The Mini TrapPER DIEM -- Your Daily Mini Trapper

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
cody6268

Re: The Mini TrapPER DIEM -- Your Daily Mini Trapper

Post by cody6268 »

Bear and Son Small Trapper; which is 3" closed. It's right at the start of "just big enough" with me. A standard Mini Trapper, at 3.5" is a good size. Queen's take, at 3 3/4" is perfect. A standard 4 1/8" Trapper is a bit too big. I find one-blade models a bit more pocketable.

Mt. Ida, orange Delrin handles. "Factory Find" from Red Hill Cutlery. The name was scribbled on the label of the box, so this is, obviously, a non-standard model thrown together by Bear with parts the factory in AL had laying around. Fit and finish is really bad. Main blade has rough action, and the snap is just mushy. Hardly any. The nail nicks are way too small.
KIMG2433.JPG
Remington R-131. I've had it two years. This is a good knife. Almost as good as a Camillus/Schrade. Handles are walnut, same as used for Remington shotgun stocks, albeit not as nicely finished. In fact, they have no sheen. This one has appropriatlely sized long pulls on both blades that allow me to easily get the blades out. Snap is great.
KIMG2435.JPG
I bought the Remington discounted down to $10, expecting there was something major wrong (in truth, I think it was because Bear had just lost the Remington license to Buck). However, it's the $18 Mt. Ida that's got problems.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Ripster wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:44 am Q, second what Jerry asked, what’s the deal with Dollar knife Co. ??. Is that just a etch for etch sakes or a company ? Thanks for posting all the awesome cutlery you have Q, and Jerry and Papa B and the rest of you. Really nice stuff,have a good one out there .
jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:34 am You could have a Blue Mule ~Q~ and the price is such that it would not even raise the eyebrows of the Mrs.

That blue S&M is a real sweetheart. (to me it looks more turquoise than blue but then I suppose turquoise is a shade of blue) I've never seen one with a "Dollar $ Knife Co" blade etch. Any history on that jewel?
Thanks guys.

I'm not a knife historian by any stretch, but this much I know...

The original Dollar Knife Corporation was started in the early 1920s in Oklahoma. It didn't last very long but during it's short lifespan it did some contract work for Schatt & Morgan (this would've been before S&M was purchased by Queen in 1933). My #51 was made in 2004; so, obviously it's not an "original" Dollar Knife Co made knife. I believe the "Dollar Knife Co" etch on my #51 is simply commemorative of the early 20th century relationship between Schatt & Morgan and the Dollar Knife Co. If you look closely, you'll see that what appears to be a dollar sign ( "$") is actually two intertwined letters: "S" and "M" (for Schatt & Morgan), which I think is pretty cool. 8)
~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

QTCut5 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:05 am If you look closely, you'll see that what appears to be a dollar sign ( "$") is actually two intertwined letters: "S" and "M" (for Schatt & Morgan), which I think is pretty cool. 8)
Well I'll be dipped, so it is. Thanks for pointing that out for us obtuse individuals (me). And thanks for the history lesson on the Dollar Knife Company. It's all appreciated.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

QTCut5 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:05 am
Ripster wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:44 am Q, second what Jerry asked, what’s the deal with Dollar knife Co. ??. Is that just a etch for etch sakes or a company ? Thanks for posting all the awesome cutlery you have Q, and Jerry and Papa B and the rest of you. Really nice stuff,have a good one out there .
jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:34 am You could have a Blue Mule ~Q~ and the price is such that it would not even raise the eyebrows of the Mrs.

That blue S&M is a real sweetheart. (to me it looks more turquoise than blue but then I suppose turquoise is a shade of blue) I've never seen one with a "Dollar $ Knife Co" blade etch. Any history on that jewel?
Thanks guys.
Q, thanks for the info on the Dollar knife co. And there involvement with SM. Have a good one .
I'm not a knife historian by any stretch, but this much I know...

The original Dollar Knife Corporation was started in the early 1920s in Oklahoma. It didn't last very long but during it's short lifespan it did some contract work for Schatt & Morgan (this would've been before S&M was purchased by Queen in 1933). My #51 was made in 2004; so, obviously it's not an "original" Dollar Knife Co made knife. I believe the "Dollar Knife Co" etch on my #51 is simply commemorative of the early 20th century relationship between Schatt & Morgan and the Dollar Knife Co. If you look closely, you'll see that what appears to be a dollar sign ( "$") is actually two intertwined letters: "S" and "M" (for Schatt & Morgan), which I think is pretty cool. 8)
JP
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Case 1996 Mini-Trapper 6207 SS Chestnut - Test Run - Labeled.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Love that Chestnut Bone, jerryd. In my experience, the true richness and depth of that handle color is nearly impossible to fully capture in photos; it must be experienced in hand to fully appreciate.

Update RE the S&M "Dollar Knife Co" #51:

I just received this email from Bob Welch at Queen Cutlery History. My info was pretty close but not quite perfect.

This is definitely a modern issue of a Queen / Schatt & Morgan knife and it does appear to be based upon the Queen #51 pattern. As a Schatt & Morgan knife though it should have a 6-digit pattern number but I don’t see any such marking in the photos. It has not appeared in any catalogs or flyers we have accumulated which leads me to think it may have been a special order or limited production item.

The Dollar Knife Corporation was owned by Schatt & Morgan which manufactured and marketed such branded knives from 1922 to 1928, as a separate brand. My colleague, David Clark and Dr. David Krauss published a booklet “The History of the Dollar Knife Corporation” in 2005. You could still find copies for sale on the web.

I've sent your photos off to some of our team to see if they can add any further info. When I hear from them I’ll pass on any additional info.

Regards,

Bob Welch
~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Gettin' down to the bottom of the barrel again. Just this and maybe two more, for now. Hopefully there will be more later. Time will tell.
Case 2001 Mini-Trapper Red Cross - Labeled.JPG
Attachments
My Cell Phone Pic.jpg
Case 2001 Mini-Trapper Red Cross.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Looks better open. ::nod::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Oh, stop it. :mrgreen:
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

The guys at Queen Cutlery History sure have been helpful. I just received more info on my S&M #51 "Dollar Knife Co" #51 from David Clark, co-author of History of Schatt & Morgan Dollar Knives

I have not seen that particular knife before but it looks like the #51 pattern that the Queen’s Own Club produced in 1999 and then with the etch from the New Dollar Knife produced in limited numbers in 2003. Krauss and I wrote about the history of the Dollar Knife in a small book that you could buy here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/History-of-Sch ... 2249973035
Attachments
PA070014.JPG
~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Case 1991 Mini-Trapper 6207 Dark Red Bone - Labeled.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Jtx wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:12 pm
QTCut5 wrote:
Jtx wrote:.Deleted my post... did not understand the rules. Sorry.
Jtx: The "rules", like all rules, are made to be broken. Besides, you didn't really break any rule other than the one about posting a "matching" mini trapper...which was not a well-considered rule in the first place and has since been revoked in the interest of greater diversity.

The Case 6207 you originally posted is a beautiful mini trapper that certainly deserves to be shown in this thread. Please consider re-posting it so we may all continue to enjoy seeing it.

~Q~
OK, here it is again. Thanks.
Aloha Jtx,
Remember posting this gorgeous Case XX 6207 back a few years ago in the Mini TrapPER DIEM thread?

Well, I'm currently doing a little Mini Trapper Timeline Project in the ODE To The 07 thread ( viewtopic.php?f=66&t=52911&start=1140 ) with the goal of documenting the evolution of the Case 07 pattern from the Tested era up thru today (100 years). I just started documenting the XX era 07 and was hoping I could convince you to post a photo of your 6207 from that era (you could even post the same photo if you still have it). Yours has some of the nicest bone I've ever seen on a 07 from that era and I'd really like to have it shown on the timeline.

If it's not too much trouble I would really appreciate it and know that other Mini Trapper fans would love to see it again. ::super_happy::

Thanks for considering my request. ::handshake::

PS--Should you ever want to sell it, please keep me in mind...I would love to have a knife like that in my collection.
~Q~
Jtx
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Jtx »

QTCut5 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:13 pm
Jtx wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:12 pm
QTCut5 wrote: Jtx: The "rules", like all rules, are made to be broken. Besides, you didn't really break any rule other than the one about posting a "matching" mini trapper...which was not a well-considered rule in the first place and has since been revoked in the interest of greater diversity.

The Case 6207 you originally posted is a beautiful mini trapper that certainly deserves to be shown in this thread. Please consider re-posting it so we may all continue to enjoy seeing it.

~Q~
OK, here it is again. Thanks.
Aloha Jtx,
Remember posting this gorgeous Case XX 6207 back a few years ago in the Mini TrapPER DIEM thread?

Well, I'm currently doing a little Mini Trapper Timeline Project in the ODE To The 07 thread ( viewtopic.php?f=66&t=52911&start=1140 ) with the goal of documenting the evolution of the Case 07 pattern from the Tested era up thru today (100 years). I just started documenting the XX era 07 and was hoping I could convince you to post a photo of your 6207 from that era (you could even post the same photo if you still have it). Yours has some of the nicest bone I've ever seen on a 07 from that era and I'd really like to have it shown on the timeline.

If it's not too much trouble I would really appreciate it and know that other Mini Trapper fans would love to see it again. ::super_happy::

Thanks for considering my request. ::handshake::

PS--Should you ever want to sell it, please keep me in mind...I would love to have a knife like that in my collection.
Q, I added a photo of that knife to your other thread. That was the only photo I could find of that particular knife. My 07 is a family piece, as it belonged to my grandfather's brother. When he died, my father was given the knife. Later, my father gave it to me and my son will inherit it next. Thanks for your interest in my knife. ::handshake::
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Jtx wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:45 pm My 07 is a family piece, as it belonged to my grandfather's brother. When he died, my father was given the knife. Later, my father gave it to me and my son will inherit it next. Thanks for your interest in my knife. ::handshake::
Right on. Thanks for showing it again...it's a real beauty for sure. (I'd consider being adopted by you if it meant you'd bequeath that 07 to me in your will ahead of your real son! :lol: )
~Q~
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Hey jerry.. You running out of storage space yet?? ::poke:: Those 07s are piling up there.. And fine ones they are!!! ::tu:: ::nod:: ::tu::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Funny you should mention that John. I recently had to buy another storage folder because I've run out of room, not for 07s but for the crap knives I keep acquiring. I am pathetic. ::facepalm::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:39 pm Funny you should mention that John. I recently had to buy another storage folder because I've run out of room, not for 07s but for the crap knives I keep acquiring. I am pathetic. ::facepalm::
:lol: :lol: There is no such things as crap knives!!! :lol: ::facepalm:: :lol: ::tu::
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

jmh58 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:42 pm
jerryd6818 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:39 pm Funny you should mention that John. I recently had to buy another storage folder because I've run out of room, not for 07s but for the crap knives I keep acquiring. I am pathetic. ::facepalm::
:lol: :lol: There is no such things as crap knives!!! :lol: ::facepalm:: :lol: ::tu::
John, when you piddle away your budget on knives that really don't ring your bell and then something you want comes along but you don't have the money from all those piddly knives then they become crap knives. ::facepalm::
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

doglegg wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:16 pm when you piddle away your budget on knives that really don't ring your bell and then something you want comes along but you don't have the money from all those piddly knives then they become crap knives. ::facepalm::
Glad to know I'm not the only one who does that. :oops:

Actually, in my case, the best and surest way to have a knife I really want show up for sale is for me to blow my entire knife budget on "crap" knives first....it never fails. ::disgust::
~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Oh look! Relatives. We're the Piddle Brothers.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

From September 23, 2020 to October 9, 2020 I acquired these four CASE XX, Orange County Choppers mini trappers. One is a 2004 and three are from 2005. Three have the tins, one doesn't.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
TPK

Post by TPK »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:23 pm From September 23, 2020 to October 9, 2020 I acquired these four CASE XX, Orange County Choppers mini trappers. One is a 2004 and three are from 2005. Three have the tins, one doesn't.
::woot:: 4! Man those are really cool Skip! :shock: Congrats Buddy! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::
Your my "King of Coolness" for the rest of the day! ::nod:: ::not_worthy:: ::not_worthy:: ::not_worthy::

Unless somebody has 5 of those. ::hmm:: :lol:
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

TPK wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:31 pm ::woot:: 4.....
Thank you Tom.🍻
But please, no "titles." I am not the "King" of anything.
::handshake::

Skip
TPK

Post by TPK »

New_Windsor_NY wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:41 pm
TPK wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:31 pm ::woot:: 4.....
Thank you Tom.🍻
But please, no "titles." I am not the "King" of anything.
::handshake::
Ok Skip. No "titles". ::facepalm::
Still pretty cool though! ::nod:: :mrgreen:
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

TPK wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:45 pm Ok.....
Thank you. ::tu::

Skip

Return to “General Knife Discussion”