What knife would you choose?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
americanjack

What knife would you choose?

Post by americanjack »

If you had to go to war what knife would you choose for your self and why ?
313 Mike

Re: What knife would you choose?

Post by 313 Mike »

KaBar USMC, battle tested as not only a knife but also as a utility tool for digging, scraping, prying, etc. Also a small folder for more detailed tasks. When I was deployed I carried a US made Gerber locking folder in a belt sheath. Semper Fi.
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Excellent choices already, and there will be some more good ones coming. I think one should consider 'war' much the same as any real survival situation. To the heavy KABAR type knife I would add a good 'scout' knife for the pocket, especially one like the Schrade/Craftsman which has the excellent sawblade. The one type of knife I would not consider would be the dagger/bowie/fighting knife types. In modern war hand-to-hand combat is probably the last combat situation one would encounter. And even for that the KABAR type would be fine. I just scored a terrible looking c. 1953 Schrade Walden military contract pilot survival knife, which, when cleaned up, will go into the truck. I paid $25 shipped for it. Most Schrade collectors don't know these exist; they are much heavier-duty than the more common ones which look similar.
pilot1.jpg
utility001.jpg
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

My choice of knife would be the M9 Bayonet,(explained below) I might also add an additional attachment: The M4 Carbine to even the odds, if needed. ::nod::

Some production runs of the M9 Bayonet have a fuller and some do not, depending upon which contractor manufactured that batch and what the military specs were at the time. The M9 Bayonet partially replaced the older M7 Bayonet, introduced in 1964. Although it has been claimed that the M9 may be more prone to breakage than the older M7, the M9 bayonet has a 20% thicker blade and tang (0.235" vs. 0.195") and a 75% greater cross-sectional area of steel in the blade than the M7.

The M4 Carbine is also capable of mounting the M203 and M320 grenade launchers. The distinctive step in its barrel is for mounting the M203 with the standard hardware. The M4 is capable of firing in semi-automatic and three-round burst modes (like the M16A2 and M16A4), while the M4A1 is capable of firing in semi-auto and full automatic modes (like the M16A1 and M16A3).
Attachments
US-Military-M9-Bayonet.jpg
USMC-110515-M-JG138-043.jpg
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Can I just stay home for this one ..............
Joe
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Good one Joe.
::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::clapping::
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Something by G.W. Stone, similar to this. You won't find better steel or craftsmanship. Not my knife but wish it was. And a good utility/scout knife.

Ken
Attachments
image.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Some knice ones coming out of Texas, Ken.
fisherfighter.jpg
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Not much fight left in me but I guess I'd go with my Bark River Bravo 1.
Attachments
Bark River Bravo 1.jpg
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Ontario she got my Uncle back from Nam
Attachments
382.jpg
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I would go with the Cold Steel Bush Ranger. Long out of production but always my favorite.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

If I was using it in hand to hand combat (really wouldn't make any difference what I had because I'd probably get killed) or in survival I'd need options...

VIC SAK Champ
Attachments
20170709_141509.jpg
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What knife would you choose

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Somewhere I recently saw a picture of an old fixed blade that had a spear-shaped blade with a rounded end - almost no point. The blade was concave like a shallow scoop, for digging. Can't recall if it had only one edge or two. Looked like a good survival knife design, probably not so good for use as a weapon though. I remember thinking it was an ugly knife but probably very practical as a survival knife. Tried to remember where I saw it but I can't find it. ::facepalm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Somewhere I recently saw a picture of an old fixed blade that had a spear-shaped blade with a rounded end - almost no point. The blade was concave like a shallow scoop, for digging. Can't recall if it had only one edge or two. Looked like a good survival knife design, probably not so good for use as a weapon though. I remember thinking it was an ugly knife but probably very practical as a survival knife. Tried to remember where I saw it but I can't find it. ::facepalm:: Ken
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fine-U-S-Army-M ... SwfsFZc8mY
1880.jpg
bluecow

Post by bluecow »

TL29. i was "light" inf. all ready had enough crap too haul on my back.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

I agree with Mike that a USMC knife or something similar would be a good choice. Nothing fancy because it is going to be used and abused. But if I had to take just one ... a Buck 110.
Mel
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

tongueriver wrote:
Mumbleypeg wrote:Somewhere I recently saw a picture of an old fixed blade that had a spear-shaped blade with a rounded end - almost no point. The blade was concave like a shallow scoop, for digging. Can't recall if it had only one edge or two. Looked like a good survival knife design, probably not so good for use as a weapon though. I remember thinking it was an ugly knife but probably very practical as a survival knife. Tried to remember where I saw it but I can't find it. ::facepalm:: Ken
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fine-U-S-Army-M ... SwfsFZc8mY
1880.jpg
Thanks Cal. That's similar to it, same basic design concept.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Maybe you could ask, "what knife did you choose to take to a war?" I took these two: a medium Kabar stockman that I bought from the MCX before a 1999 deployment to Germany for the winter V Corps exercises and for a "fighting knife" I carried a WW-II Imperial M4 Bayonet my Dad had carried in the Army in postwar Japan and gifted to me in 1990 for Desert Storm (however I didn't deploy for that one). I did take them both to OIF in 2003, I used the stockman nearly everyday - mostly to cut up the mystery meat in MRE's, cut snakes off my uniform and gear, etc. I ceremoniously cut my CSM's birthday cake one time with the Imperial Bayonet - the only time I can remember pulling it out of the scabbard while in theater. If I was going again I would choose similar knives. I'm sure the many Vietnam Veterans on AAPK could tell you about their war knives - that would be very interesting to learn about - Charlie, Jerry, Dale, and others? OH
Attachments
Kabar 1081 MCX MCBCL.JPG
DSC02160.JPG
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark

Return to “General Knife Discussion”