For a Case Collector With 4K Burning a hole in his Pocket

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

For a Case Collector With 4K Burning a hole in his Pocket

Post by gsmith7158 »

Attachments
Case big Cigar 3 Blade.jpg
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Re: For a Case Collector With 4K Burning a hole in his Pocket

Post by Paladin »

Het, such a deal! Plus, he has chittlin's enuf to charge for mailing that dandy piece of merchandise to you.... :lol:

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

Greg, the XX 6394 1/2 is a rare knife. It worth the money only if it never been cleaned and is in Mint condition. I wouldn't pay that base on pictures. I've only seen one that was Mint and it was price a little more.

I don't believe the knife was ever on a display board
Larry W

Happiness is looking for XX Case Red Stag Knives
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

jlw257 wrote:Greg, the XX 6394 1/2 is a rare knife. It worth the money only if it never been cleaned and is in Mint condition. I wouldn't pay that base on pictures. I've only seen one that was Mint and it was price a little more.

I don't believe the knife was ever on a display board
Yes Larry ,rare indeed. It's a nice knife and I know ebay would be proud of the purchaser. :D
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

EvilBay hopes it sells for that price, too...they'll skim $750 for their "share"....Gawd, I hate that 20% fee :x
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

There were some thread posts in Summer / Fall of 2016 for a Case XX 6394 1/2 red bone that sold at auction on eBay a couple of times (sold-returned-sold-resold). The knife I'm referring to had a small chip in the handle. It appears to have sold for between $2,000 and $2,200 across its various transactions. The latest one available does seem to be in better shape than the one from last year. Here is a link to the earlier AAPK discussion.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49646#p528901

Asking prices on Case collectible knives do seem to have taken a pretty big jump over the past few months, in my observation.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

RalphAlsip wrote:There were some thread posts in Summer / Fall of 2016 for a Case XX 6394 1/2 red bone that sold at auction on eBay a couple of times (sold-returned-sold-resold). The knife I'm referring to had a small chip in the handle. It appears to have sold for between $2,000 and $2,200 across its various transactions. The latest one available does seem to be in better shape than the one from last year. Here is a link to the earlier AAPK discussion.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49646#p528901

Asking prices on Case collectible knives do seem to have taken a pretty big jump over the past few months, in my observation.
If that's the case Jerry, I'm wondering if I can up the valuations on my knives and finally declare myself as a millionaire! ::woot::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Greg, you're already a knifillionaire (lol). I'd be surprised if selling prices have moved as much as asking prices.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I know this guy. Very straight shooter. You get the knife and don't like it, 100% return policy. All my dealings with him have been outside of ebay. I bought the mintest Remington scout knife I've ever seen from him.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

espn77 wrote:I know this guy. Very straight shooter. You get the knife and don't like it, 100% return policy. All my dealings with him have been outside of ebay. I bought the mintest Remington scout knife I've ever seen from him.
Keith I'll bet he would prefer to sell this one that way as well.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Oh I'm sure. I hate selling my knives on eBay but it's the best exposure I know of to help me buy more Remington knives ::shrug:: I'm not saying his price isn't high. Just saying he is a pretty good guy.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Being mostly ignorant of high dollar knives, I looked that one up in the #9 Traders guide. ::woot:: Way out of my league! I remember a few years ago, someone stated that these #9 prices should probably multiplied by 80 or 85% to be realistic. Have such knives gone back up?
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

treefarmer wrote:Being mostly ignorant of high dollar knives, I looked that one up in the #9 Traders guide. ::woot:: Way out of my league! I remember a few years ago, someone stated that these #9 prices should probably multiplied by 80 or 85% to be realistic. Have such knives gone back up?
Treefarmer
No, at least not in my opinion. I find that Case knives tend to bring 40% to 50% of book.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

This one is pretty rare guys .A prize for Case collectors. ::nod::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
rexstubbins

Post by rexstubbins »

Seller states that it has never been cleaned. What looks odd to me is the big gaps between backspring and liners. If it has never been cleaned or used then why the gaps? Just my observation and I could be completely wrong.
Doug

The words vintage and antique are vague. Actually most words are vague. Even the word vague is vague.
Pocket Knife Art
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

If I had 4 grand burning a hole in my pocket, I would buy that fine display that Steve has versus this knife. However, in case you are not aware, this knife was made likely 2 years. six years at most in late 40s'/early 50s'. Not sure some here realize the rarity of this knife. VERY RARE!
I have only seen 3 of these example, 2 red bones and a used green bone I own that I held in my hand on and off as I write this post. Never observed another green bone. Point being very rare.
This one is a fine example and worth every penny asked in my opinion.

If it was a member's knife here, I am sorry but what would be the ebay asking price? I know some would have it right where it is now. I would. Sell or not that is it. Takes a special buyer for what in my opinion is a special knife, your opinion obviously may vary.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Agreed Jerry! the knife is worth $2500-$3000 but sellers hands are tied by Ebay.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

Looks to be minty, if not spanky condition. I'd never pay that, but somebody will. If I were rich, would be fun to buy a knife like that & just throw it in my pocket & go fishing with it. It would be like a time machine when you could just buy a knife like that and use it without guilt ...
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
rexstubbins

Post by rexstubbins »

I don't disagree that this is a rare knife and would love to have it myself. Does anyone have any opinion on the gaps between back spring and liners? Just one thing that would worry me if purchasing.
Doug

The words vintage and antique are vague. Actually most words are vague. Even the word vague is vague.
Pocket Knife Art
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

I'm with Rex, F& F leaves a lot to be desired imho. It could be the photos. But a that price I wouldn't want gaps in the back springs. ::shrug:: ::td::
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

My additional opinion, what an awful "mat or background " for any knife pictures. I examined closely each pic. In one instance looked like choil had seen a shredder. I realized it was a reflection of the background. The gaps are likely an optical illusion but if I were chasing that knife, I would request better pictures.
That said, I see enough in the current pictures to know she is a rare beast. Manufacturing flaw or not.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I'm with Rex. I see what appear to be a lot of gaps for what is supposed to be a factory fresh mint knife.

Could be optical illusion but it sure looks like a large gap between the liner and the spey blade tang.
Attachments
6394 gap.jpg
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

I agree totally with Jerry and Wayne. Imho someone selling knives of this caliber should do a better job with their photos. Of course it's way out of my knife world anyway, if he was charging to look at I wouldn't have seen it. ::woot:: :wink:
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Here is a back spring comparison of the eBay knife with some other 6394 1/2 examples. The eBay knife is 2nd in the stack, a Case Tested XX 6394 1/2 green bone on top, a Case XX 6394 1/2 red bone 3rd, and a Case XX 6394 1/2 green bone on bottom. There are differences in camera angle, lighting, and cropping technique that affect the comparison. As far as I know, a red bone 6394 1/2 was not made in Tested XX era (a red bone Tested XX red bone 6294 was made).

Recently, in another thread someone posed a question something to the effect of "Case the best years?". viewtopic.php?f=66&t=52927&start=30#p581556 The Tested knife in this comparison looks to be "tighter" than the XX examples. It's not valid to draw any conclusions from this sample size either on Case era or bone color even though the green bone examples look tighter than red bone examples.

PS: I agree a textured black background used for knives (or anything shiny) is a poor choice.
Attachments
Case 6394 1/2 Back Spring Comparison
Case 6394 1/2 Back Spring Comparison
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

Thanks Jerry for the comparison, ::tu:: ::tu::
Larry W

Happiness is looking for XX Case Red Stag Knives

Return to “General Knife Discussion”