New Use for Corn Knife ditwtexas style

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

New Use for Corn Knife ditwtexas style

Post by btrwtr »

eBay seller ditwtexas can sure spin a knife in circles and when he doesn't know the particulars or history of a knife he has absolutely no problem making up a ridiculous story to bolster his inflated price sales. There is enough misinformation out there in the knife collecting world without his ridiculous spins.

I learned quite early on in my collecting years that corn knives were made back in the day for shaving corns off of feet. Back when times were tough it wasn't easy to come up with the money for a new and well fitting pair of shoes. It was common for people to develop corns and callouses on their feet as a result of wearing old, worn and ill fitting shoes. The corn knife was made and used specifically for shaving corns and relieving the associated foot pain.

Well ditwtexas has come up with a new use for the old corn knife.
What were they used? Well they had a variety of uses but were commonly found at the fairgrounds at your local County Fair and were only maybe a .10 or so, fair ground patrons would use them to shave and eat the roasted corn sold at various booths for .01-.05 cents an ear. Great Collectible and a testament to the cutlery of yesteryear.
I guess you could shave the corn off the ear at the county fair and then shave the corns from your feet with the same corn knife. All that walking at the fair would make you hungry and also hurt your feet. Just take off your shoes buy the corn and take care of business. :shock:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schrade-Cut-Co ... 1438.l2649

This seller's listings make me cringe. Somehow given the way he describes and prices his knives doesn't lend me to think that this "charity" is run any differently. Given the fact that I lived the better part of my life in the great state of Texas I wish he would drop that part of the name from his listings.

A $15 knife for only $159.99 Buy It Now.
Attachments
ditwtexas.jpg
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
gwelker62

Re: New Use for Corn Knife ditwtexas style

Post by gwelker62 »

The really sad thing about our famous charity seller is.... he does have a LOT of really nice knives for sale. And... some folk are paying his prices. ::facepalm::

Like $300 for this 8OT ::uc::

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schrade-8OT-Pr ... 7675.l2557

And was this Camillus really worth $750??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Camillus-WWI-K ... 7675.l2557
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

There are one or two or more old threads regarding this huckster. At one point I did a little research and his 'charity' was registered in a particular Texas county. There was no record of him providing any kind of charity services to anyone. I searched a bit and he had a blown-up story of taking these poor disabled folk on a big boat fishing. There is no record of that ever happening and it seems that anyone who was interested in going had to PAY him. There is exactly one photograph of a man in a wheelchair. Which he maybe downloaded off Google Images or something. I believe his whole operation is designed as an income tax dodge. I wonder where he got the knives. I think it is possible that he extracted them from one aged collector by some dubious means such as becoming his guardian or durable power of attorney or forged a will or something. Call me sceptical. Whatever I have said here can be regarded as pure speculation; I am not accusing the fellow of anything. ::paranoid::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I'm guuna write Mr. Twit in Texas and tell him he got the corn knife thing wrong. It's called a "Corn knife" because it is what was used to carve the bowl in a Corn Cob pipe. I'll tell him to "put that in yer pipe and smoke it. that Mary Jane you is smokin is messin with your brain".
The corn knife shown is a Schrade Cut Co, might be a $40 knife, max. I have a Corn knife collection, mostly ivory handled. Basically they are a folding scalpel.
kj
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Establishing a 501(c)(3) charitable organization is very easy. I was involved in the founding of one about 20 years ago. You fill out a few forms to establish an LLC and then submit a Form 1023EZ to the IRS. There is most likely a group of friends that are involved to serve as the board of directors. His boat and the expenses of the boat trips and anything else he can think of can then offset the cash proceeds from the knife sales as "charitable activities". As long as you keep the minimum records to maintain the facade of an organization (meeting minutes, separate bank accounts, etc), you are good to go.

The above should not be construed as legal or tax advice... ::paranoid::
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

Or there is always this definition of a corn knife;
https://www.thehenryford.org/collection ... act/43086/
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Everything is bigger in my fair state including shysters.
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

btrwtr wrote:I guess you could shave the corn off the ear at the county fair and the shave the corns from your feet with the same corn knife. All that walking at the fair would make you hungry and also hurt your feet. Just take off your shoes buy the corn and take care of business. :shock:
Too funny :lol: :lol: (Not the seller ::td:: ) ... but the thought of sitting there shaving corn from a cob and then as a break shaving the corns on your feet and returning to eat some more corn makes me want to ::barf:: ::barf:: ::barf:: ... :D

Post by knife7knut »

LongBlade wrote:
btrwtr wrote:I guess you could shave the corn off the ear at the county fair and the shave the corns from your feet with the same corn knife. All that walking at the fair would make you hungry and also hurt your feet. Just take off your shoes buy the corn and take care of business. :shock:
Too funny :lol: :lol: (Not the seller ::td:: ) ... but the thought of sitting there shaving corn from a cob and then as a break shaving the corns on your feet and returning to eat some more corn makes me want to ::barf:: ::barf:: ::barf:: ... :D
As long as you don't inadvertantly eat the corns you cut off your feet you should be all set! :mrgreen:
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

Return to “General Knife Discussion”