To Sell or Keep, I need help

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

To Sell or Keep, I need help

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I need your opinions. I bought this set of 6 ivory handled matching serial numbered Case set of knives back in 2009. I have a lot of money in these. I sent them to Gary Harbour to have him scrimshaw these for me. That too costs money. So I got them back today and now I don’t know if I want to sell them. The pictures don’t do them justice. They are beautiful.
I don’t need the money. But I know my kids won’t appreciate them someday, in fact they are turned off by them being ivory. My wife doesn’t really care one way or the other. So, I am left feeling kinda guilty to have so much tied up in these just for myself.
Also when I display knives in my house, I can’t show them to anyone when family comes in. We have a few drug addicts that like to steal. So should I find them a new home? Or just keep them and enjoy them?
I included a picture of the back of one knife so you can see the contrast between the before and after.
What do you all think?
Mark
Attachments
IMG_3658.jpeg
IMG_3659.jpeg
IMG_3661.jpeg
IMG_3673.jpeg
IMG_3674.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: To Sell or Keep, I need help

Post by gsmith7158 »

Mark I think you should keep and enjoy them as long as possible because you have customized them to your tastes. You may not recover that investment for a long time so let them simmer and enjoy. ::tu::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

That’s a good thought. They are beautiful. I couldn’t have been happier w/ how they came out. I might enjoy having them around awhile at least.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Marinate - if you needed the $$ the suggestion would be different but since that's not the case, pull them out from time to time and remind yourself why you bought them and customized them. We all work hard so playing hard is OK.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I think I would keep them and enjoy them.
When I no longer enjoy them sell them or leave them in your will to your favorite charity.
If you can fine a knife related charity like Knife Rights, even better!

Gary Harbor did some scrimshaw on Kershaw knives in the late 1970s or early 1980s. I wish I could have bought some then. His work is spectacular!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Mark - I agree with the others. I would not sell those knives unless I was in dire need of money or thought that death was imminent. A collection of knives like that is way more satisfying than looking at a bank statement and seeing larger numbers. That is my opinion, anyway. I am the only one who enjoys my knives, but I do enjoy looking at them. I can see where the security situation would complicate your decision if you cannot keep them out where you can enjoy them.
Mel
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I would say enjoy them as long as you like. You probably won't get out of them what you out in them, but you can end up selling them at some point down the road
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

ENJOY ::nod:: they are beautiful ::tu:: ::tu::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

Whoa ! They Are Spectacular ! Keep Them safe and enjoy them for as long as Possible , You wont mind if I print out a 8x10 glossy for my wall ::drool::
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

It sounds like you really like the knives. Use them gently and enjoy them. You deserve it.

Could you display them in a bedroom that is not accessed by visitors/relatives?

Great looking knives by the way !

Bob
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

My only advice would be - whether you want to keep or sell - get written documentation signed by the scrimshaw artist to keep with the knives. Also if possible get whatever product glossy or other documentation that Case issued for the knives when you bought them. That way there is a clear trail of documentation regarding the history and the rarity of the knives.

I have not kept up with the back and forth on efforts to ban ivory - even existing ivory - but that could be a worry in the future if there is a ban on owning any and all ivory regardless of its age.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I agree with the others. If I didn't need the money I would keep them.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

You hit the nail on the head about the problems w/ ivory. And I do have COA from Gary along w/ the certificates from Case stating that this is estate ivory and pre ban. The Obama administration was changing and may have changed the rules on ivory. When I bought the first knife from Shepherd Hills cutlery, they gave anyone that bought one the right to buy all the other patterns w/ the same serial number as they came out. Then Obama stepped in and was going to make it impossible to sell anything ivory unless you could prove the age of the ivory, which would only have been possible if you carbon dated it. So in effect, you can’t sell it. Because of that Shepherd Hills and Case rushed out the other 5 patterns and gave all the others that bought the one the right to buy the rest. It sped up the time horizon on the purchase but fortunately I was able to swing it.
I can’t sell these on eBay, although I see ivory knives going through, just not described as ivory. So one of my big motivations is the possible restrictions in the future.
What complicated this is the incredible work that Gary did. I am so glad I had the idea to get these scrimed. But man, it’s making my original plan hard. I think I may have to hang onto them for a little while, even though it means moving them around when someone comes over. But if someone likes em well enough to make an offer I can’t refuse, I would have to rethink.
Sorry about all the public thinking I am doing, but I really respect the people on this forum and know I will get good sage advice.
And go ahead and take all the copies of this you want. If anyone wants some close ups, just ask.
Thanks, Mark
Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jody744 »

How much for the canoe?
Just kidding, I am knife broke at the moment. Absolutely fantastic set
"I like Case, Queen, S & M, Fightn' Rooster and many more."
(quote stolen from one of Jody Brown's posts)
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Absolutely stunning Case scrimshawed ivory collection! Although I have no doubt you could always recover your investment and most likely make a handsome profit anytime you chose to sell them (plenty of ivory knives continue to be bought and sold on eBay...the ban has only driven the prices higher due to scarcity, it has not caused a noticeable drop in demand), a collection like that is priceless to someone who truly appreciates it. It's a treasure worth more to own than whatever amount you could get from selling it, IMO.

~Q~
~Q~
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

I absolutely love that set! The added scrimshaw work just makes the set that much more special. You said the set has matching serial numbers......how many total sets were done? Also, did it come with a way to display it originally?
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

There were just 100 sets originaly. They came in a velvet box, which you could use to display them if you have enough room but honestly they don’t look right in the box, looks like something under glass in a jewelry store. I have no idea how many of those who purchased the first one went on and bought the rest of each serial number. That’s really hard to say. I wonder if Shepherd Hills knows that answer?
Thank you again for the replies. I am still contemplating what to do. I can tell the consensus is to keep them, should have expected that on a collectors site. That’s my instinct too.
The post about ivory still being in high demand is encouraging. Just never know what some future administration is going to do that could change all that.
Mark
bocaj

Post by bocaj »

I have to admit this same concept BUGS me about 2 or 3 times a year... I also fall into the exact same series of perdicaments…
The ivory concept complicates the process a bit … but the advice regarding documentation already given is as good as it gets.
I have opted to enjoy the workmanship and pure beauty of some knives as my personal reward.
That said, I have and would offer the concept of keeping the most favored item or 2 and documenting your reasons for enjoyment in their storage location. The remainder will live with you in pictures and stories but could be sold to spread the value to others who will continue to create a future awareness and value to a greater circle of enthusiasts.

This leaving a legacy works both ways... your family understands your values and appreciates this as part of their heritage....
your sales spread to a growing interest and awareness which is probably the only way to expand the overall value of historic and vintage knives in the future..... This second effort may also increase the value of the knives you left for family ???
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Bocaj, this is interesting. I hadn’t really thought it through that far. I do get enjoyment from selling a knife to someone who appreciates it. That’s one reason I use to like keeping my knives on display. But living out in the country like I do makes me nervous about theft. So many addicts anymore and it’s even in my own family. I have some of my knives insured and if I keep these I will add them to that insurance. But the idea of others who really appreciate them and would be enthusiastic about it, really appeals to me.
Funny you mention photos as a way to enjoy them. I have over a thousand photos of knives that I sold from the first collection I bought and sold. I enjoy scrolling through those and seeing them again. It must be a sickness, but it does make me wish sometimes I had kept this one or that one. I really regret selling any of the Appaloosa Bone knives that I had.
Thank you for another thoughtful insight, this is why I asked and posted this. Much appreciated.
Mark
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Definitive documented FYI from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service re' the possession and/or sale of ivory in the U.S.

https://www.fws.gov/international/trave ... swers.html

I find it mind-bogglingly-confusing myself. ::facepalm::

Suffice it to say that you, the owner, are required to keep and maintain certified proof that the ivory you possess is pre-ban, legally imported and legally obtained. The government will not investigate the legality of anyone's ivory.

Keep the knives and request them be buried with you. End of problem. ::tu::

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Sheesh! What a mess that is. No wonder eBay restricts it so.
::dang::
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Ebay may be restricting the sale of ivory on their site for the simple reason that they have a moral objection to it. Or maybe there are California statutes to which they must adhere, which is why they do not allow the sale of automatics.

However, it might be, given the complexity of the Fish and Wildlife Service regulations, they simply do not wish to get embroiled in any charges of complicity in any illegal sale of ivory.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
kenb

Post by kenb »

Keep them, they're beautiful. I keep just about everything. Whenever I do sell something I feel bad after it's gone or sometimes a year or so later I see a similar knife and I beat myself up for selling it. Just keep them.

Ken
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks Ken, It is interesting that so many people collect to have and have and have. The idea of selling is anathema to them. I’m not quite there. I have always said that every knife I have in my collection is for sale, at the right price.. SO. In one way they will of course be for sale, but how hard will I work to get them sold that’s the question. The longer I procrastinate the longer I get to enjoy them. Hooray for doing it tomorrow!
Mark

Return to “General Knife Discussion”