Case Knife Dispaly Board

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
just bob

Case Knife Dispaly Board

Post by just bob »

Not a bad bunch of knives but I'm disagreeing with the seller's comment that " Knives attached to the board by Case factory and with the exception of model 6111 (upper middle, 7th from left), all knives are still attached as they left the factory. I just doubt Case kept this board in the factory for 10 years and kept adding knives. More like the hardware store owner added them to replace knives he had sold. If you zoom in some of these look used. Wouldn't that be right?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Case-p ... 1438.l2649
Attachments
ebay pic 5 .jpg
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case Knife Dispaly Board

Post by gsmith7158 »

I don't know if they've been used Bob but wherever they've been stored was obviously not ideal for the knives. There is rust on many of the blades and mildew on the board. The knives with delrin handles are so badly hazed I don't know if you could bring them back or not. That's definitely a clean up project that may never pan out.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

just bob wrote:Not a bad bunch of knives but I'm disagreeing with the seller's comment that " Knives attached to the board by Case factory and with the exception of model 6111 (upper middle, 7th from left), all knives are still attached as they left the factory. I just doubt Case kept this board in the factory for 10 years and kept adding knives. More like the hardware store owner added them to replace knives he had sold. If you zoom in some of these look used. Wouldn't that be right?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Case-p ... 1438.l2649
I agree...looks like a 1970 era board, but a number of knives have been replaced in the top sections.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

What bugs me about these kind of sales is that they don’t take the knives off the board and let you see the opposite side. These knives look very rough. If they came from the factory, then they should all have the same tang stamp that dates them. But the seller isn’t giving you pictures of the tangs.
I really don’t like these kind of sales. It seems a little dishonest to me to not take these off the display and photograph them for you to see what you are buying.
Plus, why is he only asking 1290 dollars. This many older knives should be worth a whole lot more than that.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Well, actually, the reserve is not met at $1250. So, we don't know what he is willing to sell them for. Even if they are "as they left the factory" (which I also doubt), the condition of the knives is bad, and that makes this "as found" piece worth a lot less in my eyes. I think it is pretty clear that at least a few of the wire wraps have been replaced - you can tell because on the back the wire is not neatly cut off.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Older Case display boards fascinate me for many reasons, and I have studied them for many years. I have many photos of them, some from the Case factory archives and many photos snagged from Ebay listings.

IMO, on this one all of the 2-blade jacks/trappers and all of the 3-blade stock knives are original to the board, which appears to be from 1970-71.

As to the upper knives, many of the pen knives appear to be original to the board, but not all. The 051 lockbacks have clearly been added, as has the 6111 1/2 L.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”