The Mini TrapPER DIEM -- Your Daily Mini Trapper

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: The Mini TrapPER DIEM -- Your Daily Mini Trapper

Post by jerryd6818 »

As Gene Autry sang, "I'm back in the saddle again", at least for a short while. There are four but I'm going to stretch 'em out and just post one a day.

I'm not overly fond of lock backs but I bought it anyway, just for the Black Cherry Bone handles.

Seller's stock picture. Maybe I'll get inspired today if we get some sunshine and take my own pictures.
Attachments
Rough Rider RR1659 Mini Trapper Black Cherry Bone Handle - Labeled.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

jerryd6818 wrote:As Gene Autry sang, "I'm back in the saddle again", at least for a short while. There are four but I'm going to stretch 'em out and just post one a day.
I'm not a fan of lock backs on Mini Trappers, either, jerryd, but I sure do like the look of that Black Cherry Bone...nice choice. ::tu::

The suspense of waiting to see your other three new acquisitions was killing me (I'm sure it must have something to do with a lack of solar cooperation in IL for taking photos), so I guess I'll have to fill in the gap and pick up the slack (as you've done so many times for me) and post this Made In China Buck 382 that I recently picked up to temporarily satisfy my insatiable Mini T appetite. Not a bad little knife for less than $15.00.
P1090012.JPG
P1090015.JPG
P1090013.JPG
~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I rather like that Buck, ~Q~. I like the handles better than the wood handles on mine. Soooo, click, click, click, I bought one. MSMD

Speaking of Monkey See - Monkey Do, today's contribution to the thread is another one you influenced me into buying. Mom says you're a bad influence and I can't hang around with you anymore.
Attachments
Daniel Boone Mini-Trapper - Labeled.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Nice minis guys!....
Glad to see y'all got this thread going again!

Mike
::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Mom says you're a bad influence and I can't hang around with you anymore.
Between your Mom and my wife it's a wonder we manage to maintain our Mini T addiction at all.

Although the Case 107W is still my favorite Mini Trapper design, the Queen Schatt & Morgan model #51 runs a very close second. (More of both of those will be posted later.)

For today's Mini TrapPER DIEM I present this 1982 Queen Fish & Wildlife Service Special Agent SFO. I'm generally not particularly fond of blade etching, but the deep, gold-colored etch on this one I do find somewhat interesting...Who knew that 1982 was the year of the eagle? Well, now you do. Anyway, blade etch notwithstanding, I also love the bone on this one, and, as everyone knows, I'm a sucker for unusual tang stamps, too.
P1090002.JPG
P1090009.JPG
P1090005.JPG
P1090011.JPG
~Q~

~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Here's another one with a unique tang stamp; an SFO from 1984 for the Virginia Division of Wildlife Management.
P7190004.JPG
~Q~

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

My contribution for the day. At this point there's only one left in the queue.
Case 2016 Harley Davidson 10207 SS Mini Trapper Lava Kirinite - 1-Labeled.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

This one was already posted in another thread, but being that it's a Mini Trapper, I think it deserves a showing here as well.
P1020014.JPG
P1020010.JPG
P1020011.JPG
~Q~

~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Ahh, so good to be back in the Mini Trapper saddle again...even if it's just for short spells at a time. But, hey, I'll take 'em whenever I can for as long as I'm able.

Now, today's Mini TrapPER DIEM is another one with illustrious gray/grey bone (see DAY 114, page 35, if you're wondering why the seemingly unremarkable color gray might be considered noteworthy). But, I must admit that this one comes with a bit of a backstory.

It seems that once-upon-a-time, an arrogant and (semi) affluent mini trapper collector recklessly boasted that he "pitied the fool" who bid against him on a knife he was determined to own. As time went by, circumstances altered the fortune of the arrogant collector; his house deteriorated and required extensive and expensive repairs and then his health also took a turn for the worse which led to costly medical bills. Suddenly, the poor collector was indeed poor and found himself unable to afford even the cheap mini trappers made in China, which caused him great shame and distress in addition to the agonizing symptoms he was already suffering due to withdrawal from his mini trapper addiction.

To make matters even worse, one of his very good friends and fellow knife collectors alerted him to a mini trapper for sale that the previously affluent yet now penurious collector passionately coveted. Impoverished though he was, the poor mini trapper collector was determined to possess the knife at all costs. So, he devised a plan whereby he would use a sniping app to enter an outrageously high bid that would ensure a certain victory and win him the knife he so desperately desired. What he didn't expect was that he was not the only mini trapper collector who had thought of and was employing the same strategy.

Long story short: He won the knife...for exactly $1.00 less than his "outrageously high bid."

Moral of the story: For a true addict, no price is too high to pay for the object of his desire. Also...always bid way more than you think is "outrageously high" since there are a lot of addicts out there all vying for a limited supply. And, lastly, who is the real fool deserving of pity in this scenario, the so-called "winner" who vastly overpaid, or the ones bidding against him, aka, the losers, who went home empty-handed but with full pocketbooks? ::undecided::

Although this (apparently) highly desirable Case 6107W is clad in what might otherwise be considered rather mundane jigged gray bone, for the price it sold for, it may as well be ivory, gold or platinum. But, the main thing is...I got it!
P1110025.JPG
P1110030.JPG
P1110028.JPG
P1110032.JPG
P1110034.JPG
P1110035.JPG
Nothing worthwhile is gained without some degree of sacrifice.

~Q~

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

You probably think you're the only one to pull a shenanigan like that but you're not. Mine was the final piece of a set of eight Family Tree Doctor's Knives (see below, on the end to the left). I knew it existed but had never seen one for sale. When it popped up on eBay, I was determined to have it and complete the set so I set a price in my mind that was more than double what I had paid for any of the others. This was before Gixen so I was sniping manually. When the time counted down to three seconds I hit the go-giddy button and won the knife. For exactly what I had bid. I just sat there and stared at it being unable to believe that it had gone for that much. It didn't put me in the poor house but it was a whale of a lot more than I thought I was going to have to pay. Taught me a lesson. If you don't want to pay that much, don't bid that much.
All.JPG
Today's contribution to the thread.
Attachments
Case 2015 6207 Mini Trapper Candy Cane Cigar Band -- Labeled.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

That is a beautiful set of Doctor's knives, indeed. Although you may have overpaid for one of them, it must have been very satisfying to complete the set, nevertheless. Completing a set like that is the sort of thing that would totally appease my OCD; and yet, I find it curious that one of the knives has a different shield than the other other seven--which is the sort of thing that would totally trip my OCD trigger and send it into overdrive. Why would Case put a different style shield on just one knife in a set of eight? That makes absolutely no sense to me. :?

~Q~

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

If I remember correctly, they are an homage to four different old Case Family brands and that's probably why they were called Family Tree and there are three different shields.

Crandall - Blue Dahlia w/pen secondary
Crandall - Goldstone w/spatula secondary

CPlatts & Sons - Abalone w/pen secondary
CPlatts & Sons - Butter & Molassis w/spatula secondary

Kinfolks - Duck Feathers w/pen secondary
Kinfolks - Blue Swirl w/spatula secondary

Standard Knife Co - Christmas Tree w/pen secondary
Standard Knife Co - Cracked Ice Swirl w/spatula secondary

Edit: There were also one of each tang stamp with bone handles and one of each with stag handles but I didn't go for any of those.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

My MSMD Buck came yesterday.
Attachments
Buck 382 Mini-Trapper G-10 - 2014 - Labeled.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

QTCut5 wrote:Ahh, so good to be back in the Mini Trapper saddle again...even if it's just for short spells at a time. But, hey, I'll take 'em whenever I can for as long as I'm able.

Now, today's Mini TrapPER DIEM is another one with illustrious gray/grey bone (see DAY 114, page 35, if you're wondering why the seemingly unremarkable color gray might be considered noteworthy). But, I must admit that this one comes with a bit of a backstory.

It seems that once-upon-a-time, an arrogant and (semi) affluent mini trapper collector recklessly boasted that he "pitied the fool" who bid against him on a knife he was determined to own. As time went by, circumstances altered the fortune of the arrogant collector; his house deteriorated and required extensive and expensive repairs and then his health also took a turn for the worse which led to costly medical bills. Suddenly, the poor collector was indeed poor and found himself unable to afford even the cheap mini trappers made in China, which caused him great shame and distress in addition to the agonizing symptoms he was already suffering due to withdrawal from his mini trapper addiction.

To make matters even worse, one of his very good friends and fellow knife collectors alerted him to a mini trapper for sale that the previously affluent yet now penurious collector passionately coveted. Impoverished though he was, the poor mini trapper collector was determined to possess the knife at all costs. So, he devised a plan whereby he would use a sniping app to enter an outrageously high bid that would ensure a certain victory and win him the knife he so desperately desired. What he didn't expect was that he was not the only mini trapper collector who had thought of and was employing the same strategy.

Long story short: He won the knife...for exactly $1.00 less than his "outrageously high bid."

Moral of the story: For a true addict, no price is too high to pay for the object of his desire. Also...always bid way more than you think is "outrageously high" since there are a lot of addicts out there all vying for a limited supply. And, lastly, who is the real fool deserving of pity in this scenario, the so-called "winner" who vastly overpaid, or the ones bidding against him, aka, the losers, who went home empty-handed but with full pocketbooks? ::undecided::

Although this (apparently) highly desirable Case 6107W is clad in what might otherwise be considered rather mundane jigged gray bone, for the price it sold for, it may as well be ivory, gold or platinum. But, the main thing is...I got it!

P1110025.JPGP1110030.JPGP1110028.JPGP1110032.JPGP1110034.JPGP1110035.JPG

Nothing worthwhile is gained without some degree of sacrifice.

~Q~
Q - glad you got it ... sometimes, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do in life - this was one of those times. Your epic 107W collection is far better off for it ::tu::

Side note - I just won a nice older #47 that I intentionally overbid & coincidentally also won it by just a hair at my max overbid. Seems to be alot of people winning with excessively high bids which are almost exactly what our overbids are which I find suspect ... based on mine, yours & Jerry's stories - could there somehow be shenanigans afoot on eBay - makes one think it's not outside the realm of possibility ::shrug:: ::shrug::

Or could it just be a case of more often than not, seems there's always that one lone bidder out there in eBayland that jacks up the price and squashes the chances of our coming away with deals - whenever I think I'm about to come out ahead & that one guy jumps in at the end & makes me pay more than I wanted ... I always tell my wife the proverbial "fly in the ointment" bidder got me again... ::dang::
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Lansky1 wrote: more often than not, seems there's always that one lone bidder out there in eBayland that jacks up the price and squashes the chances of our coming away with deals - whenever I think I'm about to come out ahead & that one guy jumps in at the end & makes me pay more than I wanted ... I always tell my wife the proverbial "fly in the ointment" bidder got me again... ::dang::
My wife would be overjoyed if that happened to me more often since she already thinks I spend way too much money on knives. And she's right...of course, she's always right. (I have to say that because she might read this!)

My problem is not with other bidders so much as it is with my own inability to set a limit and restrain myself from overpaying. When I see a knife I really want, suddenly money has no value to me except as a means to obtain the object of my desire. When I look at the knives in my collection, I rarely remember how much I paid for each one. As far as I'm concerned, they're all priceless. When I do happen to remember the cost of a particular knife (usually because it was exceptionally expensive), I ask myself if right now, at this moment, would I rather have the knife or the money I paid for it? You can probably guess what my answer is almost every time.

~Q~

~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

When I first began seriously collecting knives I was infatuated with MOP; I absolutely loved the stuff and couldn't get enough of it. But, somewhere along the way, for some inexplicable reason, I suddenly lost my lust for it. Don't get me wrong, I still like it just fine, I'm just not crazy about it like I once was. It's kind of like a high school girlfriend: at one time we had something going on and then it ended, but we still remained friends.

Today's Mini TrapPER DIEM is one of my top two favorite patterns: Schatt & Morgan #51. And, thanks to jerryd for explaining the S&M pattern numbering system, I am pretty sure that 05 is the S&M designation for MOP. The MOP on this particular mini trapper/dogleg jack doesn't have much in the way of "fire" (the iridescent colors you see in some MOP when held at different angles or exposed to different light), in fact, it's fairly flat as far as that goes (dare I say, which is not at all like my high school girlfriend?! :wink: ). But, it's saving grace is the fact that it's a model 51, which means that even though I may not be passionately in love with it, she's still a good friend.
P1110018.JPG
P1110019.JPG
P1110017.JPG
P1110022.JPG
~Q~

~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Today's Mini TrapPER DIEM is my all-time favorite S&M pattern: Series 1, 042 151. Some of you may be thinking that I've already shown this one and it's a repeat. But, you would be mistaken. Once upon a time, I had four of this exact model. Two of them found other homes and I was left with just two for myself. However, you may recall me saying that this is the one pattern I can't resist buying whenever I see one for sale (as long as it's for a reasonable price, of course). So, with the recent addition of this one, I'm back up to three...which, for some reason, is very satisfying to OCD Monkey.
P1160002.JPG
P1160004.JPG
P1160003.JPG
P1160012.JPG
And, since today happens to be Threesday, I think it's appropriate to show the trio all together.
P1160022.JPG
P1160023.JPG
P1160015.JPG
~Q~

~Q~
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I understand why you can't resist it ~Q~. It sure is a looker. That bone. The threaded bolsters. Mmmm Mmm ::drool::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

DSC05385.JPG
::super_happy:: ::woot::
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Hey, as long as we're showing S&M 51's I'd like to sneak one in here that used to be in ~Q~'s stable. Thanks a bunch ~Q~. She's a beauty.
Attachments
S&M 042 151 Series I Mini-Trapper - Labeled.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Looks like we're on a 51 roll, here; a veritable convoy cruisin' down Highway 51, as it were! It is indeed a beautiful sight to behold.

Today's Mini TrapPER DIEM is another S&M 51 and humbly takes it's place at the rear of the convoy. The plain wood handle isn't as pretty as the bone on the other 51s and it doesn't even have a shiny keystone shield. Nevertheless, it's precisely because of these perceived "deficiencies" that this plain-belly 51 will be the most used, hence the most popular 51 at the weenie roasts on the beaches with the prettier, bone-handled, shield-bellied 51 Sneeches.**

Not to say it's an ugly duckling; but, for this 51, function definitely trumps form.
P1180018.JPG
P1180005.JPG
~Q~

**If you're wondering what the heck I'm talking about, you probably need to brush up on your Dr. Seuss references.

~Q~
NapalmSloth

Post by NapalmSloth »

This is my one and only mini trapper. My wife gave it to me yesterday. It instantly became my Sunday carry.
Attachments
90BB474E-441A-4304-83A3-5D8C726A9E5B.jpeg
"Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option." Mark Twain
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

NapalmSloth wrote:This is my one and only mini trapper. My wife gave it to me yesterday. It instantly became my Sunday carry.
Any wife who actually gives her man a mini trapper (instead of constantly complaining because he's buying too many for himself) is a definite keeper in my book--hang on to that one, Mr. Sloth. Although when I consider your chosen AAPK handle, I can't help but wonder if she might be trying to give you a subtle hint about possibly improving your work ethic? If I recall correctly from my Sunday School days as a youth, isn't "sloth" one of the seven deadly sins? I'm not even going to risk guessing about the "napalm" portion, but I'm sure there must be a story behind that moniker as well.

Anyhoo, it was I who was slothful this morning. I had planned on putting the caboose on the 51 mini trapper train we had going with my Mini TrapPER DIEM post for today; but, gosh darn it, it's just so hard to get out of bed on these bitter cold (75 F) Hawaiian winter mornings, and since it was Sunday and I had no place to be, I allowed myself some extra snoozing time under the cozy covers.

To be perfectly honest, just like the 51s that have been shown here recently (which are technically "dogleg jacks"), this 51 isn't a true Mini Trapper either; if it were, it would have both a clip and a spay blade and be called a 51T. But, at least it's still a model 51, nevertheless. I have always wished that Queen would have made a Wharncliffe version of the 51 (a 51W, perhaps?), but, alas, this is the closest I could find to fulfilling my unicorn dream. It may not be a mini trapper, but at least it is a 51 with a Wharncliffe blade...a mini wharncliffe blade.
P1180036.JPG
P1180032.JPG
P1180028.JPG
P1180035.JPG
~Q~

~Q~
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Hey Q, I've got one of those.
DSCN3984.JPG
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Nice Queen #51 Carver, Floyd. I admit that from a purely proportional perspective it's a strange looking knife because of the little Wharncliffe blade, but for some reason I really like it. If I were ever to EDC it, I think it would come in quite handy and be perfectly suited for a variety of cutting tasks. Thank you for showing yours.

And speaking of knives with a little Wharncliffe blade, allow me to present today's Mini TrapPER DIEM: a most unusual Bear & Son commemorative knife. I must confess that I'm not a fan of Bear & Son knives, but the fact that this one has a single Wharncliffe blade was enough for me to justify getting it to add to my mini trapper collection. Although, quite frankly I'm not so sure it even qualifies as a mini trapper since its closed length is just barely 3", which, I believe, is closer to Tiny Trapper dimensions. And curiously, the blade is only 2 1/8" which seems about 1/4" too small for the frame. It's almost as if the B&S factory did a cobble job on one of their own knives in order to use up existing stock and give the Harvest in the Bluegrass Festival organizers a cheaper deal on an SFO. But, that is purely speculation on my part. Maybe they intended to make a small trapper with an unusually small, single Wharncliffe blade all along. Who knows? What I do know is that while I'm not particularly fond of Ram Horn handles in general, I do find the handle of this bizarre little knife appealing in its own peculiar way.
P1180042.JPG
P1180045.JPG
P1180043.JPG
~Q~

~Q~

Return to “General Knife Discussion”