Case Tang Stamps

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
toolmaker

Case Tang Stamps

Post by toolmaker »

I am trying to get the name of the "C" on a 2001 russlock.In the 90`s we had the long tailed "C". But in the 2000 that changed to a "C" with a straight line ending with a hook. Is this called a long tailed "C" with a hook ?
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case Tang Stamps

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I've never heard that stamp called anything other than a "90's dotted" or "2000's dotted" stamp, and so on. But I've never heard the "long-tailed C" description applied to anything but a Tested era knife either. Maybe someone that collects newer Case knives than I do has heard a different name for it. ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

toolmaker,
One of the reference pages I keep on my desk has all the Case stamps from 1970 through 2019. The period you are referring to explains the beginning of the "X's & Dot's". The last sentence of the description says: Note the hook on the tail of the "Long Tail C".
"Long Tail C with a hook" should be one we all understand. ::shrug::
Wonder what the 2020-2019 stamp will look like?
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Here is info on Case Tang Stamps from 1970 to 2019. Hope the photo's come out OK
Attachments
Tang Stamp 001.JPG
Tang Stamp 002.JPG
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I think that collectors and users have probably been responsible for naming some of the things that we look for more so than anything that Case has actually written down such as 'Red" Bone or "Green" Bone or the Long Tail C. So without further adieu I here By Christen the 2000-09 tang stamp as The Long Tail C with a hook. :D
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I agree those terms were coined by collectors - you won't find them in old catalogs or literature. You might find references to them in newer Case literature as they have been adopted, along with collector-originated names like "whittler", "sunfish", Railsplitter and others, by Case and other companies. Any time I hear "long-tail C" I immediately think of the Tested XX era, during which Case used the following tang stamps
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (10.55 KiB) Viewed 951 times
You'll notice one of them has a "hook". To collectors of older Case knives, in my experience the term "long-tail C" differentiates those knives from the later (more recent) stampings. So I'm not sure how calling knives from the 2000's decade "long-tail C with a hook" would differentiate these from the Tested era stamp that also has a hook. ::hmm::

There is a good reference to the various more commonly used Case tang stampings and years used here in the AAPK "Research" section. https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/co ... ification/ One of the most comprehensive references to older Case tang stampings I know of is Goins' Encyclopedia of Cutlery Markings.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

John, check your PMs

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”