Paris Bead

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
J529A

Paris Bead

Post by J529A »

Does anyone know anything about Paris Bead knives? I have seen a few on eBay but they do not come up very often. It is difficult to determine quality from a photo. The only information I can find indicates they were c. 1920 in Chicago Illinois. The online catalogs indicate the knives were made in France and their collectibility ranges from poor to medium. Is there any information about the company and quality of their knives? I assume they were not in business very long. My Goins only states Paris Bead Chicago page 173.
Gunsil

Re: Paris Bead

Post by Gunsil »

I have had a few Paris Bead folding hunters and fish knives. They were not made in France. They are fairly well but cheaply constructed, look like Colonial or Imperial made products of the same era. Often very fancy celluloid scales but blades are thin for large knives and they lack nice top grinds or nice swedges whichever you prefer to call them. I think they were contract knives made by one of the two companies mentioned.
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Have read somewhere that Paris Bead was a novelties company and their knives were principally used at carnivals and fairs as prizes, such as those that ringing a standing knife with a small hoop would get you.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
J529A

Post by J529A »

Thank you both very much for the information! I knew it did not make sense these knives would be made in France. Not when they are stamped Chicago Il on the tang. Also, the fact that they are not high quality fits with a novelity knife company and carnival prize knife. The collector catalogs appear to be correct that these are not highly collectable knives. They are sold on eBay as very rare and that may be true. I know just because something is rare doesn't necessarily make it valuable. I still wish I could find out what happened to the company. I saw an online reference that indicated they were not in business very long. Thanks again!

Return to “General Knife Discussion”