A problem with a substantial purchase! What's a Knifer to do.

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
just bob

Re: A problem with a substantial purchase! What's a Knifer to do.

Post by just bob »

How do you communicate with an ebay seller/buyer unless it is through the ebay message system? Is there another way? They have done away with the direct communication to prevent buying/selling outside of ebay. I tried to get a buyer's email address and ebay kept blocking the message saying it was a violation of policy to exchange email addresses? How do you get that? Once you open a claim are you given the other parties phone number or something? I'm lost here.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

just bob wrote:How do you communicate with an ebay seller/buyer unless it is through the ebay message system? Is there another way? They have done away with the direct communication to prevent buying/selling outside of ebay. I tried to get a buyer's email address and ebay kept blocking the message saying it was a violation of policy to exchange email addresses? How do you get that? Once you open a claim are you given the other parties phone number or something? I'm lost here.
Nothing stopping you from sending an image with your email address in it (or phone number). Although I will say, the only time I ever completed a transaction outside of eBay, I ended up losing my money and didn't get the knife. ::facepalm::
Attachments
Email Address.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Just a little update on this thread. My ordeal is over. A settlement has been reached after some of the most ridiculous accusations and and outlandish claims I have ever heard from an eBay seller. I am in possession of all the items ,I received A partial refund and I am ecstatic that this guy is not my next door nieghbor! ::tease::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Good deal Snuffy, glad that it work out and you got to keep that beautiful knife, now go on and get the other one rehandled in some knice ?. ::tu::
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Pleased that worked out for you Greg. After reading knifaholics experience with ebay it gives me pause to even think about buying there again.
steve99f
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

bighomer wrote:Good deal Snuffy, glad that it work out and you got to keep that beautiful knife, now go on and get the other one rehandled in some knice ?. ::tu::
What Homer said! If it was mine I'd replace the pearl with.........pearl.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

steve99f wrote:Pleased that worked out for you Greg. After reading knifaholics experience with ebay it gives me pause to even think about buying there again.
Steve it has certainly taught me a lesson! Require crisp in focus pictures of all items in the deal and do not buy from seller's that do not provide no questions asked returns. I have been skittish about bidding on anything since this incident occurred but I can feel my addiction screaming to buy a knife. :D
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Good to hear this has been favorably resolved. Really there is no reason to be skittish of ebay. The vast majority of sellers are honest & straight forward. There always are a few dishonest people in all areas of life, including ebay, but they are not the norm.
kj
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

I agree Roland, I've got a couple of dogs off the bay but I had a sneaking suspicion that they were dogs and very little money was involved . I did purchase a Queen all metal utility knife that the back springs were broke, but I got my money back and got to keep the knife, not that I need a broken knife. ::tu::
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

Glad to know it worked out in a manner that you can at least tolerate.

I also agree that there is no reason to be wary of FleaBay.
For an on-line system it is about the safest venue to purchase from but there is a caveat to this... I would NEVER buy anything of high value without seeing it first person. This means EVERYTHING from diapers to a house.

To Me 500.00 is the limit I can bear to have tied up on something that I have not inspected myself so I do not ever spend more than 500.00 on a FleaBay item.
Knock on wood that in 8 years, and 421 purchases I have not been cheated once. I have had three items that I returned, and they were corrected very quickly, and I had one seller that I had to leave poor feedback (3 stars rather than 5) due to very slow shipping (three weeks before a tracking number was posted), and no answers to my questions after purchase.

That's a pretty good track record in my opinion. ::nod::
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!

Return to “General Knife Discussion”