZ & 6107W), and, 2) the serial number 055 on the 6107WEZ--it's not easy to see without zoom magnification, but look closely and you'll see it stamped on the mark side of the blade just above the date tang stamp.
~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I never would have thought to zoom in for the serial number but I should have caught the EZ on the pattern stamp. I have a 6149EZ Copperhead. (Beauty, eh?)
Attachments
Case_Wharncliff_Copperhead_(Sheepcliff)_6149EZ_SS_labeled.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Yikes! Jerry that knife has it all for me. A Copperhead, plus E/O, plus gorgeous. That is one great trifecta. Congrats.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Quick Steel wrote:Yikes! Jerry that knife has it all for me. A Copperhead, plus E/O, plus gorgeous. That is one great trifecta. Congrats.
...plus Wharncliffe, for the "and one" four-point play! ::tu::

~Q~
~Q~
loizzojv

Post by loizzojv »

::nod:: that is one sharp looking knife!
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

I suspect the OCD Monkey will force a certain someone to post this exact same knife... :lol:
Attachments
44782916024_940abe0752_k.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thanks fellers. I am quite taken with that 6149EZ Copperhead. If they had a Copperhead with a Wharncliffe blade in a 3½" frame, I'd be all over 'em like white on rice.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

DAY 53

Time once again to double down on some red hot Two-For-Tuesday action.

Unlike the last two Mini Ts I posted which were very similar in appearance but had six differences in the details, the two Mini TrapPER DIEMS I selected for today do not look at all alike and yet apparently they actually have more in common than you might think.

Differences:
Handle Material; one has Tan G-10 and the other has Black & Off-White Delrin (note the different pattern numbers).
One has a nickel silver shield and the other has a brass shield

Things in Common:
Blade type; both have a single Wharncliffe blade
They both have synthetic handles
They both have Carhartt shields
They both have "Lazy Duck" head bolsters
They were both made in 2013

And then there's a few intangible things that are difficult (or impossible) to discern from a photo such as: The blades appear to be made of the same type of steel and have the same "as ground" finish and both have decent snap and no wobble.
PA220024.JPG
PA220026.JPG
PA220027.JPG
Granted, those aren't a whole lot of characteristics to compare, but it seems they're (slightly) more similar than it might appear at first glance. Well, you know what they say, "The devil is in the details."

~Q~

PS--Tony, apparently your suspicions were correct...You seem to know OCD Monkey quite well. You two hanging out together, or what? Do you have a relative of my OCD Mini Trapper Monkey on your back...his cousin, OCD Barlow Monkey, perhaps?
~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

How about one more difference? The brown one came in a tin instead of a box.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
Case 2013 Mini-Trapper 6107W SS - Carhartt -- Labeled.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

QTCut5 wrote:PS--Tony, apparently your suspicions were correct...You seem to know OCD Monkey quite well. You two hanging out together, or what? Do you have a relative of my OCD Mini Trapper Monkey on your back...his cousin, OCD Barlow Monkey, perhaps?
Q, I'm gonna have to start charging the OCD Barlow Monkey rent for all the time he's spent back there... :lol:
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

DSC05844.JPG
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Tomorrow's my last day for the Wharncliffes. After tomorrow, I'll just have to sit back and be a spectator for a few days.
Attachments
Case 2007 Mini Trapper  6207W - Red Bone - Labeled.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I really like that Red Bone, jerryd; it practically glows. Has anyone else ever wondered how Case comes up with names for their handle colors? In some instances it seems they allowed a lot more leeway for creativity--think of all the different names for the blue handled knives, for example--but there are relatively few variations for the red handles. In fact, other than "Crimson," I can't recall any other names Case has ever used other than just plain old "Red" for its red handled knives. They seem to have a lot of interesting names for the Corelon handles, too.

Switching gears now to play a little game of Monkey See, Monkey Do with John. He did a much better job with the artistic photographic presentation (he's pretty good at that); but, I was mainly aiming to show off the blades...specifically how this one has been modified (apparently by a serious wharncliffe-o-phile) so as to have two wharncliffe blades, a big on and a small one. As much as I love a wharncliffe blade, I can't help but wonder why. ::shrug:: :?
PA220006.JPG
PA220007.JPG
Maybe the smaller blade is more of a sheepfoot than a wharncliffe...but even so, it still seems a bit redundant to me. ::undecided::

~Q~
~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

DAY 54

Sticking with the single Wharncliffe blade (107W) model, today's Mini TrapPER DIEM is a holdover from Strictly Stag week. Interesting thing about this knife is that instead of a shield (or no shield at all), Case burned its logo into the handle; which is the only instance I am aware of when Case did this. The reason (as explained by Case in advertising literature) was because the Stag was just too beautiful to "mess up" with a shield. Hmmm... ::hmm:: ...not sure I'm buying that reason, necessarily...I mean they could have just left the shield (and logo) off entirely as they've done before with many different knives...both Mini Trapper and other patterns as well. Nevertheless, what I am buying (or, rather, did buy) was this beautiful 5107W Rancher Series Single Wharncliffe Blade Stag Mini Trapper made with CV Carbon Steel (which I have to keep well-coated with Renaissance Wax at all times to avoid the curse of collecting knives while living in a tropical climate near the ocean: nearly instantaneous CV rust).
2011 Case 5107W CV Stag 'Rancher' Wharncliffe Mini Trapper
2011 Case 5107W CV Stag 'Rancher' Wharncliffe Mini Trapper
PA200017.JPG
PA200018.JPG
PA200014.JPG
PA200021.JPG
~Q~
~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Anything to make it just a tad different and sell more knives to us obsessive compulsive types.

This "Hometown Hero's" is the last Wharncliffe in my pile that I haven't posted in this thread.
Attachments
W - Case 2011 Mini-Trapper 6207W SS Red Home Town Heroes - Labeled.JPG
DSC09636.JPG
DSC09635.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Q beautiful knife but Case should have left the logo off entirely imho ymmv. ::tu:: ::handshake::
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

bighomer wrote:Q beautiful knife but Case should have left the logo off entirely imho ymmv. ::tu:: ::handshake::
Generally, I prefer stag handles to be as uncluttered as possible...after all, the stag is "the show" and you can always find out the knife brand from the tang stamp. But, I also like knives that are different, unusual or have unique spins on the traditional styles. So, in the case of the burned-on logo, I've grown to appreciate it just for the fact that it's different from a standard shield or no shield at all. If nothing else, it gives my Stag Mini Trapper collection a bit more variety, and variety is usually more interesting than uniformity....although it would be difficult to imagine a collection of Stag handled knives that were all completely uniform (except for the Stag used on Hen & Rooster knives, which all looks basically the same to me).

~Q~
~Q~
loizzojv

Post by loizzojv »

Q - that Rancher just has that look of a knife with a lot of character.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

DAY 55

Took me awhile to figure out why OCD Mini Trapper Monkey was all excited this morning...then it dawned on me, of course, it's Thursday, which to OCD Monkey is actually Threesday--the day he gets to break the One-Knife-Per-Day rule simply by mispronouncing the day of the week (such a clever little Monkey!). Well, he's done it before and gotten away with it (nobody complained or held him accountable), so I guess a precedent has been set. But, since he was successful at subverting the rules before, the OCD Monkey is going to push it just a little further today (as monkeys are wont to do) and see if he can get away with interpreting the rules in such a way that he can post even more Mini Trappers while still technically remaining within the confines of the rules.

That being said, today's first Mini TraPPER DIEM is this triad, trio, trifecta, triumvirate or trinity (all singular nouns, so only counting as one entry) of 1st Issue Honey Bone Wharncliffe Mini Trappers:
PA200023.JPG
PA200025.JPG
PA200027.JPG
The second Mini TrapPER DIEM entry is closely related to the first set (notice, another singular noun used to describe the three previous knives...devious little Monkey!), but this one is a Green Bone 1st Issue Wharncliffe Mini Trapper:
PA220018.JPG
PA220019.JPG
PA220022.JPG
And, finally, the full weight of the Mini Trapper Monkey's OCD is revealed with this entry--which, you may notice, is very similar to the Stag Rancher Mini Trapper posted yesterday, thus keeping similar knives all closely grouped together in a well-ordered, nicely organized manner...exactly how OCD Mini Trapper Monkey likes everything to be.
PA230025.JPG
PA230022.JPG
PA230026.JPG
PA230023.JPG
So, once again, it appears the OCD Monkey has managed to find a loophole that allows him to seemingly break a rule while actually following it. I'll let you be the judge.

~Q~
~Q~
jennys

Post by jennys »

jerryd6818 wrote:For the Labor Day weekend, I'm going to "monkey see, monkey do" by posting the sister to ~Q~s knife but for the actual day tomorrow, I have a special one waiting in the wings.
That's a super nice knife you have there. ::nod::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

jennys wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:For the Labor Day weekend, I'm going to "monkey see, monkey do" by posting the sister to ~Q~s knife but for the actual day tomorrow, I have a special one waiting in the wings.
That's a super nice knife you have there. ::nod::
Thank you very much and welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard. As you will see as you wander around through the Forum (and I highly recommend you do some wandering) you will note that we love pictures here so post to your heart's content. We're all a bunch of sight hounds.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
loizzojv

Post by loizzojv »

Q - you won't get a complaint from me regarding the devious ingenious subversion that your monkey applies to the rules. We all benefit by getting to see more knives. :mrgreen:

Has your monkey ever considered a Friday Fantastic Foursome Finale?
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

loizzojv wrote:Q - you won't get a complaint from me regarding the devious ingenious subversion that your monkey applies to the rules. We all benefit by getting to see more knives. :mrgreen:

Has your monkey ever considered a Friday Fantastic Foursome Finale?
You're an enabler, aren't you. :mrgreen:
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

DAY 56
loizzojv wrote:Has your monkey ever considered a Friday Fantastic Foursome Finale?
He had not...until now. And the OCD Mini Trapper Monkey is not only highly susceptible to suggestion (particularly when put in alliterative form), he is also a very vain little beast who loves to perform, especially when he knows he has an audience watching.

So, thanks, Joe...now, it seems you may have not only incited the Monkey to show off, but you may have also unwittingly set a new precedent for the Friday Mini TrapPER DIEM presentations henceforth and forthwith.

Oh well, rules were made to be broken, and since no one else is posting their Mini Ts, I guess it wouldn't hurt to relax the rules just this once and allow the Mini Trapper Monkey to post four knives instead of only one under the Friday Fantastic Foursome Finale exception as per the suggestion of a loyal member of the viewing audience.

And what a great audience you are! I'll be here all evening so let's keep this party rolling. Apparently, the Monkey is taking requests now in the bandstand and he's eager to dance.
2004 Case 6207W Family Tree Series Green Jigged Bone Wharncliffe Mini Trapper
2004 Case 6207W Family Tree Series Green Jigged Bone Wharncliffe Mini Trapper
2002 Case 6107W Amber Jigged Bone Wharncliffe Mini Trapper
2002 Case 6107W Amber Jigged Bone Wharncliffe Mini Trapper
P8270002.JPG
2000 Case 6207W Mint Green Jigged Bone Wharncliffe Mini Trapper
2000 Case 6207W Mint Green Jigged Bone Wharncliffe Mini Trapper
2005 Case 6207W Lime Green Jigged Bone Wharncliffe Mini Trapper
2005 Case 6207W Lime Green Jigged Bone Wharncliffe Mini Trapper
Hey, if any rules have been violated, punish the Monkey, I'm just the organ grinder! ::undecided::

~Q~

Dig out your best Mini Trapper Pumpkin Carvers, because NEXT WEEK'S THEME is Black & Orange (in honor of Halloween, of course).
~Q~

Return to “General Knife Discussion”