Knives for Sale/Trade Section

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
XX Case XX

Knives for Sale/Trade Section

Post by XX Case XX »

Most of us already know this, but I see a lot of new members here so I thought I'd mention this:

In the "Knives for Sale/Trade" section, (Personal Ads), if you see a "0" under replies, that generally means that knife is still available because no one responded. If you see a "1" or "2", it shows that someone responded, and most likely it's sold.

However, it doesn't necessarly indicate a sale. It could be that another member just commented on the knife but it's still available. Or, the person who listed it just wants to "bump" it back up to the top so it can be easily seen.

Therefore, if you see a knife listed that peaks your interest, go ahead and click on it and read all the posts. Could be it's still availble when it appeared to be sold.

Hope this helps out some folks. :)

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
kootenay joe

Re: Knives for Sale/Trade Section

Post by kootenay joe »

Mike i do not agree with this part: "you see a "1" or "2", it shows that someone responded, and most likely it's sold."
I think if you check it is more often 'chat' than 'sold'. People here often post something like: "really nice knife but i already spent my knife budget".
The best would be to add "SOLD" to the listing title. Can this be done a few days after posting the knife for sale ?
kj
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

kootenay joe wrote:The best would be to add "SOLD" to the listing title. Can this be done a few days after posting the knife for sale ?
Yes it can, but only for so long. If one of mine sells quickly, I'll do that. If it sells later than that and I can't change the title, I'll simply post "SOLD" on a reply.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Maybe we could have a change in the program to allow the person listing the knife to edit the listing title at any time. This would make things easier for those who are looking at the list of Knives For Sale; no need to click on the ones that say "SOLD". This would be a very big help for those who like myself have very slow internet connection. Sometimes a click takes 2-3 minutes (120 seconds and more) to land & load the next page. Knowing which are already sold would be soooo helpful.
kj
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

kootenay joe wrote:Maybe we could have a change in the program to allow the person listing the knife to edit the listing title at any time. This would make things easier for those who are looking at the list of Knives For Sale; no need to click on the ones that say "SOLD". This would be a very big help for those who like myself have very slow internet connection. Sometimes a click takes 2-3 minutes (120 seconds and more) to land & load the next page. Knowing which are already sold would be soooo helpful.
kj
I'll second that. I see no advantage to a limited time frame to edit posts. A time stamp stating when the post was last edited is sometimes helpful on rare occasions too.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Railsplitter wrote:
kootenay joe wrote:Maybe we could have a change in the program to allow the person listing the knife to edit the listing title at any time. This would make things easier for those who are looking at the list of Knives For Sale; no need to click on the ones that say "SOLD". This would be a very big help for those who like myself have very slow internet connection. Sometimes a click takes 2-3 minutes (120 seconds and more) to land & load the next page. Knowing which are already sold would be soooo helpful.
kj
I'll second that. I see no advantage to a limited time frame to edit posts. A time stamp stating when the post was last edited is sometimes helpful on rare occasions too.
Yes this would be a very good change.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Railsplitter wrote: I'll second that. I see no advantage to a limited time frame to edit posts. A time stamp stating when the post was last edited is sometimes helpful on rare occasions too.
You'll have to ask Bryan. There may be limits set up by the software that can't be changed or he may have a reason for the current limits. You have 48 hours to edit your post. If it goes beyond that and you feel you have a need to edit the post, you can always report the post and ask a Mod to edit it for you.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Regardless of the number of replies, I click on them - I want to see what I missed!!
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I'm with you Suitcase. I click on the black arrow in front of the thread name (indicating there are posts I have not read) and it takes me to the first post I haven't read and I go from there. I think there are people who don't do that, sometimes indicated by the content of their post.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Sure sometimes you want to see the knife whether sold or not, however a "SOLD" added to title would be most helpful for many of us. I will look for the way to contact Bryan whose site this is. Don't know where his contact button is, so i'll look around.
kj
TwoFlowersLuggage

This forum runs on phpBB, which is a very, very popular open source forum system. There are a ton of addons available, and I have no doubt the ability to put a "last edited" stamp on a post is possible through either the base SW or an addon...

...HOWEVER...

It is also clear to me that the AAPK forum is pretty heavily customized. That is a two-edged-sword. It means it has many custom features we all love, like the stores & sponsorship badges - BUT - it also means doing upgrades to the latest version of the base SW and/or installing add-on modules might be a huge job that runs the risk of breaking the forum.

Been there, done that, and I have the scars to prove it... ::nod::
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

All that software stuff is just HPFM to me. I took two semesters of COBOL about 25 years ago. 1st semester I had a terrific instructor and did well. 2nd semester I had a really bad instructor (she couldn't explain how to open a door) and barely pulled a C out of it. Did an accelerated course in 'C' the next semester (two semesters stuffed into one) and did fair. Business picked up at my place of employment and I went back on the road so I dropped the class. No more of that programming stuff for me. I'll stick to the hardware.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:This forum runs on phpBB, which is a very, very popular open source forum system. There are a ton of addons available, and I have no doubt the ability to put a "last edited" stamp on a post is possible through either the base SW or an addon...

...HOWEVER...

It is also clear to me that the AAPK forum is pretty heavily customized. That is a two-edged-sword. It means it has many custom features we all love, like the stores & sponsorship badges - BUT - it also means doing upgrades to the latest version of the base SW and/or installing add-on modules might be a huge job that runs the risk of breaking the forum.

Been there, done that, and I have the scars to prove it... ::nod::
phbBB is the same base software the Case Collectors Club forum runs on. I believe it's a more "out-of-the -box" with few frills version. On the Case forum you can make edits to your posts until the next poster after yours makes a post in that thread. After that you can still edit your posts but an "edited time and date stamp" note is added. I don't think there's any limitation on number of edits nor any time limit on making edits. Based on that my guess is Bryan has maybe turned that switch off, or as TFL has suggested, other software changes have possibly rendered it non-functional.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
TwoFlowersLuggage

I could go on for pages about my software war stories, but that's getting pretty far off topic. It's been a long time since I made my living slinging code, but back in my prime I was proficient in C, C++, Java, Fortran, Basic, php and several forms of assembler. I knew enough in another half dozen technologies to hack in simple mods. Most of this was in the pre-Windows days, when things were MUCH simpler. And, my code was mostly "engineering code" - meaning that it didn't need to be bullet-proof enough for the unwashed masses to use. It was more like an ugly knife with a really strong & sharp blade - if it does the job, no one cares what it looks like!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I used the "contact us" button at bottom of page and sent a message asking to change 'edit' parameters to allow "Sold" to be inserted at any time into listing title. I will let you know the outcome.
kj

Return to “General Knife Discussion”