favorite knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Berryb

favorite knife

Post by Berryb »

Everybody here likes knives, all kinds of knives. I expect most have a favorite, one you pick up every time you go through your pile. That's the one I want to see. Lots of favorites are heirlooms- and rightfully so, but I want to see the the ones that the most important feature is not the previous owner. What I'd like to know is what you really like and why. Here's mine....
I'm a sucker for home made stuff. This knife began as a 4 blade Keen Kutter. After a lot of looking at it I think I know what happened. At some point the two larger blades broke. The replacement blades seem to be ground out of a file, but they were not just cobbled up. They have half stops, swedges, and nail nicks, and they are a dead match to the springs. They are also offset to perfectly fold into place. The guy was a real craftsman, and proud enough of his work to stamp his initials on the tangs. Then he got it all back together without chipping or cracking the stag handles. There are enough minor flaws to show that the guy was not a pro knife mechanic, but he fixed it and put it back to work. It's got a shine to it that can only be gotten from many years in a pocket.
I can see where this knife would end up in a lot of POS piles, but I'm a little weird and I like it.
Bruce
Attachments
cac 1.JPG
cac 4.JPG
cac7.JPG
XX Case XX

Re: favorite knife

Post by XX Case XX »

Berryb wrote: I'm a little weird and I like it.
I can certainly understand that. Like I always say: "Whatever does it for ya". My favorite is a USA Era Case 5392. Stag handles that are very worn. Very solid knife, well made. Great snap, no blade wobble. I have nicer looking Case but for some reason, and I don't know why, this one just calls to me. There's just something about this knife.

5392X2.jpg
5392X4.jpg
5392X3.jpg
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I've got an old red bone peanut that falls into this category. When I got it, the primary blade had been shortened - but darn it, this knife just feels awesome in my hand. It is my favorite carry knife.
IMG_20180208_204453.jpg
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
big monk

Post by big monk »

I carry this GEC Stag Scout*, as my favorite ( picked out the stag & it was the first knife,I had MM re-handle for me**) -- carry it almost everyday during deer season,"call it my lucky knife"" -- been sharpened a lot,blade getting thin,but I still polish & keep her shiny !!! :)
Attachments
GEC #73 Stag.jpeg
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

big monk wrote:I carry this GEC Stag Scout
Cool photo Monk. ::tu::

________
Mike
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Technically I have a two small(ish) groups of favorite knives, and the groups are separate between my favorite collection knives and my favorite user knives. My favorite collection knives WOULD be among my favorite user knives, but it would be a shame to use them up so I won't. That being said, here's my favorite knife overall.
IMG_1311.JPG
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Favorite knife??? ::hmm:: The one I have in my hand when I need it!!! :wink: :lol: Man.. That's like picking my favorite kid!!! ::facepalm:: :lol: John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I'm with John. Here's my favorite knife.
Attachments
HOMSAFE.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Hard to pick one favorite but this one has been an everyday carry for many years. George Wostenholm I*XL jack. Nicely darkened and smoothed stag handles;one of which was repaired many years ago around the center rivet with some cutler's cement(brick dust,beeswax,&resin).Blades are fairly full but pitted with half stops on the master blade.Scary sharp and snaps like a mad gator.Don't even remember where I got it but know I'll never let it go.Bet it could tell some tales.
Attachments
WostenholmIXLJack2018 001.jpg
WostenholmIXLJack2018 002.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Here's a Case 63047 that based on the amount of pocket carry it gets must be my favorite. I have several in my EDC rotation but this is the one I pick up most of the time.

Ken
Attachments
image.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I have been reaching for this knife for many months now. It's such a little keeper. It's rock solid at 3 5/16".
Half stops on both blades and it is quite snappy. Made from 1920-1931 in Walden, New York it was the second line of knives after the Hammer brand. Did I mention the beautiful covers. All that and because my sons name is River makes it special to me.
Attachments
DSCN0320.JPG
DSCN0323.JPG
DSCN0325.JPG
DSCN0330.JPG
DSCN0332.JPG
DSCN0334.JPG
Joe
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Great knives being posted in this thread!
Like everyone has said, sure tough to pick just one, but this 2005 bonestag Case 75 stockman in CV has rode quite a few miles with me, and all of the wear and patina on the blades and handles are honestly earned, still solid as a rock with hopefully many years of use ahead.
Attachments
20170620_172421.jpg
20161029_104935.jpg
20160826_153506.jpg
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Maybe one of these ::paranoid::
Attachments
IMG_0520.JPG
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

garddogg56 wrote:Maybe one of these ::paranoid::
My goodness Garddog!! Nice collection!! :) Fine problem to have I would say!! :)
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

garddogg56 wrote:Maybe one of these ::paranoid::
Awesome picture. I would love to display like that someday, I would probably spend most of my time at home in that room :D
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Interesting selection of knives here. This one has probably spent more time in my pocket than any other over the last year. Nothing special about it: Delrin handles and a bit used. The walk and talk is perfect for me, and that matters a lot to me. Opening the blades is a pleasure instead of an exercise in avoiding injury, yet there is still a very pleasant snap when I close it!
Attachments
Schrade 804
Schrade 804
Mel
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Dinadan wrote:Interesting selection of knives here. This one has probably spent more time in my pocket than any other over the last year. Nothing special about it: Delrin handles and a bit used. The walk and talk is perfect for me, and that matters a lot to me. Opening the blades is a pleasure instead of an exercise in avoiding injury, yet there is still a very pleasant snap when I close it!
Nice ole whittler there D. I like it. ::tu::
Knife Nut
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Knife Nut »

Garrdogg, I enlarged your photo and spent a half hour just taking it all in. All I can say is WOW!
I just don't have the "hang me down things" to display my knives like that. Fortunately, or unfortunately, my knives are all tucked away in a large fireproof file cabinet therefore I really don't get to enjoy them like you do yours.

Paul
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Thanx Paul here's the individual shelves in the glass display case my wife gave me for Christmas :)
Attachments
IMG_0521.JPG
IMG_0522.JPG
IMG_0523.JPG
IMG_0524.JPG
IMG_0525.JPG
IMG_0526.JPG
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

great stuff guys!!!
Bruce
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Gdogg, that is a great bunch of knives! Love lookin' at these kind of pictures and being nosey, checkin' out little things on the bench, etc.. see a Lansky on the bench along with a Tri-hone on a lower level. And the little knife holders made from branches are a neat idea. ::tu::

Berryb,
I suppose my favorite knife that has no special sentimental attachment is this old Queen #49 that came from an antique mall about 5 years ago, it gets a lot of EDC time:
3-23-13  1642.JPG
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
sunknife

Post by sunknife »

Not sure that I have an absolute favorite knife.......,but if I had to start parting with my knives one by one this Camillus EO jack might just be the last to go. ::undecided::
Attachments
Camillus  - 1.jpg
Camillus - 7 - 1.jpg
Camillus-1 - 1.jpg
Greg
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

sunknife; That's a 5541 military issue, and a dandy one too. That one pushes a lot of my buttons as well. Thanks for showing it.
Bruce
sunknife

Post by sunknife »

Thanks Bruce, I am pretty fond of it I must admit. :)
Greg
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

gd.. All I can muster up is... WOW!!!!! ::woot:: ::tu::

EOs are one of my favorite patterns and you got a FINE on there sunknife!!!! ::groove:: John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!

Return to “General Knife Discussion”