Old Robeson

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Beag1eGal

Old Robeson

Post by Beag1eGal »

Hi everyone. Hope you all had a great Father's day. Have a few questions on an old Robeson I found today. It is a beautiful stag handle big, heavy knife. It is 4 1/4" closed. The number is 522482. It is stamped Robeson Shuredge Rochester,NY
What is this pattern name? Is it a trapper or a big jack knife? The main blade is used some and is short. The second blade has less wear. They are both tight and no wobble. Snaps one and closed. I saw by the tang stamp that the dates are 1946-19565.. I believe as it is block stamping.
Just curious age and would it have some value?
I am attaching pictures and I thank you all.
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_bf2.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_bf3.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_bf4.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_bee.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_be8.jpeg
kootenay joe

Re: Old Robeson

Post by kootenay joe »

I would call this pattern a Serpentine Jack which is often spoken of as a "Dogleg Jack". 4 1/4" is a very large size for this pattern. The dates you give are correct for the block font of "SHUREDGE". Handles are bone with the Robeson 'worm groove' jigging.
There are Robeson collectors here who can tell you much more about this knife and i am sure some of them will post replies.
kj
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I have a 622482 with different covers and different blade patterns.
Your covers are stag, my covers are jigged bone.

I would think the pattern number would be consistent with length of frame and my knife is 4 1/2" closed.
I'm surprised our knives are a different length.

That is a very good looking knife you have.
Attachments
DSCN0231.JPG
DSCN0234.JPG
DSCN0241.JPG
Joe
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Knife should be 4 1/2" long.

Made from circa 1940 to 1965.

This was one of only a very few patterns that Robeson continued to handle in genuine stag after WWII.

Both blades are down a good bit.

This is a dogleg trapper with clip and skinning blades.

Joe's knife is older, pre WWII. Some people call it a half trapper. I think that's a made up collector name. It's a large dogleg jack.

This is what the OP knife looked like when new. Skinning blade or spey, if you wish, was etched "FOR FLESH ONLY".

Charlie
Attachments
522482B.jpg
522482B.jpg (12.54 KiB) Viewed 1123 times
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Beag1eGal

Post by Beag1eGal »

My error, it is 4 1/2 in length. Thank you all so much.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Not being familiar with Robeson, i mis-read the handles as jigged bone. Seeing a real jigged bone example i can see the difference but this Robeson stag i think resembles jigged bone. How did they get the 'worm groove' in the stag to be just like the worm groove they jigged into bone ?
kj
Beag1eGal

Post by Beag1eGal »

FRJ wrote:I have a 622482 with different covers and different blade patterns.
Your covers are stag, my covers are jigged bone.

I would think the pattern number would be consistent with length of frame and my knife is 4 1/2" closed.
I'm surprised our knives are a different length.

That is a very good looking knife you have.
Thank you.. I liked the handles and have always had a soft spot for Robeson knives. I had a great uncle that worked in the Perry,NY plant. I never knew him.but still it is very cool that he worked there. They lived in Mt.Morris, NY
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Yes, that is great that you have a family connection to Robeson.
Robeson knives were very innovative. They made some unique patterns and for the most part they always made a quality knife.
Joe
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

During WWI and for a few years after, Robeson had a second factory in Mount Morris.

Years ago, I was contacted by a man whose grandfather, I think, had worked for Robeson as a salesman. He had his sample roll of knives, but every knife in it had black composition handles and an impressed "ROBESON" logo in them filled with white paint. Robeson produced those knives during WWII and slightly after.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
Beag1eGal

Post by Beag1eGal »

Thank you all for your help! That is cool about the knife roll with black composition handles filled with white paint in Robeson stamp.
They are very well made knives. I have a small 2 blade brown bone with Mastercraft shield.
One of my favorite knives.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”