What kind of knife?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
XX Case XX

What kind of knife?

Post by XX Case XX »

I'm pretty sure this question was asked before, but I don't remember the answer. This looks like a Case 6347 but I can't be certain. Does anyone know what make and model this is?

aapk_member_store_300x250_LI.jpg (114.94 KiB) Viewed 1762 times
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
KnifeSlinger#81

Re: What kind of knife?

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

That looks like a cattle frame, the 47 is a serpentine frame. Beyond that I don't know.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

It kind of resembles an 090 pattern but I don't recall ever seeing one with a long pull. Looks like the Spey blade is shorter too.
Attachments
IMG_2913.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

XX Case XX wrote:I'm pretty sure this question was asked before, but I don't remember the answer. This looks like a Case 6347 but I can't be certain. Does anyone know what make and model this is?
Mike, it was me asking the question before. I didn't get a positive confirmation. My guess is that it is a Case Tested XX 5394 1/2 large cigar pattern at 4 1/4" closed. If it is a 5394 1/2 then it is an uncommon knife to see in my experience. In the attached picture, I combined my knife with the AAPK membership badge with features the knife image you are asking about. The shape of the clip blade looks different, but I would attribute the difference to camera angle and low resolution on the AAPK image.

Rick the 90 is more like an old time 30 pattern at about 3 1/4". I believe there was a 3 blade 30 pattern 6330 (spear instead of clip) made which is very rare, but I don't think a 3 blade stag 5330 was made.
Attachments
Case Tested XX 5394 1/2 with AAPK Membership Badge
Case Tested XX 5394 1/2 with AAPK Membership Badge
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Thanks fellas. Whatever it is, it's a good looking knife. And Ralph, your Tested 5394 1/2 is absolutely gorgeous. My my my... ::tu::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Thanks Ralph!
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Kulrich

Post by Kulrich »

Looks like a Case 6345 Cattle stockman
Freedom: You have the right to be you, I have the right to be free of you.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Kulrich wrote:Looks like a Case 6345 Cattle stockman
When I first saw it, I also thought it might be a 45. After looking at a bunch of 45 1/2 examples, I didn't see a 45 1/2 with a the blade configuration of the AAPK image which is Clip, Sheepsfoot, Spey. The 45 1/2 knives that I was able to review didn't have the Spey and Sheepsfoot simultaneously. The single blade end of _345 1/2 is either a Pen or a Punch in my experience.

I do think it has stag handles so it could very well be a 5345 1/2 with a blade configuration I've not seen before. That's why I was interested to learn what pattern it is in the first place :)
Attachments
Case Bradford 5345 1/2 Spey and Pen
Case Bradford 5345 1/2 Spey and Pen
Kulrich

Post by Kulrich »

Without a measurement it would be very hard to say with confidence. About the time you think you know all the variations out there something else pops up. It could also be a '94 pattern.

Do you have a "Knives & Razors" book by Jim Sargent? Lots of great reference pictures. It has been an invaluable resource for me over the years.
Freedom: You have the right to be you, I have the right to be free of you.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

I do have a couple Sargent's reference books. I end up using the 7th edition the most because it came with a computer (pdf) file that makes it very easy to search. I collect the Case equal end patterns (30, 45, 94) which explains my unnatural level of interest in this topic :)

Return to “General Knife Discussion”