Never too old to learn a lesson

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Never too old to learn a lesson

Post by glennbad »

I occasionally buy random knives from ebay. Most of the time, My intuition pays off and I get a decent knife. But I have been burned by thinking (or wishing) a knife is something it isn't. Often pictures are sketchy at best, so I am left guessing.

Case in point, I saw this knife in a lot, the others were junk, but this one really intrigued me. Knowing that you never really know everything that a maker may have produced, I dreamily thought I had found some unicorn Streamline pattern that Camillus had made. Turned out to be just a modded Streamline clip blade franken-knifed into a different frame. For your amusement...

Streamline unicorn.jpg

Anyone else got a story about seeing something awesome that turned out to be a dud?

Glenn
KleenCut61

Re: Never too old to learn a lesson

Post by KleenCut61 »

I Bought a Remington Pen with awesome jigged bone , Master Blade was a Keen Cutter , Needles to say its in a Baggy some were in the Parts Drawer :mrgreen: Others I don't care to admit too :lol: I here ya though Glenn , E-Bay can be a scary place to spend your hard earned green , With the Good, Bad , And just plain Fugly __K.C.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Glenn, you're not the first one to buy a Pig-In-A-Poke. I've allowed poor pictures, iffy descriptions and wishful thinking guide me into the dark more than once. My greatest sin is not inquiring as to the closed length and ending up with some teeny-tiny something or other. ::facepalm::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

Both the shield and the handle material look like Camillus.

JMO
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Yep, I have gotten a couple of those "knife lots" that had some nice looking knives laying amongst the bunch. Only problem is, when you get 'em and open 'em they have broken blades or worn out blades. Or, laying shield side up and the far side scale is gone.

Makes me want to put 'em all in a pile, list 'em on the 'bay for a starting bid of $.02 with $20 shipping.. :x . But, I don't just have the heart to do that to anybody.

Mike
::tired::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

msteele6 wrote:Both the shield and the handle material look like Camillus.

JMO
I know, that's what sent me further down the rabbit hole. ::doh::
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Meridian_Mike wrote:Makes me want to put 'em all in a pile
Mike - save them for the next POS Roundtable - it sure soothes the pain when you know somebody is going to get a few yucks over the steaming pile that they open up! ::nod::
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

bestgear wrote:
Mike - save them for the next POS Roundtable - it sure soothes the pain when you know somebody is going to get a few yucks over the steaming pile that they open up! ::nod::
LOL...Yep, steaming pile is right.

:lol:
Hillbilly70

Post by Hillbilly70 »

jerryd6818 wrote:Glenn, you're not the first one to buy a Pig-In-A-Poke. I've allowed poor pictures, iffy descriptions and wishful thinking guide me into the dark more than once. My greatest sin is not inquiring as to the closed length and ending up with some teeny-tiny something or other. ::facepalm::
Wishful thinking has got me a few times for sure! ::dang::
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

Yep I have lived in a dream world also, looking.... thinking maybe just maybe there is something there I can salvage. Get the knife or knives in and have to add them to my parts. But the more parts you have the better chance you have to help someone or yourself restore/rebuild something later so there is a small silver lining it just may take a while to see it. Disassemble and store and wait.
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
Pile Driver

Post by Pile Driver »

I paid ~$100 BIN for my first coke bottle hunter which I thought I got the jump on a recently listed Tested XX era Case on eBay. Turns out it was a heavily taken down case blade in an American Knife and Sheer Co frame. It's got some good parts but it just sits in a drawer. Live and learn. I also payed up and bought a lot of what I thought were old Case knives as an investment as safe queens but they were all forgeries, that one really hurt I almost decided to stop collecting and liquidate. I guess I'll leave old Case knives to the pros lol.
Attachments
case coke.jpg
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

bestgear wrote:
Right you are!! That's what I would do with them. I think the POS roundtable is a great thing!!
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

OLDE CUTLER wrote:
bestgear wrote:
Right you are!! That's what I would do with them. I think the POS roundtable is a great thing!!
Sounds like fun for sure. BUT you would have to sent out 15 and only get 10 POS knives in return to come out ahead....LOL
And than, I keep reading where somebody gets a nice knife during the POS exchange. I would feel bad if somebody sent me something nice after I sent out a BIG STEAMING pile to somebody..... LOL.
(Does sound like fun though..... I might have to jine in next time.)

bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

It is fun Mike and you can participate in any way that you'd like meaning that you can send out all POS's or add one "gem" to the steaming pile - your call. I keep a box of POS's and I usually send 10-12 during the swap.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

bestgear wrote:It is fun Mike and you can participate in any way that you'd like meaning that you can send out all POS's or add one "gem" to the steaming pile - your call. I keep a box of POS's and I usually send 10-12 during the swap.
LOL... I guess I need to start me a POS box then.
Yep, does sound like fun...

Mike
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

I just saw a knife identical to this one on Facebook.

Same handles, same pattern, same shield, same Streamline stamping. The knife appears to be correct. The Facebook knife has two blades.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Pile Driver wrote: I guess I'll leave old Case knives to the pros lol.
That's exactly what I do!
Bernard Levine says," I know what I know, and I know what I don't know."

When it comes to Case Knives, that is one of the subjects I know, that I don't know. I never pay more for a Case knife than what I would pay for the knife strictly as a user. Because I know that I don't know old Case knives. ::nod::

Sometimes knowing what you don't know saves you more money then the things you do know!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

“In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell

Return to “General Knife Discussion”