Anyone recognize this?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Anyone recognize this?

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

My brother in law bought a box of stuff at an auction and he gave me this knife that was in the box. Appears to be a Jr. cattleman, 3 3/8" long, black composition handle (one remaining), no visible tang stamp or other markings, nickle silver bolsters, brass liners and center divider, oval shield missing. I realize this may be grasping at straws, but if someone has seen one like this or has a better one, give me a comment. It was probably a nice old cattle knife back in its day. Am thinking of doing a rebuild into a user.
IMG_1841.JPG
IMG_1842.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Landersknives

Re: Anyone recognize this?

Post by Landersknives »

I believe that is a Jim Dandy cattle knife. Sometimes they are stamped Jim Dandy sometimes they are stamped Kutmaster. They have a big shield which reads Jim Dandy. I have three of them and I like them. I don’t have any pictures of mine but I will try to get some. In Goin’s book he list them from 1920-1940. I hope this helps some. ::handshake::
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Landersknives wrote:I believe that is a Jim Dandy cattle knife. Sometimes they are stamped Jim Dandy sometimes they are stamped Kutmaster. They have a big shield which reads Jim Dandy. I have three of them and I like them. I don’t have any pictures of mine but I will try to get some. In Goin’s book he list them from 1920-1940. I hope this helps some. ::handshake::
Wow, that is fantastic that you would recognize this old cattle knife. Would really like to see pictures of yours. Thanks.
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

Here are a few that I have two are Kutmaster stamped and one is Jim Dandy stamped.
Attachments
F66D950D-BE66-4136-B643-556AB0A8F63C.jpeg
46308BF0-74DF-41AE-96ED-0083392B636B.jpeg
BEBB9CC1-9887-4B0D-8BEC-620B8E57C05E.jpeg
5F25AEEC-AECB-4B3D-BD3B-B0A3033CDEDA.jpeg
C40BAFDC-326A-4348-B151-38AE10349703.jpeg
DBF49FB8-A250-4D46-B5B6-3F2F77235FF8.jpeg
2F988A14-871E-4ED8-B113-7A5A3508496A.jpeg
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Landersknives wrote:Here are a few that I have two are Kutmaster stamped and one is Jim Dandy stamped.
Thanks for your photos. I have tried to compare your excellent pictures to my knife and I agree that it sure looks similar. There are a few differences in the shape of the shield, the awl blade, and of course mine is not stamped anywhere. I was also looking at the location of the notch in the rear liner for opening the awl in relation to the oval shield in the front. Maybe this can vary some from one knife to the next in the same batch? Any chance that mine could be someones knockoff of a Jim Dandy knife because it is not marked?
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

I think you have the Jim Dandy model. What I mean by that is I believe yours was stamped Jim Dandy on the tang. A lot of times that tang stamp is not very deep and it wears off easily. I will post a better picture so you can compare. I think yours is wore pretty good but if you enlarge my picture I think you can compare it well enough. Both have the long pull main blade, the back liner blade notch looks to be in the same place, I think you have a Jim Dandy. Could I be wrong, you better believe it but I think I am right. What say ye AAPK?
Attachments
099343B8-58C0-4C62-B198-24FEE810D72F.jpeg
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Yes, I believe that you are in all probability correct. I noticed that your knife that is stamped "Jim Dandy" was much fainter than the Kutmaster stamped ones. And mine is very heavily worn indeed, and I think in comparing mine to your pics that the main on mine has been shortened and reshaped from having the tip broken off. Still I think I can rebuild it into a user. I have some black material to rehandle with that would still give it kind of an original look. Old knives like this one have one foot in the grave and it is kind of fun to pull them back out into "users".
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

For sure Olde Cutler. I love old knives like yours and pulling them out of their current state and to give them life is exciting. I think your knife has great bones. I look forward to seeing it when you are finished with it. I meant no disrespect when I stated it was worn. My favorite knives are worn. I look at them and imagine who might have held them as a tool or as a method of relaxation sitting on a porch whittling the afternoon away. I like pristine vintage knives but they are not my favorites. I love ,the slip in your pocket, much loved, working mans sidekick. Thanks for allowing me to comment/help. ::tu::
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
toolboy

Post by toolboy »

Have had this one for 30+ years - looks like a factory mark
Seems like I have seen other names.
Thanks for looking
Hank Hansen
Attachments
DSC05720.JPG
DSC05721.JPG
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Landersknives wrote:For sure Olde Cutler. I love old knives like yours and pulling them out of their current state and to give them life is exciting. I think your knife has great bones. I look forward to seeing it when you are finished with it. I meant no disrespect when I stated it was worn. My favorite knives are worn. I look at them and imagine who might have held them as a tool or as a method of relaxation sitting on a porch whittling the afternoon away. I like pristine vintage knives but they are not my favorites. I love ,the slip in your pocket, much loved, working mans sidekick. Thanks for allowing me to comment/help. ::tu::
No, no offense taken as I too think this knife is very worn and abused. 2 of yours are made by Kutmaster and are stamped as such. Do you think the one you have that is stamped Jim Dandy was also made by Kutmaster or someone else? Thanks for your help.

toolboy, interesting picture and it is very similar to mine. I don't see any tang stamp on yours either. Any idea who made yours?
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

Can you post a picture of the backsprings on your knife. I am speculating but I think the Jim Dandy knife may have been made by Colonial or Imperial. It is constructed differently than the Kutmaster. I am not sure who produced the Hank knife but I think the shield is a little to narrow to be a match but could very well be made by the same company. I will let you know once you post a pic if they are made the same way. I am going to part out one of the Knives I have so I may have some parts to help with yours. ::handshake::
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Landersknives wrote:Can you post a picture of the backsprings on your knife. I am speculating but I think the Jim Dandy knife may have been made by Colonial or Imperial. It is constructed differently than the Kutmaster. I am not sure who produced the Hank knife but I think the shield is a little to narrow to be a match but could very well be made by the same company. I will let you know once you post a pic if they are made the same way. I am going to part out one of the Knives I have so I may have some parts to help with yours. ::handshake::
Oh-Oh, I tore mine apart this morning, so now it is in pieces. I was able to measure all the parts and they are as follows from front to back:
front liner .030" brass, main butt end spring .100", main blade .073" ???, center divider .030" brass, double end spring .074", awl .072", spey blade .073", rear spacer .030" brass, rear liner .030" brass. You can see there is a problem with a main blade that is narrower than the main spring, so the blade on mine has been replaced before with an incorrect thickness. That is probably why there is no stamp on it.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Landersknives wrote:Can you post a picture of the backsprings on your knife. I am speculating but I think the Jim Dandy knife may have been made by Colonial or Imperial. It is constructed differently than the Kutmaster. I am not sure who produced the Hank knife but I think the shield is a little to narrow to be a match but could very well be made by the same company. I will let you know once you post a pic if they are made the same way. I am going to part out one of the Knives I have so I may have some parts to help with yours. ::handshake::
A couple of pictures of the springs, one inside & one outside. It is just temporarily pinned together at this point. These are OK, or a different angle?
IMG_1845.JPG
IMG_1846.JPG
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

Sorry buddy been kinda busy. Yeah those are great pictures. From the look of your liners and springs I think your knife is better made than my Jim Dandy brand and looks closer to the build of the kutmaster knife. Utica/kutmaster makes really good solid Knives. I can’t wait to see your finished product. ::tu::
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Landersknives wrote:Sorry buddy been kinda busy. Yeah those are great pictures. From the look of your liners and springs I think your knife is better made than my Jim Dandy brand and looks closer to the build of the kutmaster knife. Utica/kutmaster makes really good solid Knives. I can’t wait to see your finished product. ::tu::
In progress. Decided that because the main spring was .100" and the blade in it was .074", that blade has been changed and was not correct. Am in the process of making a new blade from 1095 high carbon. Have a blank cut out and rough fitted, almost ready to cut the shoulder and bevel. Overkill for an old junk knife, probably. Practice at blade making, priceless.
Blade blank rough cut.
IMG_1860.JPG
Blade blank rough fitted to knife.
IMG_1859.JPG
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

That is great work. Excited to see it finished.
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Landersknives wrote:That is great work. Excited to see it finished.
Finished product. Picture of the new blade I made from 1095 high carbon, and of finished knife with black G10 handles. Back from the dead into the world of EDC knives! I sharpened it with the Lansky and it will shave hair, but now to see how long the edge lasts.
IMG_1867.JPG
IMG_1868.JPG
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

That looks great! ::tu::
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
BWT