Paper Folder or Budding Knives?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
bronze4u

Paper Folder or Budding Knives?

Post by bronze4u »

Hey guys, So I just received this amazing ring turn 'Paper folder', or 'Budding knife'? This one sadly has a chipped crack scale on one side. Looks to be real bone/ivory. I see it has at some point had the 'hot pin test' I just emailed Bill DeShivs, he thinks it looks like Ivory/bone as well. I will send it out and see if if Bill can match the material for repair/restore. This one is like two smaller ones I have (minus the paddle at the end) I was pleasantly surprised when it arrived much larger than I had thought it would be. Since this one is so unique I posted it under a new topic. Sorry, I didn't want it lost under my ring turn post.

Please let me know any thoughts on it, and, or post any budding/ring knives you might have.

Cheers,

Kirk
thumbnail_IMG_5917.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5908.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5913 - Copy.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5910.jpg
If you’re gonna be dumb... You better be tough!
kootenay joe

Re: Paper Folder or Budding Knives?

Post by kootenay joe »

Bud Grafting knife. The page opener knives i have seen have a longer ivory extension used to slit the fold connecting one page to the next.
kj
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Hard to tell from the pictures but the handle material looks to be some sort of composite material rather than bone or ivory. Can't see any characteristic layering such as usually found in ivory or any Haversian canals as found in bone. Almost too white in color to be natural.I could be wrong though.
I think it may have been a folding bone rather than a budding/grafting knife that possibly was broken at some point and squared off.Most budding knives have a spey blade rather than what looks like a quill knife. Whatever the case it is a nice knife.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have some ivory that shows no grain or wavy lines. Depending on how the tusk was cut and where from outside to center of the tusk, the cuts were made, the grain can be very visible to not visible. The cheapest pieces have little to no grain.
This spud looking as it does in these pictures could be ivory or man made.
Note: i am not an expert in ivory so this is my opinion, not necessarily "the facts"
kj
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

knife7knut wrote:Hard to tell from the pictures but the handle material looks to be some sort of composite material rather than bone or ivory. Can't see any characteristic layering such as usually found in ivory or any Haversian canals as found in bone. Almost too white in color to be natural.I could be wrong though.
I think it may have been a folding bone rather than a budding/grafting knife that possibly was broken at some point and squared off.Most budding knives have a spey blade rather than what looks like a quill knife. Whatever the case it is a nice knife.
I am pretty much the same with each thought you've shared. I also thought that this might have been much longer as well. I will say the onlybarea that looks 'layered', or grainy.. is the but of the spade. When using a glass I can see it.
bronze4u

Post by bronze4u »

kootenay joe wrote:I have some ivory that shows no grain or wavy lines. Depending on how the tusk was cut and where from outside to center of the tusk, the cuts were made, the grain can be very visible to not visible. The cheapest pieces have little to no grain.
This spud looking as it does in these pictures could be ivory or man made.
Note: i am not an expert in ivory so this is my opinion, not necessarily "the facts"
kj
I don't really know either way as well.. Yet!
Maybe once Bill DeShivs has it in hand, he will figure it out?

Thank you, for the input!

Kirk

Return to “General Knife Discussion”