Ever regret giving a knife away?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Ever regret giving a knife away?

Post by ken98k »

Have you ever gifted a knife, then had regrets?
A couple years ago I gave away my GEC 47 Viper with green micarta handles, thinking I could get another. ::tear::
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
rea1eye

Re: Ever regret giving a knife away?

Post by rea1eye »

Good question. I was just telling my wife yesterday maybe I will sell my non-stag
Case knives to get more Stag Case knives.

I do wonder if I would regret it. Maybe I should just suck it up and pay for more
stags. I think I would regret it.............

Bob
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Good question, but no. I have given away several knives, some NIB, but I make darn sure I won't miss it first. Either that or I have a duplicate, or several duplicates just in case. If I think I'll regret it, it stays right here. ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
buddyie22

Post by buddyie22 »

I have given Grandsons,Granddaughters,realitives and friends knives. Each time I think why did I do that? After I sit down for a few minuets and think about it I realize it’s because I care for those I give the knives to and it might encourage them to do likewise when given the opportunity. Showing love comes in all types of packages giving a knife (as a collector) is giving part of yourself. And really how many knives do we need? Just look at the Aapk members as we read these blogs how many have fond memories of a friend an uncle,a dad who gave them their fist knife. It’s all good. ::ds::
Honey do you have your pocket knife ? Do I have my pants on?
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

Here's a story that still hurts ... I was going to my childhood best friends fathers funeral. He's not an outdoorsman or knife guy by any stretch. I decided to carry my best "black" knife for the occasion ... it was a gorgeous Case striped ebony swayback jack single wharnie blade - perfectly centered blade, above average snap, nice and tight with NO wobble - just an above average knife by any stretch, top 1% by late model Case standards. I took it out of my pocket and handed it to him to check out and said "this is a perfect knife for a funeral". He looked at it, said thats cool and quickly slipped it into his pocket. On the inside I was ::shrug:: ::dang:: ::facepalm:: but I didn't have the heart to ask for it back on the day of his dads funeral. He wouldn't know the difference between a super primo Case and a $3 flea market knife. Oh well, in the end it's only a knife ... but man, I do miss that one every now and then ...
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

I love to gift knives. Especially to youngsters...with parents permission, of course. Never know when one will get the bug.

We went on a missions trip to South America a few years ago and I took some knives to barter/give away. Met a man in a village who was a weaver. He made woven basket and tools for drying and processing kasava. The only cutting instrument he owned was a single blade from a folding knife. No handle. We have him a knife, and it was better than a child a Christmas.

I suppose that some day I will look back and say, “I wish I had given more knives.”
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

My 1st real experience of giving knives away started probably back in the early 80's, giving affordable Christmas gifts to my maintenance crew and has grown from that point in time. Used to be able to buy some fairly decent knives at a very reasonable price from some of the big well known knife sellers. I always appreciated a good practical gift and short of a "zombie killer" or two I've not been too disappointed because it is the thought that counts.
Back to the giving side, now it has become more personal, grandsons, son-in-law, son, cousins and just plain good friends, even several pastors have become the recipients. No regrets so far! It is always challenging to see some one pull out a pocket knife and actually use it and know they could surely use a better knife. That is when it is great to go dig out a better one or even a NIB and say, "Try this one." Intentionally gifting special knives has been made a lot easier by the likes of Shepard Hills and others who offer so many special handles that commemorate occasions, careers, faith, and the list goes on.
The day may come when I regret giving away one of these old knives I've used so many times to help Bambi out of his uniform. When that day comes, I'll know I've probably been on my last deer hunt. ::hmm::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
blademaker

Post by blademaker »

Ive given away countless knives over the years. Fixed blades that ive made, and folders that were anywhere from cheap to collector. No regrets because they enjoy them and still do. But on the other hand, I do feel your pain, Ive bought GEC s to give away as gifts thinking ill get me one later..... next time Im buying two... one for me also...might be awhile before you find another
Bastler

Post by Bastler »

I've enjoyed giving knives and later thinking about the recipient putting it to good use. I once asked a farmer to pull my truck out of a ditch on a muddy road. When he finished he refused payment, so I gave him a Case trapper. I hope he gets lots of use from it.
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

I gift knives to brothers, coworkers, and a neighbor or too. I gifted a good case knife to my dad who always seems to carry junk. The other day I found the good case knife in his drawer and he still is carry junk! Ha. O well its the thought that counts. Most of my coworkers find my new acquisitions interesting so I have been known to gift ones to those that I think are really appreciative. Good knives can be very expensive and our hobby can be hard on the wallet but I have always enjoyed seeing peoples faces that receive and use a nice knife. I have been gifted knives by others and it sure is a nice surprise. I have never missed a knife that I have gifted because its nice to share my knives and the stories and history behind them. And who knows we might even have a new collector or accumulater to give us knife lover's some competition! :)
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I don't regret any knife I've given away. I do regret selling and/or trading a few over the years. I've got two granddaughters that I've got started collecting knives. The oldest is six years old. Almost every time she comes to visit she asks me if I have a knife for her. I keep a box full of mostly Rough Riders for her and her sister and dole them out one at a time. I've given away a lot of knives to family and friends. I like to think those knives mean something to those who receive them.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
blademaker

Post by blademaker »

Buy the way.... Jerry...Do you have a pic of that Old wooden handle sodbuster that snaps to the next block that I sent you a few years back on our POS roundtable...my PC crashed and love to have a pic of it....

Craig
Edgewise

Post by Edgewise »

Back in the '70s I gave my friend this Puma duesey ( not the same knife in the picture) because I never thought I would miss it so much 45 years later. ::doh::
image.jpeg
I kept the big Puma lockback though.
blademaker

Post by blademaker »

Found it
Attachments
sodbuster.JPG
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Yep. It's in my misc. low end knife roll. I hope that isn't an insult. After all, it was a POS roundtable. :lol: If you're missing it and have a serious case of gifter's remorse, I can send it back to you.
Low Value Roll.JPG
2012 AAPK POS Round Table - All.JPG
The Queen was refurbished and now lives with Philip (Treefarmer).
DSC05383.JPG
The Ulster Scout gave up some of it's parts so another knife could live.

The Leatherman Kick went back to Leatherman and was replaced with a brand new Wingman, no questions asked. The Wingman has now taken up permanent residence on my desk.
On My Desk 12-26-17.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

Tony_Wood wrote:I love to gift knives. Especially to youngsters...with parents permission, of course. Never know when one will get the bug.

We went on a missions trip to South America a few years ago and I took some knives to barter/give away. Met a man in a village who was a weaver. He made woven basket and tools for drying and processing kasava. The only cutting instrument he owned was a single blade from a folding knife. No handle. We have him a knife, and it was better than a child a Christmas.

I suppose that some day I will look back and say, “I wish I had given more knives.”
Wish we had a "like" button
blademaker

Post by blademaker »

No remorse Jerry...none at all. This thread just got me thinking of some of the knives ive given away and wished I had a pic...i looked back at some old posts and found it...enjoy my friend! Love the way that Queen turned out ::tu::

Craig
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

As a collector when you give away a knife I think you are giving a bit of yourself in the process. It does me good to see that knives I have given to family and friends are still owned, used and cherished. A friend of mine that used to help me with shows says he owns more of my hand made knives than anyone and he is most likely right. The knives are a symbol of our friendship.

I've given many knives to youngsters at shows. They will carefully look through cheaper knives that I have piled in a box until they find one or two that they like. After they make their selection I never take their money. The future of our hobby.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

btrwtr wrote:As a collector when you give away a knife I think you are giving a bit of yourself in the process.
Wayne you've hit the nail on the head with this statement. :)
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I had a R1123 bullet knife. Had a chip in the bone handle that had been roughly repaired. I knew I would be disappointed with the price I would have gotten so I gifted it to a friend. I was happy to give it to him, he was happy, and I didn't have to deal with the disappointment of an under selling price. I know the people I've given knives to and I'm always happy that they have them in there collection.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

When the movers finished unloading the last bits of our furniture and boxes last month I called them all together before they departed and handed each of them a vintage pocket knife from my personal collection. All seven of the guys busted their humps for 2 solid days making our transition from Maryland to Delaware as seamless as possible. I watched them for 2 days "share" one utility knife cutting things and figured I could solve that problem. The genuine appreciation on their faces in in their handshakes left me with zero regrets; I'd do it again in a heartbeat!
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
hardman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by hardman »

Actually, my biggest regrets have come from knives that I have donated to charity auctions. I go to a few knife events every year and there are sometimes auctions with all the proceeds going to a deserving charity like Wounded Warriors or other organization that benefits veterans. So, I will consistently donate 1 -3 items, usually knives. The bidding crowd members are all knife collectors. I have often been disappointed at the prices realized. They sometimes sell for far less than I had into them, and well below market. And then I regret having donated the knife and would have preferred to just make an outright donation in the amount of the winning bid. Most sell for more, of course, and that is good.

One thing I have learned is that the items auctioned earlier in the night bring higher prices. I think people's wallets get too thin later in the program.
Gary

"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." Bryan Adams
Bastler

Post by Bastler »

I read this post and it got me to thinking about one I did regret. I gave a girlfriend a Buck Scout and she promptly lost it. Then last night I met with a friend who told me how much he uses the Spyderco I gave him.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I have given a number of knives away; some have been greatly satisfying and some kinda sorta satisfying. I like doing it. Once, however, I sent a 171UH Schrade huge fixed blade with the rare birdhead pommel to a serviceman onbase and (I am talking $200 plus knife here) asked him to cover the shipping. He stiffed me. I hope the sorry SOB fell on it. :x
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

Bad experiences with gifting can certainly leave a bitter aftertaste.
I have given a couple of knives that, immediately, were not appreciated. Just pocketed and walked away.
Two weeks ago, with parents permission, I gave a slipjoint to a young man. He shows it to me every time he comes to church.
He will probably receive another in the future.
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood

Return to “General Knife Discussion”