Disappointed with our USPS

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Disappointed with our USPS

Post by Chase »

Roger,

No fault of yours or Kens. The packages were scanned Monday morning as you say and I couldn't have asked for anything more!

This is clearly the USPS. And it's not my local carrier either....it hasn't even gotten to my town yet. Six days and it hasn't reached my post office....yet they were sent PRIORITY MAIL, and the USPS says it would only be three days. I am not unreasonable and would expect an additional day or two due to the holiday mailings. It just doesn't make any sense for the package to go from Ohio to Pittsburgh, taking 5 days. And then to be sent to DC which is 3 hours drive time right past my home to be turned around and sent back to my hometown...3 hours.

Where is the efficiency in that?

Tom
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

There's no rhyme or reason to USPS, I bough some Dec 3rd got them Dec. 8th got another Dec 3rd and one Dec 6th they are somewhere in the system . ::shrug::
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Like the rest of you I've had lots of long delays and packages going off is different directions than they should in the last few weeks. I've never seen this much trouble getting a package. Its almost amusing to watching the tracking sometimes. Where is my package going to today? :)
David
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Package delivered today!

8 Days to deliver when they charge you for Priority Mail which is supposed to reach you in 3 days!

If I had paid the shipping I would demand a refund!

Tom ::td::
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Typical government run business! They know Christmas is coming for 12 months in advance, hire some more people and gear up! I had a priority box get delivered a year ago from St. Augustine,Fl and it took 2 weeks to get here! I had to do the tracking and found out it went to Cheyenne,Wy by mistake, out for delivery is what they told me, well it went back to Den. Co. then back to north Platte, Ne, then back west to Lodgepole, Ne. What a CF! ::td:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

I got the one I bought on the 6th of Dec. but one I bought Dec.3rd is still in la la land, go figure. ::shrug:: ::uc::
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Over the years, I have had many a strange routes for my incoming mail. I also used to have issues with "Mailbox Shoppers" and "Porch Shoppers" I used to live 55 miles from where I live now. I frequently had packages that would show "Delivered" but were no where to be found. :x Those issues were fixed by getting a PO Box at a PO that accepts packages via any shipper.

Now, if some fool writes the address out in cursive or really poor handwriting, well 1 of 2 things happen - either

-- the computer decides the address is unreadable and the package gets "AUTO-REJECTED" and kicked out of the system into a bin where it sits until a human has time to "fix" the issue. Delays occur.

or

-- the computer "guesses" where the package is supposed to go and off it goes to the guessed at destination and limbo issues will occur.

If the wrong zip code is put on a package, even if the label was printed via a label from the USPS website with barcodes and every thing, all bets are off.

3 years ago, I had a $300 sword go from New Jersey right passed Texas to Los Angeles. It disappeared for a couple of weeks and then popped up in Honolulu HI, sat for a couple of days and then departed Honolulu, never to be seen "again".

As the deadline approached the time limit to file a claim, the seller refunded my money and filed a claim with the USPS and got their money.

6 months later, I got notification that I had a package in that required a signature. I was somewhat confused by the notification as I was unaware of any such package coming in. So, I stood in line to get the package. Out comes the clerk with a large, significantly beaten up box.

Now the clerks at that PO have seen me ship in literally thousands of sharp/pointy objects through the PO, so they are always asking about what was in my boxes if there isn't a long line of customers. Frequently, I'll open the boxes and show them the "unique" pieces, like Patton sabers, faschinenmessers, sword bayonets, WW2 crash axes, etc

Floyd (working with me that day) asked me

"What kind of knives are you getting from Fiji?"

Me - "Fiji? None. Why?"

Floyd - "Well, that's where this one is coming from."

Totally confused, I signed for it and immediately opened it up right there in the PO. Lo and behold, it's the missing sword. For some reason, even with a perfect address label on the box, the sword had gone all the way to the Fiji Islands and back,

Me - "Better get the postmaster. This is that lost sword from last March."

Well, the postmaster came out (not the same one we had 6 months before) and I explained the sequence of events. He just looked me in the eye and said

"I am NOT going to try to figure out what to do with this can of worms. Have a nice day."

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds:: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Finally got the knife bought on Dec.3rd, all the way from Colorado by pony express , l guess. ::shrug::
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Still waiting. Started out in DeRidder, LA and went to Lubbock,Texas???? Hope it gets here before Christmas ::shrug::

The package is delayed and will not be delivered by the expected delivery date. An updated delivery date will be provided when available. Your item departed our USPS facility in LUBBOCK TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER on December 17, 2017 at 12:00 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

Status

In-Transit, Delayed
December 17, 2017 at 12:00 am
DEPARTED USPS REGIONAL FACILITY
LUBBOCK TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER
Change Delivery Instructions
In-Transit, Delayed
Text & Email Updates
Change Your Delivery Instructions
Tracking History
December 17, 2017, 12:00 am
Departed USPS Regional Facility
The package is delayed and will not be delivered by the expected delivery date. An updated delivery date will be provided when available. Your item departed our USPS facility in LUBBOCK TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER on December 17, 2017 at 12:00 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

December 16, 2017, 6:05 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
December 16, 2017, 12:27 pm
In Transit to Destination
On its way to FLORENCE, KY 41042
December 15, 2017, 12:27 pm
December 14, 2017, 12:27 pm
December 13, 2017, 10:27 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
BATON ROUGE LA PROCESSING CENTER
December 13, 2017, 9:12 pm
Accepted at USPS Origin Facility
DERIDDER, LA 70634
December 13, 2017, 8:45 am
Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
DERIDDER, LA 70634
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

It's always interesting to follow the tracking. I sent a Christmas package to my daughter in Lawrenceville, Ga. last Friday, the 15th. The lady at the Chipley post office said it should be delivered on Monday the 18th. So on the 17th, Sunday, the package was on their porch when they got home from church. ::hmm:: Just the opposite of most experiences.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
gino

Post by gino »

This is how bad the postal system has become the knife I purchased arrived and then departed the SAME facility TWICE in two days, I’m still waiting so hopefully it won’t be any more
RIDICULOUS
Attachments
8C6729DF-C03D-4381-81EC-FBE44A998BDD.png
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

gino.. That happened to me a couple yrs ago.. Cranberry sent it to Fla instead of the Rocks.. Fla sent it to Colorado.. Colorado sent it to St. Louis.. St. Louis sent it to Cranberry and I finally got it.. Took 1 1/2 weeks after it left Cranberry.. John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

For all the complaining we do about the USPS, something has to be said about the people that work there and their willingness to help you out IF THEY CAN. I recently made a most egregious error and after some discussion with our local Post Office personnel, it was rectified in no time. I had stopped at our local Meadows Post Office in Sioux Falls and mailed a package to North Carolina. After I had finished that, the next thing on the list was to stop at Menards and pick up a few things. When finished I made my way home and when I came in the house, I laid the USPS receipt with the tracking number on the desk. I also laid the Menards receipt on the desk as I needed to send it in for the 11% rebate. Somehow in my haste and not paying particular attention to the task at hand, I put the USPS tracking slip in with the letter I was mailing and sent it to Menards for the rebate. In a couple of days I was looking for the tracking number for the package to check if it had arrived in NC, and it could not be found. After reconstructing the crime I realized what had most likely happened. So I stopped at the Meadows Post Office the next day and since I had the address I had shipped to and the date, they took a look at their computer records and after I was able to recall that it had cost 11 dollars and change to send it, the gal at the window pushed the button and presto I had a replacement receipt with the tracking number. I then made the comment to her and the fellow that was working the next window, "Its nice to know that there are people who can help you out, even when I do something stupid". which brought a chorus of laughter.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

My son sent a steering wheel to Australia.
Took 6 weeks. Enough said!!
John ✌️
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

I just had a parcel sent from London to Melbourne, Australia. Took six days by Royal British Mail, absolutely great service, 6 days for 10,500 miles. Then once our postal service got their hands on it- 28 Days - to travel 24 miles. That has to be some sort of record. ::mdm:: :)
LDF Knives

Post by LDF Knives »

Howdy folks! I had a package sent to Perth, Australia I sent it on Feb. 9th this year, it got there March 23rd! From Chicago to New York it took 2 WEEKS!!! They must have used the Original Pony Express to take it that long from The windy city to the Big Apple! Then it Sat in NYC for Quite a time, got to Tokyo, then it went to Sydney, it took a long while to get to Southwest Corner of Aussie land, they held it there, took them a week to deliver, where that P O to his home it wasn't more than a hour from his house!!! They must have used Roo's to hop the package there!!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

The USPS has stepped on it's crank again. Got a knife (what else :lol: ) coming from FORISTELL, MO (near SAINT LOUIS MO). It got to the last stop (Palatine, IL) before coming out to Rockford and then it went wonkers. It would have been out for delivery later this morning but now, who knows. ::facepalm::
Attachments
Tangent Combined (Sept 2021).jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
LDF Knives

Post by LDF Knives »

jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:58 am The USPS has stepped on it's crank again. Got a knife (what else :lol: ) coming from FORISTELL, MO (near SAINT LOUIS MO). It got to the last stop (Palatine, IL) before coming out to Rockford and then it went wonkers. It would have been out for delivery later this morning but now, who knows. ::facepalm::
ya know, when we were kids when we travel, we put the stickers on our automobiles, to where we we've been? well maybe the usps should put them on our packages, of the same!! ::nod::
marinaio61

Post by marinaio61 »

LDF Knives wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:22 pm
jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:58 am The USPS has stepped on it's crank again. Got a knife (what else :lol: ) coming from FORISTELL, MO (near SAINT LOUIS MO). It got to the last stop (Palatine, IL) before coming out to Rockford and then it went wonkers. It would have been out for delivery later this morning but now, who knows. ::facepalm::
ya know, when we were kids when we travel, we put the stickers on our automobiles, to where we we've been? well maybe the usps should put them on our packages, of the same!! ::nod::
I rarely get packages big enough for that many stickers.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

marinaio61 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:25 pm
LDF Knives wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:22 pm
Very clever.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
LDF Knives

Post by LDF Knives »

jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:28 pm
marinaio61 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:25 pm
LDF Knives wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:22 pm ya know, when we were kids when we travel, we put the stickers on our automobiles, to where we've been? well maybe the usps should put them on our packages, of the same!! ::nod::
Very clever.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Surprisingly, the last three I have purchased came shockingly fast. 3 days on two of them!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

And the saga continues:
Come on baby. Now go to Palatine and then to Rockford. You can do it, I know you can.
(2) Tangent Combined - Day 2 All (Sept 2021).jpg
(1) Tangent Combined (Sept 2021).jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Will wonders never cease. It's back in Palatine which is the last stop before Rockford. Maybe Monday. Keep your fingers crossed. ::fc::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

::dead_horse:: It finally landed here in town. Unless someone decides to send it out wandering, I should get it tomorrow. ::fc::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “General Knife Discussion”