Help with eval of St Louis show

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
bocaj

Help with eval of St Louis show

Post by bocaj »

I am thinking of driving 5 or so hours to the St Louis show end of the month.... Can someone share their opinion on what size show and the general friendliness and variety that the show offers. I am pretty new to the collection side and will have lots of questions if I attend. Thanks !!
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Help with eval of St Louis show

Post by Railsplitter »

I've attended the last three years but I'm not going this year. It's a pretty good show. Maybe about 100 tables. Lots of traditional style knives, some tactical stuff, fixed blades, quite a few custom makers usually attend and have tables set up. Grand Prairie Knives is close by and they usually have a table set up at the show.

Queen Cutlery has been there the last two years but I wouldn't expect to see them there this year. I would say the show has a good variety for any type of knife lover. There is usually a guy with a flashlight table set up as well. Mostly Nitecore.

It's a good show and I always get excited when I go. I think you'll enjoy it but 5 hours one way is quite a haul. Hope you can make it.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

I drive 3.5 hours to attend, and have been at the last three shows as well.
Railsplitters synopsis is good. If you come with cash to spend, you can leave with what you came looking for.
The tables are split 40/60 between builders/production. There are some quality builders that are there each year with everything from fixed blades...the majority, to modern style folders, and fewer traditional folder builders. There a few tables of knife building supplies.
The production sales side has almost anything a knife collector could be interested in. Certainly, there are some folks on this site who collect premium and rare pieces that might not be available at a venue such as this. I have never gone away without spending too much, and seeing more that I wanted to buy.
There is usually a good cross variety of ages from young to old. While it is not “Blade” it does not disappoint.
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

I went last year on my way back from CO to NY. I liked the fact that the custom maker guys were in a separate room from the antique/collectable knife guys since I am only interested in antique knives. Sadly, my main interest is antique fixed blade knives and there were very few there and I did not find a single one for my collection. Many of the antique folders were lacking condition in my opinion compared to the Shenandoah show or the now defunct Parker Sevierville show or the NCCA annual show in Mystic, CT. I like the Lewisburg,PA show better too, but perhaps it is simply that the eastern shows have more quality antique knives of all types than mid-western shows. St Louis was the first mid-west show I ever attended, so maybe it has better years than others. If it is custom knives that pique your interest it would be a pretty good show to attend. If it is antique knives you are interested in the Shenandoah show in early April has become a very good show and tables are sold out six months in advance. The big Tulsa gun and knife show in early April is a huge show with some of the country's best knife dealers selling their goods there.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

If anyone is interested but didn't get a flyer, here's a photograph of it.
Attachments
IMG_3848.JPG
IMG_3850.JPG
Rick T.

rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Tony_Wood wrote:I drive 3.5 hours to attend, and have been at the last three shows as well.
Railsplitters synopsis is good. If you come with cash to spend, you can leave with what you came looking for.
. While it is not “Blade” it does not disappoint.

What is Blade?

Bob
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

rea1eye wrote:
Tony_Wood wrote:I drive 3.5 hours to attend, and have been at the last three shows as well.
. While it is not “Blade” it does not disappoint.

What is Blade?

Bob
It is billed as the World’s Largest Knife Show.
http://www.bladeshow.com/

That said, I have never been. Yet.

bdev

Post by bdev »

Railsplitter wrote:
Queen Cutlery has been there the last two years but I wouldn't expect to see them there this year.
Queen is going to be there this year. This was posted on the opening page of their website just below their notice of closure.

Come See Us At Our Next Show

January 27 - 28, 2018
Gateway area knife Show
St. Louis , Mo
Queen City. My favorite! Bruno. ::tu::
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

bdev wrote:
Railsplitter wrote:
Queen Cutlery has been there the last two years but I wouldn't expect to see them there this year.
Queen is going to be there this year. This was posted on the opening page of their website just below their notice of closure.

Come See Us At Our Next Show

January 27 - 28, 2018
Gateway area knife Show
St. Louis , Mo
I saw that but I can't help thinking that they simply forgot to delete it from the website. I wasn't planning on going but I certainly would like to talk to Ryan again. Especially after hearing the bad news about Queen closing. Wouldn't mind buying a knife from him either.

I think I'll email the contact person for the show and see if Queen is still on the roster. Thanks for the nudge, Bruno.
Rick T.

Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

Is anyone headed to Thai show today?
I will be there before lunch.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”