Watson Damascus folder

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Boothaler

Watson Damascus folder

Post by Boothaler »

In the 90’s I bought a Damascus folder at the 18th century market fair @ ft Frederick md. It was made by billy Watson and I would like to get it repaired. Any suggestions for a good knife maker for repairs?
Attachments
A6D4BC3A-3958-4CB4-B015-04851263BADE.jpeg
70E77ABC-1A52-49F4-9B61-479C57B0EFBF.jpeg
E79B2F4A-D0EF-4B45-8379-0F798F7BC4D1.jpeg
43D2ED61-B71E-4302-854D-59191D22B35C.jpeg
0778D8EB-D67A-4D47-9E4E-A792ABA8D477.jpeg
95310CD3-4479-4838-B8CF-DA72D66E2C31.jpeg
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Watson Damascus folder

Post by btrwtr »

Quite a few good repairmen around here but who would repair it may depend on what is wrong with it. I can't tell from the pictures that anything is broken.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

That is a beautiful Billy Watson Folder. I have several of Billy's knives but no folder. That one makes my mouth water.

What is the problem with your knife?

Mike
::shrug::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Boothaler

Post by Boothaler »

The end spring that holds the blade in the open or closed position broke in half. The spring doesn’t look like Damascus, the knife would need to be taken apart and the spring copied from the broken pieces. The wood probably wouldn’t survive the tear down.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Boothaler wrote:In the 90’s I bought a Damascus folder at the 18th century market fair @ ft Frederick md. It was made by billy Watson and I would like to get it repaired. Any suggestions for a good knife maker for repairs?
I bet muskratman or Glennbad among others could fix it for you. Look them up and drop them a line. If they are busy check back as there are others. ::tu::
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

doglegg wrote:
Boothaler wrote:In the 90’s I bought a Damascus folder at the 18th century market fair @ ft Frederick md. It was made by billy Watson and I would like to get it repaired. Any suggestions for a good knife maker for repairs?
I bet muskratman or Glennbad among others could fix it for you. Look them up and drop them a line. If they are busy check back as there are others. ::tu::
Yep..... and they can do a repair without any damage.
They are good really good at restorations.
I am STILL envious of that folder. I always wanted a Billy Watson folder. I have several of his sheath knives.
He was a great guy too. I met him several years ago.

Mike
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

doglegg wrote:
Good advice. Go over to the "Knife repair and restoration" subforum here viewforum.php?f=37. You'll find posts there from muskrat man, glennbad, and other members here that repair and restore knives, along with some pictures of their work. To the left of their posts, under their avatars are the icons that will take you to the page where you can send them a PM or email.

Here's a link to a tutorial on how to send a PM or email to another member. viewtopic.php?f=98&t=58176

Welcome to AAPK.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I would try MuskratMan (Kaleb) first. He has more experience with replacement springs than I do, and does great work.

Glenn
Boothaler

Post by Boothaler »

Wow, thanks for all the good advice. I think I’m going to have to spend more time on this forum exploring.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”