Help Identifying an L,F & C knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
08blackout

Help Identifying an L,F & C knife

Post by 08blackout »

I recently helped my grandmother clean out her basement, and we found this knife. After some time cleaning I was able to make out what it said on the blade. I did a little research and found that L, F and C are better known for pocket knives and kitchen knives, and I haven't been able to find anything on this knife. If anyone can tell me pretty much anything about this knife, it would be greatly appreciated. It's got a 7 inch blade and it's a full tang, thats pretty much all I know about it.
Attachments
20180808_130034.jpg
20180808_130024.jpg
20180808_130030.jpg
Gunsil

Re: Help Identifying an L,F & C knife

Post by Gunsil »

Your knife is what is called a "bowie hunter", that is, a bowie style hunting knife. Made in the late 1800s-early 1900s. They made a couple of models and yours is the cheaper version with a thin guard and synthetic "stag" handle scales with a flat ground blade. They also made one with a saber ground blade, genuine stag scales and a thick guard. Yours appears to be in pretty nice shape with the full etch visible. The saber ground blade ones had LF&C stamped into the ricasso rather than the etched mark. The 7" blade is more desirable than the 6" ones.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Help Identifying an L,F & C knife

Post by edge213 »

Great old knife.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf

Return to “General Knife Discussion”