Looking for help on Ruana

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
gypsumelec

Looking for help on Ruana

Post by gypsumelec »

Just ran across this Ruana and had some questions.The signature R H Ruana looks like it was done with a electric engraver. The logo looks like it was double stamped. Being unfamiliar with fixed blade knives I could really use some info. Thanks
Richard
Attachments
20170912_184346.jpg
20170912_184417.jpg
20170912_184427.jpg
20170912_184459.jpg
Mountain Man Knives

Re: Looking for help on Ruana

Post by Mountain Man Knives »

I would suggest sending Ruana a email along with these photo's ~ You will get what your looking for from the horses mouth ~

Have Ruana Knives been around for a long time because they are high quality … or are they high quality because the craftsmen making them have been doing it for a long time? With over 100 years of combined knife making experience we think it’s most likely a little of both. We appreciate your visit to our website and invite you to find out for yourself. If you have any questions please feel free to email them to info@ruanaknives.com
gypsumelec

Post by gypsumelec »

There has to be someone out there who can help me. I have tried two calls and two emails and haven't gotten any reply from Ruana store.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

This might be of some help. http://bladesandbushlore.com/index.php?topic=9891.0 Also, they have a Facebook page. You might be able to get more information from there too.

Mike
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

That example was made shortly before R.H. Ruana was no longer able to do so, say around 1983. It is authentic. If you give me the exact length of the blade and the exact length of the knife overall, I can tell you more.
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

The electric pencil mark is right, looks like the double stamp is just that made by a shaky hand. They were made in Bonner , Mt. and are still being made by Rudy's son in law. ::tu:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

terryl308 wrote:The electric pencil mark is right, looks like the double stamp is just that made by a shaky hand. They were made in Bonner , Mt. and are still being made by Rudy's son in law. ::tu:: Terry
Rudy's son-in-law Vic Hangas no longer makes knives. He is older than I am :shock: . Vic's sons, Mark and Mike make the knives.
gypsumelec

Post by gypsumelec »

Thank you all for your comments. The following is the answer I finally got from Mike Hangas. The only other thing I was hoping someone here can answer, that Mike did not, is how much.

Mike Hangas
5:00 PM (1 hour ago)

to me
Hi Richard,

Regarding your inquiries:

The first thing is the double stamping of the logo. I have not seen that before. It was fairly common but not done on purpose. The hand stamp just skipped and no one bothered to clean up the double stamp.

the other thing is the Signature on the other side of the blade. It looks very much like it was done with a handheld electric inscribber. That is correct. It’s what Rudy Ruana used to sign knives then and we still use a similar tool for signatures on knives today.

Looks to be a model 13 B (old model 13 A) made around 1983.

Hope this info helps.

Best wishes,

Mike
gypsumelec

Post by gypsumelec »

I should be getting the COA early next week, so I think I may just put this up for auction.
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

tongueriver wrote:
terryl308 wrote:The electric pencil mark is right, looks like the double stamp is just that made by a shaky hand. They were made in Bonner , Mt. and are still being made by Rudy's son in law. ::tu:: Terry
Rudy's son-in-law Vic Hangas no longer makes knives. He is older than I am :shock: . Vic's sons, Mark and Mike make the knives.
Sorry TR, time flies when your having fun! How old are you anyway? LOL ::ds:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Completed Ebay auctions.

Only look at the ones with the price in green, they actually sold.

And you have to figure out which ones were made by Rudy.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Knives-Swords- ... =1&_ipg=50

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter

Return to “General Knife Discussion”