Deal or no deal?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Deal or no deal?

Post by Jody744 »

I don’t know much about English knives, this one opens and shuts as it should, not mint, handles not cracked, is it a fair asking price? It is near me for sale. Fairly large folder. Any advice appreciated greatly
F5AFA43B-7464-4B60-8DB2-61462106364A.jpeg
"I like Case, Queen, S & M, Fightn' Rooster and many more."
(quote stolen from one of Jody Brown's posts)
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Deal or no deal?

Post by QTCut5 »

I'm definitely no expert...but, the blades appear to be pitted (not unusual on a vintage carbon steel knife) and, though it's hard to tell from the photo, it looks to have iron bolsters (?) which would suggest it's an older knife..possibly even an antique (100+ yrs old). If the stag handles are tight and free of chips or hairline pin cracks--you may need to use a magnifying glass or jewelers loupe--then it really just boils down to how much it "calls out" to you and how badly you want it. $125 doesn't seem too excessive for that particular knife based on what I can see in the photo and my limited knowledge of Geo. Wostenholm I*XL (a brand which always seem to be very popular among collectors of vintage knives). In the end, however, the real test is how it feels when you hold it in your own hands and examine it with your own eyes...then you just follow your gut instinct--you'll know you made the right decision when you get that excited feeling in the pit of your stomach and you can't stop thinking about it and/or fondling it.

BTW, if it's being sold at a pawn shop or antique store, I would probably make an offer to try and get the seller to come down a bit...like offer $100 then "settle" for $110 or $115...not to try to lowball the seller, but just so both parties walk away feeling they made out OK on the deal.

Just my 2-cents...for what it's worth.

Good luck.

~Q~
~Q~
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I agree with Q, I would definitely negotiate for a better price. I find most antique stores will usually give a 10% discount, especially on an item over the $100 mark.

I am no expert on the brand either, but personally I would try to get it for $100, unless research shows it to be worth far more, or less.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

It may be worth more, but based on condition and blade loss, I'd probably only go around $50-60 tops. It looks like a nice piece, but there may be better examples out there.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

What is the length of the knife closed?
Is the main blade a lambsfoot?
Joe
gino

Post by gino »

A bit pricey for me as well JMO
They are plentiful enough that a more reasonable price can be found in fact a few members here sell similar knives
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Goins states 1850 - 1890 for the mark described on that label.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

I think the "celebrated cutlery" mark did not start until the 1870s. My opinion is that if you really like the knife buy it, but if you are looking to make money on it in the near future let it lie.
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Looks like a nice old knife to me and the IXL Celebrated Cutlery knives are less common... does it have good snap on the blades?? Interesting 2 blade jack pattern with curved or swayback handles and looks to be nice old stag... pending overall condition about right on the price but as others note ask them what their bottom line is or offer them something lower - nothing to lose if you ask ::nod:: ...
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jody744 »

I think it is neat, just don’t want to pay $125 for a knife that may only be worth $75. Not looking to make money, just trying to spend wisely. I did get a Winchester gunstock for a fair price from same seller that day. 1988 made by queen.
image.jpg
Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jody744 »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:Goins states 1850 - 1890 for the mark described on that label.

Charlie
Somebody once told me they were advised to buy the best knife they could for their money, thanks for all the advice and info
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Looks like a great knife. It appears you really want it. Try to get it at a lower price.

If not, get it for a price you can afford.

Bob
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

I bought an almost identical knife, same maker and similar condition as long the snap is good and there aren't any cracks we can't see by the picture. I think that was the price I paid for mine and it was from from a very well known and respected knife guy. I never regretted it at all and was pleased with the knife and the price. It's a good knife, and cheaper knives generally don't please you as much as a good knife when you get them home and in hand.____Dave
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

As others have said it is a desirable brand but I think it is very overpriced. It appears there is considerable blade loss and a lot of pitting. If I were looking to buy it I wouldn't pay over $50 for it.
That being said if you really like it and don't mind spending the money go for it.Just my opinion folks;your mileage may vary.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Jody I have some questions for you...….. If you buy the knife can you still pay all the bills this month? If you buy the knife will that satisfy your knife lust for now ? Is there any other knife you'd rather have ?

Think about these things wee hopper and you will know what to do.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Those questions come to mind everytime I buy a knife, or a new car. Once you start thinking about it like this it helps to narrow the choices down a bit. I agree that the knife seems overpriced. What else could you buy for the same money? There are a lot of mint condition knives out there for that money. I would rather own something that is mint, like a Winchester Big Congress or Elephant Toe for less money than what’s being asked for that. But I don’t collect older antique knives. Just my 2 cents also.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

philco wrote:If you buy the knife can you still pay all the bills this month? If you buy the knife will that satisfy your knife lust for now ? Is there any other knife you'd rather have ?
Your sage advice is sound, Phil (as always)...but, I must confess: when I see a knife I want, I rarely let such things as being able to pay the bills keep me getting it; my knife lust is never fully satisfied--even temporarily after a purchase (which only seems to fan the flames of desire); and, there will always be another knife (or two...or ten) I'd rather have at any given moment, but they're not always available right now, right in front of me; and, depending on the knife, may never be available...ever, while the one I'm looking at is. I say carpe diem et carpe ferrum...seize the day and seize the blade!

And, for what it's worth...I routinely "overpay" for knives I want, but it's been my experience that the sweet joyful feeling of acquisition and ownership endures forever, while the bitter taste of overpaying is soon forgotten. Money comes and goes; you can always get more money. But a knife will last a lifetime and bring joy every time you look at it or pick it up and hold it, and for some knives, you may only get one opportunity to buy them in your entire lifetime....at any price.

Perhaps a better question to ask yourself when considering whether or not to purchase a knife is, "When the knife is no longer available, will you regret having let it get away just for the sake of a few extra dollars?" I can't count the number of time I've kicked myself for failing to buy a knife because I allowed money to control my decision instead of following my heart. But, then again, I am an inveterate, incorrigible and unrepentant knife addict, so YMMV.

~Q~
~Q~
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I do not think it is over priced as long as blades have some snap and no serious play. The maker, age, pattern size and handle material are all desirable to collectors. Plus it is 2 blade which is less common than same pattern as a single blade. Not sure of closed length but those over 4 1/2" usually sell quite a bit higher than those under 4 1/2". Blade loss is standard in these old pruner knives. People still bid for them. If blades are full or near price would be 2-3x higher.
On ebay this knife would likely get about $125 or could go higher.
Very few 'mint' vintage USA folding knives are priced as low as $125. It is not a lot of money to pay for a vintage knife.
kj
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

From what I see in the picture....over priced.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Like I said before, I don't think that is too much for a knife that old from that good a company in pretty good condition. It would take more money than that to buy mine, and if I didn't have one, I'd buy that one if offered. I've been collecting old working knives like hawkbills, lambsfoot and sailors knives for years and I rarely see one of that quality and age go for less. Obviously, I would make an offer to see if they are willing to deal. I think mine was marked at $150 and I got it for $125. ____Dave
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Jody as others have stated, if there is good snap to the blade and no play in them I say that is reasonable. After all if the tang is marked as stated it's over 100 years old. Also a two blade jack from Wolstenholm from that early is somewhat scarce I would think.
I'm not going to comment on Q's soliloquy as I wish to invoke my 5th ammendment rights against self incrimination.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”