eBay/Misleading Discriptions

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
XX Case XX

eBay/Misleading Discriptions

Post by XX Case XX »

From time to time I scan Case knives on eBay and read the descriptions. I'm surprised at how many descriptions are wrong. These are the two worst:

1. Jigged Bone that's really Delrin.
2. Red Bone that's not red bone, usually Chestnut.

I wonder how many times sellers get messages from previous buyers telling them the knife was not as described. I also wonder how that conversation turns out. Like many of us here, I used to message the seller and tell them their descriptions are not correct, but after a few "mind-your-own-business" replies, I stopped.

Now I just laugh when I read those terrible descriptions and say to myself: Good luck with that... :roll:

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: eBay/Misleading Discriptions

Post by Railsplitter »

I did something similar once, but different. I stumbled upon an auction for a Case knife and as I was reading the description I noticed that the seller mentioned that she had inherited a bunch of Case knives and would be listing a lot more in the near future.

I also noticed that in the title she was only including the item number from the box and not the pattern number. Her auctions were ending with no bids so I sent her a message and told her that if she simply adds the pattern number to the title a lot more people will see it because collectors often use the pattern number when searching but rarely use the item number. I told her that I just did a search for the pattern number she had listed and her knife did not come up on my search because it wasn't in the title.

She was very friendly about it and she actually took my advice so I watched several of her auctions for a month or so and she did have much better results.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

I think there is just too many sellers out there that go out on the net and dredge up "knife related words" so they can pretend they know what they are talking about. Nothing but a draw to their auction by words in the title. I have searched "CASE" before and see some titles that have several brands listed. Then you look at the actual item and it's not a Case or a Schrade or anything remotely related to those brands.
Of course the words RARE and SCARCE have always got to be included in the titles. That is the thing that aggravates me....
harumph...

Mike
:x
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Meridian_Mike wrote:Of course the words RARE and SCARCE have always got to be included in the titles.
I read a description the other day on a Case knife. It said "Rare Blade Etch". It wasn't even plain English, it was some abbreviation. Then he went on to say he didn't even know what it meant. Well, if you don't even know what it means, how do you know it's rare? :roll:

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

You guys are looking at this the wrong way - when I see auctions like that, I see an opportunity! These issues will often make knowledgeable collectors (like all of you) steer away from bidding. That allows me to grab the knife for a lower price. As the saying goes, "read the knife" - if I know the knife is Delrin, and it is a good price for a Delrin knife, then what the description says doesn't matter! :D
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Ebay is great theatre. A few years ago I copied this text from a seller's listing. Enjoy. :shock:

"SCHRADE HISTORY: Schrade knives are certainly one involving America’s finest knives whose features received value through nationwide and also the globe at the same time. Founded in 1975 by Stewart Taylor, your Taylor Brand names possess created, allocated and also created high-quality knives which have slept higher than the game. Having its technologically advanced components, carbon metal knives have been the delight involving Schrade knives. Hand-crafted together with utmost detail, Schrade knives have created a name that is certainly regarded all over the world.
Having a number of models to be able to appeal to diverse discerning style, the particular SCHRADE KNIVES customized knives in order to meet the requirements of the buyers who will be either enthusiastic cutlery collectors as well as first-time people that are impressed using its overall performance. Deals with tend to be involving stag, metal, acicular bone, mommy of gem, buffalo grass horn, black and other durable resources that will tolerate fantastic force without suffering appearance. Getting one of these is sure to keep the collection a single chef’s knife seeking much better. Schrade has been supplying knives for civilians and troops likewise going back hundred years ago. However, these people never have usually tried it under the parent firm they are now under. That they used to be an independent company and have already been doing this beyond Ellenville, New York since the year 1904. With regards to three decades previously, they joined up with Jones and Wesson within the father organization Taylor Makes, in the Appalachian mountains of Kingsport, Tennessee. Because his or her brand modified does not always mean Schrade knives have grown to be any a smaller amount capable of ending up being named among the best knives on the market. They have interpreted their unyielding good quality to the modern day manufacturing techniques, bringing about more offered, exceptional knives that any of our fantastic grandparents will be proud to obtain. Unfortunately, it wasn’t constantly an even path with regard to Schrade. Several blade hobbyists scrambled to acquire a common cutlery while that for series. Tiny do they already know Taylor Brands would likely rapidly choose the model upward off the floor, pull out their own graphic, and initiate manufacturing knives below their own industry name once more.
That old Schrade knives, LIKE THIS ONE, tend to be well-known knives using this brand name. It’s been useful for the particular military as well as legislations enforcements due to the sturdiness as well as reliability. It has saw-cut addresses along with dime increases. Additionally, it has an inlay safeguard where the old timers press has become engraved. Considering that the manufacturing involving Schrade knives was halted. There are only a few of those that you can seldom uncover and you’ll need to look up well on the internet and using specialized retailers to get a single Schrade knife."
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Cal that has got to be the product of an early Mongolian to English translation app! :D
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

Maybe the best ad copy ever written. Makes me want to carry a Schrade tomorrow.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Fixed it for you...

SCHRADE历史:Schrade刀肯定是一个涉及美国最优秀的刀,其功能通过一次全国范围内的值,并在同一时间全球好评。由斯图尔特·泰勒,泰勒成立于1975年,你的品牌具有创造,分配和也创造了具有不同于游戏睡更高的高品质刀具。有其技术先进的部件,碳金属刀已经涉及Schrade刀喜悦。手工制作以最大的一起详细,施拉德刀已经创建了肯定是认为世界各地的名称。
具有大量的模型,以便能够吸引不同品位的风格,特别是SCHRADE刀定制刀,以满足买家的要求谁将会是既热情餐具收藏家以及正在使用的整体印象深刻首次人性能。与交易往往会涉及到雄鹿,金属针状宝石的好妈妈,野牛草,喇叭,黑,将忍受梦幻般的力而不遭受外观等耐用资源。获得其中之一是一定要保持集合的单个厨师的刀寻求更好。 Schrade一直供应平民和军队同样可以追溯到一百多年前刀。但是,这些人从来没有尝试过,通常它的母公司,他们现在是下下。他们曾经是一个独立的公司,并已经这样做超出埃伦维尔,纽约自1904年对于此前三个十年,他们加入了琼斯和韦森组织父亲泰勒使得阿巴拉契亚山脉中田纳西州Kingsport。因为他或她的品牌修改并不总是意味着Schrade刀已经成长为任何能够结束了一个较小的值是在市场上最好的刀之中而得名。他们解释他们的不屈品质的现代制造技术,带动更多的提供的,特殊的刀,任何我们精彩的祖父母将自豪地获得。不幸的是,这不是经常,甚至对于施拉德路径。几个刀片爱好者争先恐后地获得,而该系列的共同餐具。品牌微小做他们已经知道泰勒很可能会选择模型快速向上脱离地面,拔出自己的图形,下面开始自己的名字制造业刀一次。
那个老Schrade刀,像这样的,往往是使用这个品牌的名字知名刀具。它已经为特定的军事和执法行动的立法有用由于坚固性和可靠性。它有锯刀切割的地址与毛钱的增加而。此外,它有一个镶嵌保障,其中老前辈按已成为刻。考虑到涉及Schrade刀具制造被叫停。只有少数那些可以很少发现的,你会需要查找以及互联网和使用专业零售商获得单Schrade刀上。
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
just bob

Post by just bob »

Some years back I took the time to tell an ebay seller that his knife did not have bone handles, but they were Pakkawood. they responded that I was in error and that they checked with the Case web site and that any Case knife beginning with the number 6 according to Case was bone. I learned from that experience to myob. Case has brought some of this confusion upon themselves. The accuracy of the description actually is relevant to the experience of the buyer. It's one thing for a seasoned collector to know immediately that the information is bogus and the knife has issues or is a bargain. It is quite another situation when a novice collectors buys a description hook, line, and sinker and sours on the hobby because they got stung really bad on a major purchase. A few years back at the knife club meeting the son in law of one of the regular members brought in a pearl handled Case knife he had bought on ebay. He was very proud of it and told us the seller said it was extremely rare, so rare in fact the pattern was not listed In the book with pearl handles. The reason it wasn't listed in the book was because Case never made the pattern with pearl handles. It was very obvious that the handles had been added at a later date. Not a worthless knife by any means, but a knife a serious collector would avoid. I suppose the young man learned a valuable lesson from his experience. Good pictures and accurate descriptions create a level playing field for all prospective bidders.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Now that I read that, I'm on the hunt for a deal that tends to be involving mommy of gem. Or maybe some of that difficult to find these days, buffalo grass horn. Does anyone have one of these in their collection they would be willing to sell?
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:Fixed it for you...

SCHRADE历史:Schrade刀肯定是一个涉及美国最优秀的刀,其功能通过一次全国范围内的值,并在同一时间全球好评。由斯图尔特·泰勒,泰勒成立于1975年,你的品牌具有创造,分配和也创造了具有不同于游戏睡更高的高品质刀具。有其技术先进的部件,碳金属刀已经涉及Schrade刀喜悦。手工制作以最大的一起详细,施拉德刀已经创建了肯定是认为世界各地的名称。
具有大量的模型,以便能够吸引不同品位的风格,特别是SCHRADE刀定制刀,以满足买家的要求谁将会是既热情餐具收藏家以及正在使用的整体印象深刻首次人性能。与交易往往会涉及到雄鹿,金属针状宝石的好妈妈,野牛草,喇叭,黑,将忍受梦幻般的力而不遭受外观等耐用资源。获得其中之一是一定要保持集合的单个厨师的刀寻求更好。 Schrade一直供应平民和军队同样可以追溯到一百多年前刀。但是,这些人从来没有尝试过,通常它的母公司,他们现在是下下。他们曾经是一个独立的公司,并已经这样做超出埃伦维尔,纽约自1904年对于此前三个十年,他们加入了琼斯和韦森组织父亲泰勒使得阿巴拉契亚山脉中田纳西州Kingsport。因为他或她的品牌修改并不总是意味着Schrade刀已经成长为任何能够结束了一个较小的值是在市场上最好的刀之中而得名。他们解释他们的不屈品质的现代制造技术,带动更多的提供的,特殊的刀,任何我们精彩的祖父母将自豪地获得。不幸的是,这不是经常,甚至对于施拉德路径。几个刀片爱好者争先恐后地获得,而该系列的共同餐具。品牌微小做他们已经知道泰勒很可能会选择模型快速向上脱离地面,拔出自己的图形,下面开始自己的名字制造业刀一次。
那个老Schrade刀,像这样的,往往是使用这个品牌的名字知名刀具。它已经为特定的军事和执法行动的立法有用由于坚固性和可靠性。它有锯刀切割的地址与毛钱的增加而。此外,它有一个镶嵌保障,其中老前辈按已成为刻。考虑到涉及Schrade刀具制造被叫停。只有少数那些可以很少发现的,你会需要查找以及互联网和使用专业零售商获得单Schrade刀上。
LOL.... now that just got my day going with a smile!
Love it.....

Reminds me of the assembly instructions for anything now-a-days.... It takes so much time to FIND the english version in that book of propaganda. SO, I just use the seat-of-the-pants assembly method and if I get stuck, the I hunt down the english words WHICH ARE USUALLY translations from chinese or korean.
What a mess.....
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Cletus Awreetus

Post by Cletus Awreetus »

I have no doubt going forward from this day to the next I'll not only add 'mommy of gem" to the lexicon but will use it in many more instances than describing handle material. Bill Shakespeare would be proud and without question, a knife collector..
-the problem with society today is, no one drinks from the skulls of their dead enemies anymore..-
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I always welcome any corrections to my knife descriptions on eBay. So please never hesitate to point out a mistake. Even a seasoned knife collector doesn’t know everything there is to know. I too made a mistake on the exotic woods that Case uses, since the code is the same for bone. Fortunately someone who knew this pointed it out to me and I immediately corrected the mistake, and I thanked that person who pointed it out. Anyone who says myob is either ignorant or they just don’t care.
That Schrade description is unbelievable. It reads like a scam email. I expected to see that Warren Buffet wanted to give me millions or a Nigerian Prince needs my help stashing money at the end of that description.
Mark
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Warren and the Nigerian wrote you too!
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Yes Warren Buffett says he wants to give away billions of dollars.
I always wondered how the superrich sign their letters. He actually signs it Warren Buffett Multi-Billionare.
Who would have guessed that rich people sign letters that way?
Mark Hale multi thousandare.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan

Return to “General Knife Discussion”