forum and topic subscriptions

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
tongueriver

forum and topic subscriptions

Post by tongueriver »

I poked around for 20 minutes and I can't find a place to do it. Under "Manage subscriptions" I could find nothing 'hot' to click on. ?
KnifeSlinger#81

Re: forum and topic subscriptions

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Click on the arrow next to this little wrench and it will show the option to subscribe.
IMG_0645.PNG
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Thanks, Paul; I see how it works for topics. Maybe it does not for entire subforums?
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

I don't think it works for entire subforums, but I am far away from knowing everything.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Been here over 6 years as an active member but normally like to keep it simple.
That said, what is the user benefit/ experience when subscribed to a topic or thread? Honestly have no clue. How do the bookmarks work also.

Thanks, Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

When you are subscribed to a topic and gives you an option of being notified by email anytime someone posts to that topic.
I believe the default is it notifies you but you can turn off the notification if you wish.
Just the other day I got an email notification that someone had posted to a topic that I was subscribed to. The topic was about 10 years old and no one had posted to it in years. It was nice to see some old friends again.

If you are subscribed to a forum it will notify you by email every time someone post a new topic in that forum.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

zp4ja wrote:Been here over 6 years as an active member but normally like to keep it simple.
That said, what is the user benefit/ experience when subscribed to a topic or thread? Honestly have no clue. How do the bookmarks work also.

Thanks, Jerry
Jerry if there is a topic you are specifically interested in you can bookmark that topic and you will receive a notification each time that topic is posted in.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

gsmith7158 wrote:
zp4ja wrote:Been here over 6 years as an active member but normally like to keep it simple.

Thanks, Jerry
Jerry if there is a topic you are specifically interested in you can bookmark that topic and you will receive a notification each time that topic is posted in.
Yes, it works great for sale threads too if you happen to check emails more often than the forum or if you have a smart phone that alerts you each time you get a new email.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

orvet wrote:When you are subscribed to a topic and gives you an option of being notified by email anytime someone posts to that topic.
I believe the default is it notifies you but you can turn off the notification if you wish.
Just the other day I got an email notification that someone had posted to a topic that I was subscribed to. The topic was about 10 years old and no one had posted to it in years. It was nice to see some old friends again.

If you are subscribed to a forum it will notify you by email every time someone post a new topic in that forum.
Dale, I think your last sentence is what Cal is asking about. He knows how to subscribe to a thread but how do we subscribe to a forum?
Rick T.

Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I found it. Once you have the forum opened, scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page. There's a box near the lower left.
Rick T.

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

For all those who "subscribe" to the 'Picture is worth a thousand words' philosophy of life'.
Attachments
Subscribe to a Forum Annotated.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

That did the trick! ::tu:: Thank you!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Surely subscribing to an entire forum would give you 'too many' notifications ? Seems easier to me to just check the forum for new posts which will be in the top thread, or threads.
kj
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

kootenay joe wrote:Surely subscribing to an entire forum would give you 'too many' notifications ? Seems easier to me to just check the forum for new posts which will be in the top thread, or threads.
kj
I'm inclined to agree to some extent. When this thread started and I learned how to use the forum subscription I subscribed to the Knives For Sale forum just to see how well it works. It's a nice feature but like you said, I would see any new posts anyway as soon as I click on the New Posts tab which I do every time I visit here.

The only difference is that if I have a notification I will look at that first. If I happen to be interested in the knife for sale I'll see it maybe a minute or two before I would if I wasn't subscribed. It's unlikely but it might help me get first dibs on a knife although the timing would have to be just right for it to make any difference.
Rick T.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”