Dyed a couple today (bone & stag)

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
sunknife

Dyed a couple today (bone & stag)

Post by sunknife »

Thought I'd show the results of a couple knives I dyed today. The S&M white jigged bone had a pale yellowish color to it which I wasn't crazy about.
The RR whittler had stag scales that were just plain boring looking to me.
Sooooo..... I put 'em in a small pan on their sides, added enough water to cover them and slowly heated the water to a steady simmer. I continued to simmer them for 15 minutes then poured the simmering water into a coffee mug and quickly added about an ounce of RIT 'dark brown' dye and about a half teaspoon of salt to the water, stirred and quickly put the knives into the mix. I left them in the dye bath for about fifteen minutes, then removed the knives with tongs onto a paper towel and wiped the blades, bolsters and liners until clean. Rubbed down the newly dyed bone and antler handles with some mineral oil and beeswax and presto, done. The whole process took less than an hour including set up and clean up.
You can do this and be done while the wife runs a few errands and she'll never know what you were up to in her kitchen. :wink:
Attachments
dye job A - 1.jpg
dye job B - 1.jpg
dye job 1 - 1.jpg
dye job 5 - 1.jpg
dye job 2 - 1.jpg
dye job 3 - 1.jpg
Greg
bighomer

Re: Dyed a couple today (bone & stag)

Post by bighomer »

Thats outstanding good job. ::tu:: ::tu::
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Those turned out pretty good. Very nice. ::tu::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
sunknife

Post by sunknife »

Thanks fellas. I'm pleased with the alterations and now I imagine I carry these two more often.
Greg
SolWarrior

Post by SolWarrior »

Wow. Nice job there, Sunknife. They look much better. ::tu::
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

Wow nice .... very nice. Great job. Muahhh now to get the wife out of the house for a while. ::hmm::
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
Mountain Man Knives

Post by Mountain Man Knives »

Those turned out really nice, nice work and thanks for sharing your recipe with all of us ~ ::ds::
bladebuddy

Post by bladebuddy »

Wow what a difference! ::tu:: They have a much more vintage look to them. And it was as easy as that. Great job!!
Steve B.
Keep your edge sharp, otherwise you just can't cut it.

Looking for Carrier Cutlery and early Robeson with Elmira tang stamps.
Treejakal

Post by Treejakal »

They look fantastic! Have you ever tried any other colors or color mixes, i.e. a little red with the dark brown?
sunknife

Post by sunknife »

Thanks again for the comments guys. Treejakal, no brown is all I've used so far.
Dyed another one this morning, this one was an electric orange color that didn't appeal to me. This time I only left it soaking in the dye for a few minutes before removing and wiping clean. I'm much happier with the look of the knife now. The first pic is before dying and really doesn't show just how bright the orange was but it was bright, almost blindingly so. I did wipe it with alcohol first and lightly sanded the bone with 600 grit sandpaper
prior to dying to help the dye penetrate, cheap knife so not concerned if experiment were to fail.
I want to state that I did not come up with this dying method myself, lifted the info from the net.
Here are the results;
Attachments
dyed RR before pic - 1.jpg
dyed RR after pic 2 - 1.jpg
dyed threesome - 1.jpg
Greg
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Nice job on all the knives. Now you have knives which are unique to you and will carry with pride.

Bob
sunknife

Post by sunknife »

Dyed a couple more today. Forgot to take before pics but these 2 stock knives were natural, (white), bone prior to the dye bath. Used the RIT dark brown dye that I had on hand for both. The lighter colored one soaked for about 5 minutes and the darker one about 20. To me the lighter has a sort of appaloosa bone look to it now and the darker one kinda a grey bone appearance.
I'm pleased enough with the results of this experiment and it gave me something to tinker with on a Sunday. Next time I wanna try some different colors.
Attachments
dyed stockmans 1 - 1.jpg
dyed stockmans 2 - 1.jpg
Greg
sunknife

Post by sunknife »

Here's a close up pic.
Attachments
dyed stockmans 3 - 1.jpg
Greg
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Those are amazing! ::nod:: Good work and thanks for sharing! ::tu::
sunknife

Post by sunknife »

Thanks goldpan. If I bought only good looking knives I wouldn't be doing this but sometimes they look better in the pictures than they do when they arrive in the mail and you have them in hand. I have to admit though that it is kinda fun seeing what you can come up with when dying them so I'll probably buy a few more ugly ones to play with. :)
Greg
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Nice job sunknife ::tu:: Did you take the scales off the knife to dye them??
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
sunknife

Post by sunknife »

Thanks Garddogg. No the scales aren't taken off, the knives stay intact for the whole process. Once they come out of the dye I simply wipe the blades, bolsters and liners clean with a paper towel as they cool down. After they are cooled I wipe 'em down with some oil and rub some beeswax on the bone.
Greg
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Thanx Sunknife ::handshake::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson

Return to “General Knife Discussion”