Is there a reference for pocket knife style terminology?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Meridian_Mike

Is there a reference for pocket knife style terminology?

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Hello everyone!

I find myself getting confused with the pocket knife "style" terminology.
A few examples.....

What is a Cigar style knife VS an Equal End Jack, a Cattleman.... etc.
ALSO..
I see some called Swell End Jacks then one just like it called a Harness jack.

Does the difference have to do with the blade complement?

As (I THINK) I understand the Stockman and the Muskrat are different due to the blades. Muskrats have blades that were traditionally used for skinning muskrats.
Then the Trapper has it's own traditional shape (and blade complement??).

ANYWAY.... I looked around a bit on google images and I found one set of images that showed some (shape) styles with names under them but they were too small to read.....(CRAP).

SO..... is there a comprehensive list of pocket knife styles out there, that has images so I can learn a thing or two?

OK.... what style is this one?
ulster 1.jpg
What happens to the style if you add an "easy open" notch?

Mike
(AKA... a little confused)
:?
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Is there a reference for pocket knife style terminology?

Post by Colonel26 »

Mike it can be confusing. Sometimes there are regional variations, a knife might be called one thing in one area and another thing somewhere else. Then some companies may call a pattern one thing and collectors call it something else (Camillus said the 72 was a carpenter whittler, collectors eyes bulge out when you call it a whittler).

A harness jack will have a punch for a secondary blade. It was used to fix harness and other leather goods in the farm.

A stockman has at least three blades, sometimes more. A cattle knife is equal end with three blades and normally under 4 inches.

Muskrats were for skinning all manner of small game, not just muskrats.

That’s my take on a few of them. Of course, I’ve been wrong more than I was right, but that’s what makes sense to me.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
buddyie22

Post by buddyie22 »

I hope you get a lot of response on this question,because I was thinking the very same thing! I’m sure there will be different opinions, because of different ages and different areas, and different locals, but there should be a basic configuration on a basic knife/knives we all can agree on. Maybe there is a book or web site already in place. Looking forward to the answer for sure ::ds::
Honey do you have your pocket knife ? Do I have my pants on?
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Whatever the pattern, if it has an E/O notch I just add the E/O. Ex: Swell end Jack E/O. If there is some more accepted way to do this I am sure someone will come along and put us on the straight and narrow.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Meridian_Mike wrote:
SO..... is there a comprehensive list of pocket knife styles out there, that has images so I can learn a thing or
Yes. It's called Levine's Guide to Knives and Their Values by Bernard Levine. By far the best and most comprehensive book on the subject, IMHO. The 4th Edition seems to be the most favored - it's difficult to find a copy and very pricey if you do. So get the 5th edition which has basically everything that's in the 4th edition but it's typically easier to find a copy for a reasonable price. And you'll learn not only about different knife "styles" but also their history, why they came into being, plus variants, blade styles, handle materials, just about anything you'd want to know about knives of all kinds, and especially pocket knives.

Ken
Attachments
image.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Thanks for those responses everyone!!

Yep, just like I "figgered" ...... it is the book I don't have..... LOL.

Well, I guess my library needs to grow.

A LOT (or maybe ALL) I have learned about pocket knives has come from this site. All you guys have taught me a lot and I APPRECIATE IT!!!
That being said.....
Would it be too difficult to have a reference thread showing an example picture along with the "why it's called that" description along with said picture (????)... Maybe too hard to organize....???? anyway...
Maybe there could be something incorporated into a "beginner" area with a glossary of terms and such..... (just running off at the mouth here).
Seems like I am not the only "inquiring mind that whats to know"......
Just sayin'.

Great examples above Colonel....
::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "Would it be too difficult to have a reference thread showing an example picture along with the "why it's called that" description along with said picture (????).."
Mike it could be done but it would be a very long thread and it would basically be a copy of Levine's book. So this thread you want already exists but it is in old fashioned print format.
Levine's guide to knives is THE ONLY book a knife collector must have. It is the one overall reference on "Knives". It is scholarly and authoritative, like a University program (meaning more than one 'course').
Everyone of us here who seem to know what the proper name is for any/every knife has gotten the information from reading and re-reading Levine's Guide To Knives". It is the best organized, best written reference book on any topic that i have ever read. Every word gives you important info., no fluff or padding, which means every time you read a section you get something that you missed in previous readings.
Knife collecting will be more enjoyable and more meaningful when you have LGK beside you as your guide and mentor.
kj
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

from my files.
Attachments
1-Knife Patterns - Camillus Catalog.jpg
5.jpg
BladeShapes2.jpg
bladetypes.png
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

more,
Attachments
edge1.jpg
file id.jpg
axe1.jpg
axe2.jpg
axe3.jpg
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

kootenay joe wrote:Quote: "Would it be too difficult to have a reference thread showing an example picture along with the "why it's called that" description along with said picture (????).."
Mike it could be done but it would be a very long thread and it would basically be a copy of Levine's book. So this thread you want already exists but it is in old fashioned print format.
Levine's guide to knives is THE ONLY book a knife collector must have. It is the one overall reference on "Knives". It is scholarly and authoritative, like a University program (meaning more than one 'course').
Everyone of us here who seem to know what the proper name is for any/every knife has gotten the information from reading and re-reading Levine's Guide To Knives". It is the best organized, best written reference book on any topic that i have ever read. Every word gives you important info., no fluff or padding, which means every time you read a section you get something that you missed in previous readings.
Knife collecting will be more enjoyable and more meaningful when you have LGK beside you as your guide and mentor.
kj
Thanks so much for that post..... I see what you are saying.

I am getting a Levine's guide. I wish I would have gotten one before now. I noticed in a lot of posts, that replies often had a reference to Levine's so that alone should have been a prompt for me to get one.

My question above was MOSTLY meant to help others that come after me. I know as a green collector, questions abound at first. Hanging around here and asking questions is a good start but getting a Levine's is second order of business....

Thanks again everyone!!

Mike
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Thanks MrWatch for those diagrams..... (I may put a couple of them in my files).....
I already have the "blade grinds and shapes" for my reference.

Mike
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Meridian_Mike wrote: OK.... what style is this one?
Mike
The knife in the OP (Original Post) is what I would call either a Bullet End Jack or possibly a Teardrop Jack.

Good looking knife, BTW! ::tu::
~Q~
~Q~
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

QTCut5 wrote:
Meridian_Mike wrote: OK.... what style is this one?
Mike
The knife in the OP (Original Post) is what I would call either a Bullet End Jack or possibly a Teardrop Jack.

~Q~
LOL.... I guess that question got lost in the translation.....LOL.

Thanks for that because I can't find a lot of info on this knife and I wanted to "categorize" it with the info I actually know. I needed to put a "style" to my file photo.

Yes, the fact that the end opposite the blade hinge is a bit "pointed" was throwing me. That and the blade complement.

Thanks again!
Mike

Return to “General Knife Discussion”